By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why You should buy Phat, NOT Slim

Did you buy another PS3, Zen?

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Oh shit yeah!

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

dsister44 said:
I like my PS3 to match me

I dont want a human PS3 unless it does dishes after making my bacon.

Zen

You getting in a huff doesn't mean I can't participate in your topic.

Now, several people in this topic (myself included) have presented how different value sets make the Slim a better buy. How do you respond?

steverhcp02 said:
dsister44 said:
I like my PS3 to match me

I dont want a human PS3 unless it does dishes after making my bacon.

I meant fat and loud xD

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:
I seriously don't see the point of your thread. You base all your points on assumption. Sony owns both, and i do believe they want to clear out the phat version anyway.

Some threads don't have "points." Some threads just state things that most people might be too ignorant to think of themselves. Those threads help the consumer. To clear up your misunderstanding, the point of this thread is to tell everyone that buying a slim instead of a phat has certain risks. Obviously. At the very least, this thread points out the the phat has proven dependability, and the slim doesn't.

Now, what is the point of you speaking to me? Did you think this thread had something to do with me disliking Sony? It doesn't. Seriously.

The most unreliable PS3 is the one most people like and the one I have, the 60 gig version, and once again I ask you, What's your point?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Finally, to those people who somehow take offense to this thread as a bash at Sony, ask yourself this:

1. As a gamer, do I believe that sometimes, new consoles have certain bugs that are only worked out in subsequent versions?

2. Or, do subsequent versions of said consoles often improve certain features that were found lacking in the original?

3. Is the current version of the PS3 phat bad enough that I would risk said bugs and purchase a soon to be obsolete version of the slim, in order to "upgrade" from it?

I have no problem with those who want the slim. It's fine. However, the slim doesn't play games better. It doesn't have better specs, or a faster BR drive. It's just smaller, and might have a few bugs to work out. Why be the one to work them out? There is nothing wrong with choosing the phat, that it's a smart choice for a savvy consumer.

Now, flame away gents.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

6. The phat is at the pinnacle of the phat PS3 technology.

LOL

Strikes me as funny like there is a whole industry built around Phat technology that may soon be headed the way of the Buggy Whip.

Zenfoldor makes some great points the Slim is unproven. I don't think it is likely to have any hardware issues. But if you asked a person that bought a launch 360 they probably didn't think it would break 2 or 3 times in the first year.

"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!"

"Bolshe, luchshe, I kruche"

ZenfoldorVGI said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Oh shit yeah!

Man. So much Sony lovin' going around today. It must be contagious D:

Khuutra said:
Zen

You getting in a huff doesn't mean I can't participate in your topic.

Now, several people in this topic (myself included) have presented how different value sets make the Slim a better buy. How do you respond?

First, @psrock

I couldn't have been more clear with my points. Everybody else understands them.

@Khuutra

I said it in my last post.

I have no problems with people wanting a PS3 slim, especially for practical purposes. However, those practical purposes are what I would consider insignificant. This thread is just my opinion, afterall.

That said, and this is true, dispute it or not, most new console hardware has bugs that it needs to work out. That is why different updates and chipsets are released for them. That is why the PS3 phat now uses less power, and is quieter. That is they the RRoD issue has gone away, and that is why the PS3s don't crap out as much as they used to, during the good ole 60gb days.

That is why the DS lite's hinges don't break, and why the PSP doesn't come with dead pixils anymore.

Because new consoles have bugs. Usually.

You can invest in the slim, and hope you get lucky. Or you can be 100 percent sure you are getting a dependable console with the phat.

Now, surely, you don't intend to imply that a simple 1 year warranty can negate the possibility that you might end up with a gimped PS3 for the rest of this gen.

All for what? Why go through the extra trouble and uncertainty and wait, to purchase the console?

The HD size? The console size?

Well, that's fine. I suppose if those things are important to you, then you should focus on them, rather than if your console overheats, or has a faulty rail system, or a mass marketing defect.

I, sir, am OCD, and I would worry so much over buying a slim at launch, and becoming an early adopter, that I couldn't enjoy it. It offers no real functionality over the previous models. Especially considering the HD it comes with is slow and upgradeable.

I'm not trying to disprove you, or disprove anything you've said.

I am trying to convey what I feel most consumers should know. The argument for picking up a slim. If you can get past the relatively insignificant upgrades, you might find out that being safe is more important to you than being small.

NO NO, NO NO NO.