By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WiFi on 360 without paying for over priced adapter?

any wireless bridge will work.. they made some for the original Xbox and PS2 as well... with a bridge you're not stuck with A,B,G either... you can get a N bridge

Around the Network

If everything in your house is wireless why not just put your router right by your 360? It doesn't matter where it's located for your other devices. The only difference is that now you don't have to pay $85 for an adapter. You could buy a 2ft ethernet cable and that'd be more than enough.

We just recently built the upstairs of the house and that is where all of my wireless stuff is located. There is no phone line, cable, etc... up here at the moment so I can't see myself hooking the router up here.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Cueil said:
any wireless bridge will work.. they made some for the original Xbox and PS2 as well... with a bridge you're not stuck with A,B,G either... you can get a N bridge

Yes.

Easiest thing to do? Buy an old original Xbox wifi adapter. Fry's had some for like $35. You configure a few things - don't put the disc in there - and you'll be online. I think Madskillz mentioned doing that a while back with his PS3.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

Around the Network

Option 1

If you have an old Linksys WRT54G v1.0-4 router laying around, you can load the Tomato firmware on it and use it as a bridge to connect to you main Wireless Router that's connected to your ISP.  There are other compatible routers, but this just happens to be the most common one.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

If you're not that lucky, then it's not a big deal.  As long as you have an old WRT wireless router, then you can usually get some form of the OpenWRT firmware on there and get similar features (at least the important ones to connect your 360 and other devices in the area to your wireless connection/ISP). 

http://openwrt.org/

If you don't have an old wireless router laying around to flash with one of these firmwares, you can pick one up for cheap on ebay.

Option 2

Use your laptop as a wireless bridge by sharing out it's wireless connection.  You can either Bridge the WLAN & LAN connections, or you can simply share the WLAN connection.

Plug your 360's cat5 cable into your laptop.

I've done both options and both methods for option 2.

Try doing this..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

I wouldn't get it. You pay for the thing and it's worse than the wifi on the DS and PSP.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

The reviewers on amazon managed to get it working on the 360.

you can try using this too if you can find a good deal on it.. although it used to cost about $50 brand new a few months back..

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Network-Adapter-MN740/dp/B00005QBX9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1249943625&sr=8-2