By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATE: GT5 passes 10 million - Guess the lifetime sales for Uncharted 2, God Of War III and Gran Tursimo 5

Uncharted 2 and GOW3 will do 5 million easily after cheaper ver released. GT5 should do 9-11 million. With all the contents it offered it deserve 10 million sales.

Around the Network

Uncharted and GOW3 about 4.2 million Gt5 near  9 million

TrevDaRev said:

What do you think the lifetime sales for Uncharted 2, God Of War III and Gran Tursimo 5?

I've never guessed sales etc for games so I may be way off

Uncharted 2 - 3.8 million - the hype & build up around this game is at full steam, the graphics are the best I've ever seen in a video game plus the online will do well for it aswell. The 1st sold nearly 2.5million so far & I'm pretty sure the 2nd one will outsell the 1st and reach nearly 4million this will likely be bundled with a console aswell which will help.

God Of WAR III - 4.5million - Old Kratos now this is a tough one, to be realesed in March 2010 were the Ps3 should have around 30million Units Sold (more if there is a price cut or Slim annouced) Judging by the huge critial sucess of the first two this will be HUGE. So I think lifetime sales COULD hit 4.5million.

Gran Turismo - 9million - Racing in Europe is fucking huge, most of the Gran Turmiso console titles have reached 9 million on the Ps1 & Ps2 all be it that they both had more consoles sold than the Ps3 I still think this will be a huge sucess. The Demo; GT 5 Prologue sold over 3million and that was for a fucking demo..:O So I may be going out on a limb here but i think it sell in the region of 9-10million.

I shall now quote myself;

Uncharted 2: I under-estimated this one, it's currently sitting at 3,641,947. I think it could end up around 4.5million. It could get a huge boost when Uncharted 3 releases, similar too how the release of Uncharted 2 affected Uncharted: Drakes Fortunes sales.

God Of War III - Definatley will become the highest selling God Of War game so far, a title which the orignal God Of War holds with 3.74million. With it's first Christmas coming up, and I personally think it will get (and dersevers) a Game Of The Year edition, legs for this game will remain very strong. Am I going out on a limb by thinking it'll do 5million? I thinks it's possible.

Gran Turismo 5 - It's GT! After seeing the recent videos, including the weather one, It dersevers to be the highest selling game in the franchise, which Gran Turismo 3 currently holds with 14.89million. I don't think it'll reach that number, but I do think it has a good shot at 11 million.

wow, looks like U2 and GoW III smashed some people expectations.

Yeah it's amazing how both GOW3 and U2 will probably surpass even some of the really optimistic predictions. I'd say both have a pretty fair shot at 5 million. I've already made my prediction about GT5. Go look for it in the official prediction thread.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network
arcane_chaos said:

wow, looks like U2 and GoW III smashed some people expectations.

it's like almost every Ps3 exclusive smashed people expectations, including me...

Uncharted 2 has a shot for 5M.

God Of War 3 has a shot for 5M too.

Gran Turismo 5 probably will not have much pre-orders, but sure it'll have sales to reach 10-11M LTD...

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Looking back at the start of this thread, a lot of people are really pessimistic. GT5 can do 10 million, and both U2 and GOW3 have a shot at 5 million.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

CGI-Quality said:

Funny to see some of the early predictions. Some thought Uncharted 2 wouldn't get to 3 mill, God of War III would baraely clear 3 mill, and think GT5 won't get to 10 mill. Two predictions smahed and one to go.

Exactly and I think both GOW3 and UC2 will reach 5mil personally. They have become must have games on the PS3 and many upcoming new owners will buy them.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Kantor said:

I'm not going to just throw around numbers like everyone else. I like to justify.

Uncharted 2:

The original Uncharted launched back in December 2007. It was a good holiday season for the PS3, but it was still lagging behind in sales. It wasn't even at 10 million. The game also kind of came out of nowhere- it was a new IP.

The launch week was horrendous, it just broke 100k units (mostly due to a broken street date I believe). However, it sold 100k for nearly 10 weeks, and had great legs. It was finally bundled and hit 2.5 million, and is on the way to selling more.

