By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Film Coming Out Called "Gamer"

sguy78 said:
Itwesterm said:
This movie is stupid, no other way to put it.

Ignoring the fact it has someone calling themselves Ludicrous, it's just a stupid premise. It sounds like some genius writer who has never played a game thought the concept would be cool and edgy while appealing to the hip young crowd when it actually just falls flat in its face.

I don't get why so many rappers are getting acting gigs. Aren't there some good, stuggling black actors out there who could use the part? I mean, I can hang on every word that Morgan Freeman speaks in his films. Samuel L. Jackson is great in just about everything he does. But it seems that a large portion of the black acting gigs these days are going to rappers that can't act. I don't get it.

Stereotypes are more fun?

Around the Network
twesterm said:
sguy78 said:
Itwesterm said:

Ignoring the fact it has someone calling themselves Ludicrous, it's just a stupid premise. It sounds like some genius writer who has never played a game thought the concept would be cool and edgy while appealing to the hip young crowd when it actually just falls flat in its face.

I don't get why so many rappers are getting acting gigs. Aren't there some good, stuggling black actors out there who could use the part? I mean, I can hang on every word that Morgan Freeman speaks in his films. Samuel L. Jackson is great in just about everything he does. But it seems that a large portion of the black acting gigs these days are going to rappers that can't act. I don't get it.

Those kind of 'actors' are a bigger draw in for the target audience of this film I suspect.

twesterm said:
sguy78 said:
Itwesterm said:

Hey, that could be it.

sguy78 said:
Itwesterm said:

I tend to agree, but if we're speaking directly about Ludacris, he's actually a pretty competent actor. He's a bit one dimensional for sure, but within the context of playing a dirtbag criminal type or movie rapper, he does his job well. For reference, watch Hustle & Flow and Crash, two movies he did his part in admirably. Plus we've had other good actors come out of rapping like Will Smith(Ali), Ice Cube(Boyz N the Hood), Ice-T(Law and Order: SVU), "Marky" Mark Wahlberg(The Departed) and Mos Def(Be Kind Rewind). It's not all bad and some of them are very effective actors as well as emcees.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I don't think it's a bad thing that this movie is stupid. It's supposed to be just a mindless actionfest. It's so fucking hypocritical, people lauding movies like Grindhouse or Snakes on a Plane, and talking about all the B-movies and grindhouse and exploitation films from the old days like they were masterpieces, and then criticizing movies like these. There's always movies like these, that are just supposed to be pure fun without thinking.

Around the Network

It looks okay, I'm not expecting too much though.

Stupid plot, stupid name, stupid premise, stupid look, stupid advertising. District 9 was awesome and we have Inglorious Basterds to close the summer season proper. Why bother with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Akvod said:
I don't think it's a bad thing that this movie is stupid. It's supposed to be just a mindless actionfest. It's so fucking hypocritical, people lauding movies like Grindhouse or Snakes on a Plane, and talking about all the B-movies and grindhouse and exploitation films from the old days like they were masterpieces, and then criticizing movies like these. There's always movies like these, that are just supposed to be pure fun without thinking.

There's still supposed to be something grabbing you in to see the movies, not just seeing them for the fact that they're mindless. Snakes on a Plane had the awesomeness factor of having a cursing Samuel L. Jackson in the movie and the fact that the premise was ridiculous in a good way. Grindhouse was exploitation but was incredibly well written because of the talented directors behind them. The thing is, even the premise of Gamer doesn't seem all that interesting because of how many times it's been tried before. Death Race, The Condemned, and it's basically a mirror image of The Running Man.

On top of all of this, the trailer isn't very grabbing with it's dialogue, and even in a mindless movie, you still need some catchy and effective dialogue to move the film along. Chalk it up to poor editors doing the marketing by building a crappy trailer, but this movie just doesn't look like very much fun to watch based on it.

Regarding the masterpieces of exploitation, there were hundreds upon hundreds of those films back in the '70s. How many really turned out to be masterpieces we still talk about today? 20? Maybe 50 for the most die hard fans of the genre? Not every exploitation film is thought of to be anything worthwhile, and it took something special to make the few that did stand out actually noticeable to people.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I'm pretty sure this is going to crash and burn quickly at the box office.

Gerard's character better hope that the guy controlling him is one damn good gamer