By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Jaffe's Twitter Says PS3 Price Drop. Now ...$199

CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
Millennium said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
Even at $199 I doubt the PS3 would sell much better, it's losing a lost cause, if people wanted a PS3 they would have picked one up by now.

Did you just read what you posted, I can't even believe that YOU believe that.

It comes straight out of Sony's own marketing hype: they have more than once claimed that people who want a PS3 would buy it at any price.

^This is exactly why I said what I did CGI, It was Sony that said we (the consumer) would pay whatever price Sony asked for to get a PS3, this didn't work out quite how Sony planned did it?

Ummm, ok...

But tell me something, what other console besides a Playstation could have/or did pull that off at $600?

Don't you mean what other console maker would make such a big mistake of pricing itself out of the competition at $600? 3DO did it and failed.....

Around the Network
dbot said:
FKNetwork said:
Millennium said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
Even at $199 I doubt the PS3 would sell much better, it's losing a lost cause, if people wanted a PS3 they would have picked one up by now.

It comes straight out of Sony's own marketing hype: they have more than once claimed that people who want a PS3 would buy it at any price.

^This is exactly why I said what I did CGI, It was Sony that said we (the consumer) would pay whatever price Sony asked for to get a PS3, this didn't work out quite how Sony planned did it?

That's a pretty strict interpretation of Sony marketing materials.  24 million people have purchased a PS3 for between $400 and $600.  Any other console capable of that?  

the console was only at 600 for the first 8 months....

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

What else you got?  At least the console doesn't break, that's where your money goes I guess.

What on earth has a "console breaking" got to do with ANYTHING in this topic? I would consider that as borderline trolling....

Wow, thats amazing! you still use the RROD excuse lol, for your information none of my 360's have ever broken, I have one flashed and one not flashed, both still work perfectly, never had a problem, my ps3 has been repaired once already due to a drive problem (had to pay), my wii also got stuck during an update and Nintendo had to replace it for me (didn't have to pay), hows that?

bigdom2786 said:
dbot said:
FKNetwork said:
Millennium said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:

That's a pretty strict interpretation of Sony marketing materials.  24 million people have purchased a PS3 for between $400 and $600.  Any other console capable of that?  

And now it's between $400 and $500, what's your point?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I can't imagine that price point unless in the recent 'roughly 70%' cost reduction quote the guy was rounding down.

I just don't see how Sony could absorb such a drop, even allowing for a huge boost in SW sales on the back of selling more consoles, unless the cost of production has come down much lower than I'd imagined.

I'd been thinking that $100 dollar drop was the limit they could consider, and only if cost of production were way down.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
Millennium said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:

Ummm, ok...

But tell me something, what other console besides a Playstation could have/or did pull that off at $600?

Don't you mean what other console maker would make such a big mistake of pricing itself out of the competition at $600? 3DO did it and failed.....

3DO sold 2mill, not 23mill and still selling.

Just you wait and see CGI!!! 2010 is the year of the 3DO!!!

dbot said:
bigdom2786 said:
dbot said:
FKNetwork said:
Millennium said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:

actually its only 400.... well where i live its only 400....and i made my point quite clear... if they claimed they can buy the ps3 at any price....why drop thre price so quickly like they did....

face it: cheaper price...more consumers.

bigdom2786 said:
dbot said:
bigdom2786 said:
dbot said:

actually its only 400.... well where i live its only 400....and i made my point quite clear... if they claimed they can buy the ps3 at any price....why drop thre price so quickly like they did....

face it: cheaper price...more consumers.

Even if we used the low end of $400, there is no other console that has sold 23 million at that price point.  Why don't they sell the $500 160 gig where you live?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

If this price is Japan only I could see it. They are already selling the PS3 at an incredibly low price compared to the rest of the world there.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

hahaha That would be something.

They are still not profitable at 399 USD. So a $230 loss for every console sold would be.... let's say it friendly... "concern" shareholders.

You sure about that?

Well if they are profitable at that price point, I'd sure like to know why they keep bleeding money.

Didn't they just say they slashed prodcution costs by 70% of the original production cost of the PS3?