By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Moore blames Wii for EA Sports staff exodus

Destroyer_of_knights said:
Soriku said:
Hmmm, I suppose the people unwilling to change, are those that wanted to see if they could push themselves and push the hardware to try and achieve more realistic graphics, and more realistic animations and AI....the wii to them may have been a stagnant pool of water, and found their river on the teams that were handling games for the competition. Hell it's like an abstract artist being told, you are no longer doing abstract art, your now doing anime art, so get cracking....To this abstract artist, he's lost the freedom to express and progress the form of art which he loves.

So really it's not that they don't want to change per se, more that they want to refine and progress what they've been doing all these years with out being hindered.

take that as you will.

So if they really wanted a challenge, why not strive to make unique gameplay with the Wii? Graphics are cool and all but we're playing games not watching them. Don't see why they can't make something different instead of making generic sports game 9982 or generic shooter 7761.

most gameplay designers may have stayed back, but people who are programmers for graphic engines, or the like, along with the artist that work on textures and models may feel servilely limited on the wii, and choose to work on the HD console because the power of the console gives them more freedom to play around with ideas, not only that but it gives them the power to realise their ideas in full.

I mean with the power to do heavy physics, a developer was able to create a game like Little Big Planet that, and the artist have the graphics power to create an atmospheric world like Bioshock, these games would not be the same if done on weaker hardware, the the ideas these people had would not have been fully realised they way they were. That's not to say that the same can't be don't on the with the wii, I mean their are ideas that can only be realised because of the wiimote, so they wouldn't work the same on the other machines.

Just remember that the wii only brings the controller to the table, it does not bring raw processing power nor power graphical grunt. If however, Nintendo had of at least brought enough CPU and GPU power to do native 720p, along with the wiimote, then what we would have seen this generation is what we saw the PS2 do in it's own generation, but that's simply not the case, so what we see, is what we have now. People with allot of physics, AI, Animation art, and gameplay ideas are mainly on the HD console, while people with ideas for unique controls are on the wii.

I'll end with this, to developers, If it's your passion and interest then do what you do best, on the platform you do it best on. To the people here, these people that moved on did just that. Why be unhappy doing something you don't like or simply doesn't interest you when you have the option to do something that you do...remember these people have interest and passions just like the rest of us so there's nothing wrong with them moving on.

You're right that in many cases more power = more innovation but I think you're discounting how much having limited power can also lead to innovation. Look at the portables. They have very weak power that developers need to be smart in order to use them to their greatest extent. Scribblenauts is one of the most innovative and unique games ever, on the weakest system of this generation! Due to the "graphical limitations" of the wii hardware, the developers chose to utilize a very stylized black and white art style for Madworld that was also innovative.

Limitations in hardware force developers to be smart with what they have in order to come up with unique solutions.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Hmmm, I suppose the people unwilling to change, are those that wanted to see if they could push themselves and push the hardware to try and achieve more realistic graphics, and more realistic animations and AI....the wii to them may have been a stagnant pool of water, and found their river on the teams that were handling games for the competition. Hell it's like an abstract artist being told, you are no longer doing abstract art, your now doing anime art, so get cracking....To this abstract artist, he's lost the freedom to express and progress the form of art which he loves.

So really it's not that they don't want to change per se, more that they want to refine and progress what they've been doing all these years with out being hindered.

take that as you will.

So if they really wanted a challenge, why not strive to make unique gameplay with the Wii? Graphics are cool and all but we're playing games not watching them. Don't see why they can't make something different instead of making generic sports game 9982 or generic shooter 7761.

most gameplay designers may have stayed back, but people who are programmers for graphic engines, or the like, along with the artist that work on textures and models may feel servilely limited on the wii, and choose to work on the HD console because the power of the console gives them more freedom to play around with ideas, not only that but it gives them the power to realise their ideas in full.

I mean with the power to do heavy physics, a developer was able to create a game like Little Big Planet that, and the artist have the graphics power to create an atmospheric world like Bioshock, these games would not be the same if done on weaker hardware, the the ideas these people had would not have been fully realised they way they were. That's not to say that the same can't be don't on the with the wii, I mean their are ideas that can only be realised because of the wiimote, so they wouldn't work the same on the other machines.

Just remember that the wii only brings the controller to the table, it does not bring raw processing power nor power graphical grunt. If however, Nintendo had of at least brought enough CPU and GPU power to do native 720p, along with the wiimote, then what we would have seen this generation is what we saw the PS2 do in it's own generation, but that's simply not the case, so what we see, is what we have now. People with allot of physics, AI, Animation art, and gameplay ideas are mainly on the HD console, while people with ideas for unique controls are on the wii.

I'll end with this, to developers, If it's your passion and interest then do what you do best, on the platform you do it best on. To the people here, these people that moved on did just that. Why be unhappy doing something you don't like or simply doesn't interest you when you have the option to do something that you do...remember these people have interest and passions just like the rest of us so there's nothing wrong with them moving on.

Limitations only make the artists show their best. A perfect example is the games from the NES era. those where the times of true revolution in gaming.

KungKras said:
vlad321 said:

Are you fucking with me? When were video games about something else?

From PS1/PS2/X360 launch, up until Wii came out.

I think you must have made some kind of typo there. Did you mean that PS1/2 and 360 have a lot of fun games while wii does not have fun games?

If I was forced to work on the Wii, I would leave too.

Lots more interesting stuff to do elsewhere. Let the blind, sightless drones, who work for money, not soul, do the dirty work of bringing the same old crap to the casual consumer in a "refreshing, simple, easy to use" way. I'd go do something interesting instead.

A zillion dollars might change my mind... then after making the zillion dollars, I would leave and.. do something interesting with it, rather than continuing on the dreary path of squeezing every last "creative" drop out of the Wii's now-ancient tech.

Maybe if EA started doing 2D sports games again, the art and programming teams would find themselves "challenged" to make something great, and would be interested.  Maybe if they used punch cards, it might be even more awesome.  Or tradeable sports card games!  I can hear the cash jingling in the casual "sports" consumer's pocket now!  Sports cards, and sports crosswords... the challenges await.  This does have to be done with a budget of $5 and a box of toothpicks, after all.  That won't be easy.  There won't be any sleeping for certain, and that'll be "fun".

So people are willing to give up a paycheck just so they dont have to try something new?

Pa. The. Tic.

Around the Network

To paraphrase what he said... "Sports games used to be about realism... now they're about fun."

I'm sure people will try to paint this negativly though.

Anyone who doesn't make a game to be fun....

well shouldn't be making games.

It'd be like someone who makes airbags quitting their job because their company wants to make airbags safer.

^ except the new games they are making aren't fun ={

I blame Wii fit.

I read the article and don't understand why it is being spun negatively.

Hmm very misleading thread title. Should have read the article and put a little more thought into the name. Really hard to comment on it considering the title and the actual content is almost completely different.

Nonetheless, even if they did leave, blaming the Wii for not having "developer freedom" when you work for EA (huge corporate publisher) may be one of the funniest things I've heard haha.