By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict PS3 Slims first week

Bokal said:
Depends on advertisement, and on how many 300$ phat are sold before...

275K I'd say

I don't advertising is going to be a problem. Everyone is talking about the price drop and the Slim model. Plus when people go to Amazon.com and Gamestop.com they are shown the limit policies of those 2 sites. So it's even easier to boost brand appeal if your product is in such high demand.

Around the Network

Forget being modest, i'm not being that conservative- 1st week sales well over 450K with at least 200k coming from US alone.

when the PS2's Slimline model came out it made a massive impact on PS2 sales. Sony struggled to meet demand for a while.

150k USA// 170k EUROPE// 120k Japan = 440,000 units. Most of you are making the ps3 too low in japan.

350-400 Thousand. I feel that Japan alone will do between 80-120 thousand, EU is where Sony will see big sales, the countries there will take the most advantage of the new price right away, The USA however, will be surprisingly low for Sony for the price, and that's because I think people in the U.S are waiting for software for the PS3.
Pretty sure American will wait until the holidays before they really jump on the PS3, so around Christmas I expect huge numbers for the PS3 in the U.S, might even beat out EU Christmas numbers. Also, if movie studios really start pushing Bluray this holiday, Sony will have a hard time meeting demand in the west.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Guys, you are seriously underestimating Japan. PSP sold 270k when the slim version launched there, up from 15k the previous week.

The PSP is actually a succesful console handheld in Japan.

Fixed.

As far as Japan goes, that's an artificial distinction that has no relevance towards their gaming habits.

In Japan a handheld is a console and it competes against the Wii, PS3, etc. Both for usertime and usercash.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

I'm picking 237,518.

Tho' as a measure of success I'd say anything less than 200K will be a major disappointment for Sony and rather a bad sign that the PS3 is unlikely to improve its position. Anywhere between 200 & 300K is PS3 meeting expectations and it will start catching up to 360. >300k and I think it has a good chance of eating significantly into the Wii gap long term. Edit: by these numbers I mean the combined total of the launch weeks for each region, e.g. if Slim launches 1 week later in Others than in Americas/Japan then.

I think Phat PS3 sales are going to jump in markets where the slim price is being put onto the Phat (which doesn't seem to be happening here). So Phat could even nudge the 200K mark if there really is a large wave of people just waiting for the PS3 to hit that $299 mark. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Japan - 150k
NA - 250k
Europe - 400k

Total - 800k

over 9000

Do you want japanese voices in FF13 and Versus 13? Write to these guys and tell them: support@square-enix-usa.com

300k total