By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell says the PS3 is a waste of everybody's time

Interesting parts;

"Edge: Going back to thinking about different platforms, we notice that you aren’t developing the PS3 version of The Orange Box in-house. Do you have some horror stories to share?

GN: I think the people who have The Orange Box on the PS3 are going to be happy with their game experience. We’ve done the PC and 360 versions here and EA has a team doing the PS3 version – and they’ll make the PS3 version a good product; EA got the job done in putting a lot of people with PS3 experience on the project. But I think it’s harder to get it to the same standard as the 360 and PC versions."

"Edge: A while ago you said that you thought Sony should do a 'do-over' with PS3. Do you still think that?

GN: Absolutely. I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody’s time. Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created. I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box. I don’t think it’s a good solution."

Interview is worth a read, especially after the excellence that is the orange box. He says some intersting things about the direction the PC is moving in, not to mention the unabashed PS3 bashing.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

he's known to be a sony hater anyways... what did you expect?

vizunary said:
he's known to be a sony hater anyways... what did you expect?

He wasn't a Sony hater until he tried to develop a PS3 game.  This isn't just mindless fanboyism - This is one of the most highly regarded developers in the industry having hands on experience with the console and telling us how he feels about it.

He's a PC game maker.  If anything, he should sorta see eye to eye with the Sony philosophy... 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

It seems many other developers share his views on the Cell doing more harm than good to development of games.

Who is he?

Around the Network

^ Ooops, just realised. Valve.

So far John Carmack and Gabe Newell have been very critical of the Cell architecture, while Epic has had to reduce the scope of Unreal Tournament 3 and Factor 5 couldn't get a steady framerate.

Of western developers with a track record of getting solid performance out of a system who's left?

He's obviously isn't alone in his opinion. Look at Monster Hunter 3....

The Cell seems to be one hell of a processor,but if what devs are saying is any indication,its use to develop games was a mistake on Sony´s part.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=8329&start=0#end

There is already a thread on this. 

It is just gabe Newell's latest rant. I am surprised he has waited so long to take a shot at the PS3. So now he hates DirectX 10, the mac, the 360 and the PS3. Half Life Episode 3 on the Wii?