Uncharted 2 has gotten a lot more hype because of the quality of the original game. It's been winning best of E3 awards and getting loads of coverage from gaming websites. Of course, they've improved on the original- online multiplayer, improved graphics and animations, more gameplay variety, you name it. This should also be a great holiday for the PS3, with a Slim Price cut, and there's not much competition in the same genre, so it'll have a strong opening week, a strong holiday, and go on to sell 3.5-4 million units.

God of War III:

God of War has always been a popular franchise amongst "hardcore" (meaning informed) Sony fans. It didn't sell gangbusters on PS2, though the original did crack 3 million, and the sequel got pretty close, considering it launched when the next generation was well under way. With good reason, too- it's awesome. Again, they've improved it, and put it in glorious 1080p high definition. It's not locked at 60fps, but it'll run around there throughout. This game has the advantage of being the first on the console, and it's launching on a console with no piracy.

Many may have overlooked God of War 1 2, with the plethora of quality titles available on the PS2. The original launched late in the generation- March 2005, just a few months before the 360's launch. God of War III, conversely, is launching just two and a half years into the generation, on a console with decidedly less quality software than the PS2. The PS3 has, of course, been losing 3rd party exclusives, so more emphasis has been needed on the first party lineup, and for this reason, it's more hyped than the first two games put together (before you bring up how hype has no effect on sales, please go see Killzone 2).

Sure, it's launching on a smaller userbase, but God of War was never a "casual" franchise, so PS2 owners who owned it would be more likely to buy PS3s, and those who had overlooked it and bought PS3s anyway will hopefully see what a gem it is, since it's not hidden in a massive pile of such gems, and buy it. It may not have a holiday season to help its legs, but none of the God of War games have. I predict 3.5-4 million units, again. Higher than bother previous God of War titles.

Gran Turismo 5

Again, launching in a holiday season, which is a huge bonus. Gran Turismo is famous for its fantastic sales- the best of any PS-exclusive franchise, ever. All but one of the full games have gone on to sell over 10 million units. Historically, the first full GT on the platform sells best. GT1 outsold GT2, GT3 outsold GT4. GT4 also outsold GT2, and GT3 outsold GT1, which means the series has been growing- though this can mostly be attributed to the PS2, which of course sold more than the PS1. That, and GT3 was bundled (apparently).

The Prologue has sold 3 million units (not counting PSN sales, which are somewhere in the realm of 400k), and it's basically a demo. The majority of people who bought it will go on to buy GT5, and a LOT of people who didn't buy it as well- this is one of the few titles that Sony can call a system seller.

Of course, the sales of the earlier GT games are partially due to the enormous install base they had to work with. Yes, GT3 launched on 10 million units, but in the end, it's had over 130 million people to sell to. The PS3 will be lucky to get half of that, but it's not simple division. A lot of those 130 million were more casual gamers, who went on to purchase the Wii, or did not purchase another console at all. They probably wouldn't buy GT5 even if they did own PS3s- they would be buying the SingStars and Guitar Heroes and Buzzes and perhaps LBP (if they have good taste).

GTA4 on PS3 was, of course, a first day multiplat with the X360. The 360 version had exclusive DLC, plus the 360 is bigger in America, where GTA is biggest, and the PS3 struggles there a bit. A lot of PS2 GTA fans would have bought 360s as well, since they wouldn't have the same brand loyalty, and of course it became multiplat, so they took the cheaper option, I suppose. Or the earlier one. Or both. Nevertheless, the PS3 version will go on to sell around 6.5-7 million copies.

GT5 is exclusive. It's a Gran Turismo. It can do more than that. I predict 8.5-9.5 million sales: the highest selling PS3 game, the lowest selling full Gran Turismo, and it won't outsell Halo 3.

tl;dr: Posted a good year ago:

God of War III and Uncharted 2: 3.5-4 million

Gran Turismo 5: 8.5-9.5 million

I would say I predicted pretty well. Perhaps a little low on Uncharted 2.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I know this thread is old but I want to predict some LT numbers.

Uncharted 2 will reach 5 million.

God of War 3, 4.5 million.