By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Moore blames Wii for EA Sports staff exodus

From Tomshardware - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-Wii-EA-Sports-Game,news-4439.html

According to Develop Online, EA Sports' Peter Moore spoke during a keynote address at the Edinburgh Interactive conference held earlier today, blaming the casual gamer for the loss of many EA Sports staff members. More specifically, he pointed the finger at Nintendo's Wii console and the huge load of casual gamers tagging along.

For a company that has spent decades creating super-realistic gamers for core players, many of the in-house developers were left bewildered, he indicated. 

Before the Wii, sports games were used to show how realistic games had become over the previous year

"But then this thing [the Wii] came along and presented us with some challenges," he explained. "The dynamics changed with the launch of the Wii--play and fun was coming back in, the demographic was changing enormously, and the amount of time to play was being compressed."

Apparently EA Sports developers viewed Wii Sports as a huge competition, an interactive sports title that came free with the console. Because they were too accustomed in developing detailed games for core gamers, they were unwilling to tackle titles for a general audience, the casual gamer.

"[They] couldn't take the change of pace," he added. "It was hard. A lot of people at that time thought they would move on from our studios--they wanted to chase the core consumer."

Moore said that EA Sports learned from the change and has established itself a "position with social and family entertainment."

Around the Network

Well that's actually pretty interesting. I like how he notes that many staffers were simply unwilling to try to adjust to the new status quo.

I have to agree with him, he makes a great point.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

And the point of that is?? Some poeple don't like the change and they walked off, I'm wonder if they could get another job.

Peter Moore is not complaining on the Wii in that text.

He is just saying that some of the staff on EA sports were too egocentric to develop for Wii and left. Good riddance I say.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Aion said:

That companies need to get with the times and adjust so as to cater to the mainstream market?

Edit:

@CGI: That is actually what Mr. Moore is saying.

Well just look at how much money they have earned with their all so pretty games...

Might be a good thing then that they have lost those people.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Aion said:

O RLY? Then in that case, please explain the point that he makes that you agree on.

I LOVE ICELAND!

It is very rude of Nintendo to come into the market all brazen wanting sports games to be fun. Who wants that?
Not that it matters to me, I hate the EA Sports titles.

Well, let them go then.