By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Perhaps Activision is trying to correct a wrong for the Wii.

snowdog said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

If Infinity Ward really didn't like the Wii, they wouldn't have made the engine scaleable. They would have forced Treyarch to make another engine for WaW on the Wii or use the same engine for 3.

The fact is that if Call Of Duty 4 could have been on the Wii in 2007, it would have been. But the engine wasn't ready for it yet. It wasn't out of malice or dismissal of the Wii (unlike say , Resident Evil 5). It was that they just couldn't do it until now. IW didn't have the engine ready, and Treyarch needed to get used to the engine with WaW.

What about MW2? I don't know. Perhaps that will come next year as a dual release with the next Treyarch game. Or it could come as a dual release with the next IW game.

But Activision is not just throwing the Wii a great game later on. They are giving this game to the Wii when the finally can do so.

Modern Warfare and Resident Evil 5 were not originally on the Wii because in 2005/2006 when these projects were being planned everyone in the industry (including my good self) just assumed that the PS3 would emulate the success of the PS2 and the Wii would end up being another Gamecube. Nobody saw the mental success that the Wii has had over the last two and a half years, and developers and publishers only started to take Wii development seriously when it continued to fly off shelves after Christmas 2007. That's why the Wii ended up with a load of cheap and crappy party games and ports early on.

We're now starting to see the results of the work done after the industry started to catch up - House of The Dead Overkill, Madworld, Deadly Creatures, The Conduit, Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Cursed Mountain, Muramasa Demon Blade, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Monster Hunter 3, Red Steel 2, Gladiator AD and The Grinder. All titles with higher production values, with great looking visuals and most of them Wii exclusive.

I've played the demo of Resident Evil 5 on the PS3 and didn't see anything apart from the quality of the visuals that couldn't be done on the Wii with a small downgrade in eye candy. High Voltage Software has shown that the Wii is capable of visual effects and techniques you'd normally expect from the PS360 consoles - just about everything bump, gloss or diffuse mapped, 4 layered high res textures, real-time reflection and refraction for both water, weapons and scopes, depth of field, HDR lighting, focus blur and advanced particle effects - and there's more impressive stuff to come from the Quantum3 engine too. There's a lot more power 'under the hood' with the Wii's TEV Unit that people don't give credit for. The ridiculous marketshare of the Wii is too big to be ignored, and I'm expecting some sort of announcement from Capcom in the next year or so of a Wii SKU of Resident Evil 5.

I was listening to a four-year-old Wii (then Revolution)-themed podcast and they discussed the RE5 annoucement. Their take on it was that it might have had to do with the unknown specs of the Wii (then-Revolution) compared to what was known about the X360 and PS3.

I have no doubt that many publishers are trying to play catch-up on the Wii. And in some ways, that could be said that is why the Wii is finally getting CoD:MW(1). But since it is coming out at the same time as CoD:MW2 on the X360 and PS3, the reasons seem more mercinary than any thing else -- especially considering what Activision's philosophy is (make money off of franchises) and its Wii efforts (Big League Sports).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Wait, Activision is trying to make money? BASTARDS!!

I agree with the initial post. And RE4 Wii was far superior to RE4 GC,PS2 because of controls.

As long as MW Wii has COD WAW Wii graphics with most or all of the features, me happy.

it could be the reason, while i lean toward the fact that COD3 didnt show a return as fast as WAW.But the existence of COD3 on the wii prior to cod4 lean towards that logic.

I think some of you misunderstand the "wrong" I meant. I mean Activision could have had multi-million sales on all the home consoles instead of just 4. Now before they give the Wii the sequel, they need to establish the first to the audience.

And it is going to sell well. WaW showed these games will sell well. Just look at these stats (http://kotaku.com/5331417/the-ten-most-avidly+played-wii-games-in-america-as-of-august-1). And of course the million sales, without the benefit of 4 breaking the series into higher sales on the Wii.

If 4 is supposed to be so much better than that, it's doing better than WaW is.

And don't give me that crap about MW2 cannibalizing the game's sales. WaW didn't cannibalize any of its versions sales.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

RaptorGTA said:
I do agree with some of what your saying. However i see this move as more of a cash cow for Activision. Minus the conduit what other FPS is out on the market? The conduit had low sales so the wii market is still craving a big name FPS. With no real opposition and releasing around the christmas season this is an easy money making plot for Activision.

Im still very happy to hear about COD4 being released on the wii. Its a good move for Activision and add's more games for Wii owners. However ill be kinda upset if they charge full price and the game doesnt have all the features the original COD4 had.

QFT.

...OP: I like the logic you used it's very sound. I know COD4 sold well, but not everyone in the Wii fanbase have played it. I admit with shame I haven't, and that I will be getting it this year. Playijng the Conduit got my thrist back for a FPS again, when it previously died from all the WWII FPS's...

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network

activision is trying to correct any error, they r realising it on the same day as MW2, u can be complacent that activision is trying, but it a slap on the wii only owners faces. at least i see it that way.

Stop praising Activision. It's not cool

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Well, this will sell to Wii only users mostly. And the fact that it's coming out the same day as it's successor, will make sales plummet terribly. WaW sold well because multiple console owners did have a choice, and some might have gone for Wii controls, but this time around the game is a 2 year old port of an extremely popular game. I'd wager that majority of people who wanted this game already own it on any of the platforms, most likely PC for those Wii only owners. It will be just another FPS on the Wii, that not many will care about, since the new best game to own will come out the same day and it's called MW2. IMO terrible move by Activision, like most of the times when it comes to Wii.

Oh and it should be budget priced, but it obviously won't be.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

No one, or just about no one, whos played a lot of MW1 will buy it for the Wii. If it's launching at a standard full price, then they can just get the superior versions for the other consoles. The odd gamer, who really wants it but doesnt have a 360/ps3/goodPC will buy it..but....
Then again, i may be underestimating the random ultra casuals who will see it for Wii and be like "wait i heard about this game... it made quite a bit of noise" and then buy it.

Kantor said:
Stop praising Activision. It's not cool

How did I praise them? I didn't. Read the OP again.

As for those assuming it's automatically going to be inferior or not worth the price, get a clue. We don't know what is going to be included. Even Chop Till You Drop offered extra features beyond just some of the gameplay tweaks (yes, the game is flawed, but it cannot be a lazy port, because it's not a port).

And WaW proved there are a million people minimum who would still want this game (and don't give me any userbase crap; Activision will make money off the million, not somehow lose money from the 49 million). And we have plenty of other potentials who might try this game but don't have the other systems.

Not making any predictions. I'm just stating there are too many factors for your predictions to be certain.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs