By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Moore blames Wii for EA Sports staff exodus

^ It was just thought to be a good opportunity to troll and it backfired.

Around the Network

EA Sports employees left because of the Wii?

According to what Peter Moore says, some employees at EA Sports left because of the Expanded Audience: (EDIT: employees didn’t leave but were not excited at all about making games for the ‘casual gamers’)

“[They] couldn’t take the change of pace,” he added. “It was hard. A lot of people at that time thought they would move on from our studios–they wanted to chase the core consumer.”

Moore said that EA Sports learned from the change and has established itself a “position with social and family entertainment.”

Prior to the Wii coming out, I did hear some game developers say that if the Wii became successful, they would leave the ‘games industry’ to work in the ‘movie industry’. I wonder where those guys are now.

You know my perspective on all this. I remember the days of the Generation Zero game developers (you know, the ones who actually built this ‘industry’). They wanted to put their talents to work on something than making bombs for the Vietnam War. They often worked on games in garages. They had no prestige. The economy of the 70s was quite similar to today. Their parents thought they were a failure because they wouldn’t get a ‘real job’. All these guys wished was to be able to make video-games for a living and were very grateful if they could do so.

Today, many game developers are getting upset that they don’t get to make games for themselves. These guys are in for major humble pie. With the way how the trends are moving against the “games industry”, it is not certain that the “games industry” will survive. In a world where many people are losing their jobs, let alone not having jobs that they wanted in the first place, a game developer should consider himself lucky if he has steady employment making games… any games.

The era where a game developer could make a game purely for his own interests are long gone. They should be more concerned whether their company will stay in business. EA’s change of direction toward the Expanded Audience might have just saved the company… and all their jobs.

Publishers’ reaction to the Wii is very odd. Their reaction is, “Nintendo games are always the top sellers, what is there left for us?” They don’t realize that Nintendo’s job is to increase the installed base with their games which is why their games are in the top sales. Nintendo doesn’t have the luxury to make games (aside from a few) that doesn’t drive momentum. Third parties do.

So it is no surprise they would see Wii Sports pack-in as if Nintendo stole all the ’sports dollars’. The reality that they should have saw was that all the people who bought a Wii for Wii Sports are INTERESTED in sports games. This means these customers will buy a Golf game or a Baseball game or another sports title. NES gamers who bought the NES for Super Mario Brothers clearly bought other platform games.

Instead of seeing the grand opportunity in front of them, of all these new customers who bought a system to play video-game sports, these EA Sports guys saw it as a negative! They thought Wii Sports took AWAY any potential customers instead of actually building the potential customers.

This is how many outside companies view the Wii. They believe all the money is being ’soaked up’ by Nintendo games and there is nothing left for them!

Ironically, Madden had always been considered for casual gamers.

TheBigFatJ said:
Ironically, Madden had always been considered for casual gamers.

sssshhhhh! What if the former EA employees hear you? They will kill themselves!

I LOVE ICELAND!

i hate EA sports division for monopolizing the NFL and killing the 2k football games.

Around the Network
gansito said:
i hate EA sports division for monopolizing the NFL and killing the 2k football games.

I hate EA even more for killing Westwood, the creator of RTS games.

I LOVE ICELAND!

it seems that the ea staff don't like to work much.

ClaudeLv250 is right... read the quote again, nowhere does he say that people actually left the company for this reason. He says some "thought" they would leave.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I find it strange that they would leave for that reason alone, unless it was just the straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think you guys are having trouble grasping why its "fun" to work in the brutal, cutthroat games industry.

If you took away the creative aspect of making games, pretty much everyone would quit. There isn't really much money in it, relative to other industries where the same types of workers are employed, and the workload isn't as outrageous. 50 hours/week is the status uo, and during the last 6-9 months of a project, it 60 hours/week. The pay isn't better, either -- in fact, if you account for the time invested, its worse... much worse, than, for example, an IT job, even though you're on-call at most decent-paying IT jobs, the stress is WAY less.

You can goon about how there's money in dem dere Wii hills all you want. Ask yourself... money for who? Who makes the money? You think the devs get it, and are thus "inspired" by it? LoL. Anyone who believes this should band together, rustle up some capital, and start a publishing company, because.. at least while you could afford to operate, you'd have developers knocking your door down -- because you'd be paying devs a lot more than they make from anyone else, right? Breaking that whole "Wii games are cheap to make" mold? Fighting for thr Wii, and inspiring creativity with all the cash you'll be rolling in?

Developers dislike the Wii primarily because it offers them nothing, on a personal level, unlike the HDs. No money, no creativity, no challenge... no nothing.

Other than that its a great console to own and work on. I sure wish some 3rd world devs would kick it into gear and make some decent games for it though.