By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a gaming PC

There are new Nvidia directx 11 cards coming out with 4 GB of video RAM. I might get that for my PC I'm wanting to build.

Around the Network

Sheesh, I wonder how much these DX11 cards will cost. Their performance seems insane, lets hope that they and game developers can deliver.

CatFangs806 said:
There are new Nvidia directx 11 cards coming out with 4 GB of video RAM. I might get that for my PC I'm wanting to build.

I wasn'tt aware Nvidia had announced  plans for their DX11 cards, got a link?

ph4nt said:
CatFangs806 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_300_Series

It may be Wikipedia, but I believe it.

Squilliam said:
Lightning_24 said:
Squilliam said:
You can actually get a 32" HDTV LCD for a pretty decent price.

But doesn't everyone say there isn't point in having a HDTV unless it's 42" for 360 or PS3 to notice the differences?

I sized it down because you have a small monitor.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

Btw, I use my LCD TV as a monitor as well.

I really don't undertand that graph, chart, and or diagram so thanks anyway.

Also thanks for others who contributed to my question.

Around the Network
CatFangs806 said:
ph4nt said:
CatFangs806 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_300_Series

The information is false, and made up. There haven't even been rumours along those lines. The only rumour has been that Nvidia's DX11 parts have taped out, placing a launch at earliest in December but realistically in January/February. No codenames, no product names, no specs and no official word. If they were going to launch before Win7 they would have said it at Computex and their financial report like AMD did.

ATI's DirectX11 parts have codenames (Evergreen) and a launch date: mid-September.

my cousin asked me to build a gaming pc for him. he is a student and is short on money. the budget for the pc was 300€. i looked a bit around and decidet to build him the following rig.

i bought a "upgrade-kid" from ebay for 214€. includet in the kit was a core2duo with 2x2.6ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd, dvdrw and a not so pritty case^^

now i had the core for the system and i looked for a grafix card. after some research i decidet to buy a hd 4850. you can get that beast for under 100€. i found a sapphire 512mb version from ebay new for 89€.

the money for a os is not includet because my cousin has his xp licence from his old pc. but we decidet to go with the free windows 7. its free until next year and he can activate it next year if he want....

thats what we get for 303€

a core2duo @2x2.6ghz
hd4850 512mb
2gb ram

i fired up some games on his new computer and his chin dropped hahaha
i installed him demos for bioshock, crysis, cod4, ut3 and some others....the look in his face was priceless.

he thought all he can get for 300€ was a pc that can play games with minimum settings and low framerates....now he is a happy pc gamer.

alexf10 said:

thats what we get for 303€

a core2duo @2x2.6ghz
hd4850 512mb
2gb ram

i fired up some games on his new computer and his chin dropped hahaha
i installed him demos for bioshock, crysis, cod4, ut3 and some others....the look in his face was priceless.

he thought all he can get for 300€ was a pc that can play games with minimum settings and low framerates....now he is a happy pc gamer.

Yeah, good PCs are the cheapest ever. It's mainly due to lack of money ("HD" graphics are already insanely expensive) and market (games are made for consoles now, not PCs, which puts an upper limit on graphics of circa 2005-level PC) graphical advancements, so that recent games on High settings are playable on sub-$100 graphics cards.

Soleron said:
CatFangs806 said:
ph4nt said:
CatFangs806 said:

The information is false, and made up. There haven't even been rumours along those lines. The only rumour has been that Nvidia's DX11 parts have taped out, placing a launch at earliest in December but realistically in January/February. No codenames, no product names, no specs and no official word. If they were going to launch before Win7 they would have said it at Computex and their financial report like AMD did.

ATI's DirectX11 parts have codenames (Evergreen) and a launch date: mid-September.

Is Sep confirmed?

And have u followed the latest rumors about how powerful they are supposed to be?

At one point there was hope that the '5870' would be 80-90% faster than a 4870.

Slimebeast said:

Is Sep confirmed?

And have u followed the latest rumors about how powerful they are supposed to be?

At one point there was hope that the '5870' would be 80-90% faster than a 4870.

The "5870" specs were fake, but just from the die shrink and rumoured die size it should have twice as many shaders. The top single card being as fast as a 4870 X2 is reasonable since AMD has done just that for two generations now (R600 -> RV670 -> RV770). Pricing is important too; no point having the fastest chip if it costs $800+.

September isn't official, but rumours are mid September (I've seen Sep. 10 and Sep. 13 as the launch events, and I'm inclined to believe the 13th).