By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Virtual Console Sales

Around the Network

That's a lot of dollars pure profit on games that already earned money. Hooray for the smartest business decision in years: No investment, Big Bucks.

It is a lot, I would of thought there would of been more freaks like me though who have downloaded about 25 VC games, so many I needed a 2gig SD card.

What is 360's Live Arcade total downloads?

Say the average is 800 pts per game over that 7.8 million.

800 pts = $8

7.8 million x $8 = $62,400,000

Wow. Just Wow.

What I was infact trying to point out is the constant angle of the purchases, they haven't died off at all, it's just constant.

OriGin said:

Say the average is 800 pts per game over that 7.8 million.

800 pts = $8

7.8 million x $8 = $62,400,000

Wow. Just Wow.

What I was infact trying to point out is the constant angle of the purchases, they haven't died off at all, it's just constant.

I think Christmas time will buck the trend.  People will get a few Wii points cards for stocking stuffers so expect those numbers to jump.  I expected sales to be around 1 billion dollars during a single year for the VC.  So Nintendo has a long way to go.  Perhaps one of the reasons why they are offering internet lessons in Japan.  So expect to see around 125 million game downloads in a single year if my prediction comes true at some point.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

I actually see that graph as slightly disappointing. Here is why:

- the number of Wii units sold is increasing in a "roughly" linear fashion

- the number of VC titles available is also increasing in a "linear" fashion

Now if you assume that people who buy VC titles, "gradually" (at least) buy extra titles - that is sort of a "n^2" curve you should be seeing. But its almost completely linear.

I think the reason is this: a higher % of early adopters have jumped online, and done the VC downloading. As time goes on, less people are going online - and less people are starting to purchase VC titles.

There are a couple of easy solutions for Ninty:

- put some really compelling software online (Brawl, WiiFit, DS Demo Station) - this will encourage a lot more people to jump online.

- bundle some Wii points (1000pts?) with each Wii bundle. Possibly lock to each Wii unit, or do online - such that they can't be sold or given to other people. This will encourage a lot more people to actually download/purchase VC titles.

If all goes to plan, there should be a LOT more VC titles purchased by the end of the year - closer to 12m. Maybe even 15-20m by March '08. WiiWare will only send this rocketing as well.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Hrm, ive got 24 VC console games, so many classics though, it just makes me smile to see them all lined up on my console. Keep them coming! BRING ON DOSHIN THE GIANT! (64DD version i think)

Games i'm currently playing:

i have a a handful--its not for lack of wanting thou--i just can afford them and new games---so sad

I have 0 on my console.
It's not that I don't want any, I'm still waiting for them to turn my 40,000+ stars into Wii points!!

The continued sucess can be atributed to the constant flow of new titles. I hope than can continue that for years to come.

I think it is too early to really see a trend. I feel that a n^2 curve would be more appropriate, more console owners plus more games available, but you have to remember that seasonal trends mess with the graph when you only have a few points.

I think the Jan and April totals were skewed up by holiday Wii point cards, Wii points purchased at launch, and lack of diversity among Wii titles. The 2008 trend will be more telling. I had originally expected sales as high as DarkNight_DS had but only time will tell.

The way look as it, estimate 1/3 of Wii owners online, they are averaging 2 games a piece. I would be really interested to see what percentage of owners have logged on online, have looked at the store, and what percentage regularly go online on their Wii.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt