By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Building a gaming PC

It was a long time ago of course and I'm sure technology has improved, but I had a problem with an 8ms LCD screen so I've been sticking with my CRT. I'm only going to trust my eyes which is why I'd rather see monitors in person rather than just reviews.

Around the Network
Lightning_24 said:

Okay, I'm wanting to upgrade my computer. I need a new one because mine gives me the blue screen every once in a while and my graphics card has weird graphic glitches so i will need a new one of that.

I was wondering for the smart PC people on here who have built their own and made an awesome gaming PC if they could help me pick the right things i need to make my PC awesome.

I will be buying a new one from the store and just buy the parts i need to add to that PC to make it better.

Money doesn't matter. (I mean it does but i just want to get a good look at what the best things are) I want to know what the best graphics card is, what CPU i need the system RAM that is needed as well. Also will windows 7 be better for games. I mean i won't be able to get a new PC until this fall and W7 is coming out then so i'm sure i will get that.

Thanks for any of the replies and help that you give me.

Also and you don't have to do this, only if you wish to take the time to help a little more. What would be the best set up for maybe say 1500? I have been looking around to see what i would need but i don't know too much about this stuff. All i know is what's new is what is better but that isn't always true. So thanks again for any help.

For $1500 I would buy a PC with the Phenom II X4 955 processer together with a ATI Radeon HD 5850 2GB GPU, in October.
Plus a 24" Samsung 1920x1200 moniter.

Sadly there is no games out that will take advantage of all that processing power yet lol.

It's not the best, but at that price you can't beat it.

Slimebeast said:
Lightning_24 said:

Okay, I'm wanting to upgrade my computer. I need a new one because mine gives me the blue screen every once in a while and my graphics card has weird graphic glitches so i will need a new one of that.

I was wondering for the smart PC people on here who have built their own and made an awesome gaming PC if they could help me pick the right things i need to make my PC awesome.

I will be buying a new one from the store and just buy the parts i need to add to that PC to make it better.

Money doesn't matter. (I mean it does but i just want to get a good look at what the best things are) I want to know what the best graphics card is, what CPU i need the system RAM that is needed as well. Also will windows 7 be better for games. I mean i won't be able to get a new PC until this fall and W7 is coming out then so i'm sure i will get that.

Also and you don't have to do this, only if you wish to take the time to help a little more. What would be the best set up for maybe say 1500? I have been looking around to see what i would need but i don't know too much about this stuff. All i know is what's new is what is better but that isn't always true. So thanks again for any help.

For $1500 I would buy a PC with the Phenom II X4 955 processer together with a ATI Radeon HD 5850 2GB GPU, in October.

Sadly there is no games out that will take advantage of all that processing power yet lol.

But the current games will be left crying.

If you're going to buy right now, for $1500:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17102/6

But with two 4890s rather than the suggested one. This'll play any game except Crysis on max settings (but nothing plays Crysis on max). Two 4890s is the fastest graphics setup that's at all justifiable; going to four GPUs gives 10-20% more at twice the cost and power consumption.

But, wait until mid-September for the next generation of DirectX11 cards, and Lynnfield to make Core i7 more affordable. Or for AMD to release the X4 965. You'll get much better value for the same amount of money. You need a DX11 card to get the most out of Windows 7 and some upcoming games.

It pains me to not recommend an AMD processor, but there are none in your price range at present.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

But with two 4890s rather than the suggested one. This'll play any game except Crysis on max settings (but nothing plays Crysis on max). Two 4890s is the fastest graphics setup that's at all justifiable; going to four GPUs gives 10-20% more at twice the cost and power consumption.

But, wait until mid-September for the next generation of DirectX11 cards, and Lynnfield to make Core i7 more affordable. Or for AMD to release the X4 965. You'll get much better value for the same amount of money. You need a DX11 card to get the most out of Windows 7 and some upcoming games.

It pains me to not recommend an AMD processor, but there are none in your price range at present.

Not even a pair of 4870 X2s can play Crisis on max? How do you define 'max'?

Slimebeast said:
Soleron said:

I'd say 1920 x 1080 + resolution with all setting at their highest, highest AA, AF, w/e.

Slimebeast said:
Lightning_24 said:

Arma 2. You can't run it on full settings. My brother just built a $1,700 PC, and cannot take advantage of everything Arma 2 can simulate.

For a video on exactly what can be run on Arma 2 (that will destroy even shio's PC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Slimebeast said:
Soleron said:

2560x1600 res, all settings on full. Show me a review that has those settings and >30 fps.

Soleron said:
Slimebeast said:
Soleron said:

2560x1600 res, all settings on full. Show me a review that has those settings and >30 fps.

lol, well that's certainly impossible! But don't you think that's a little grim definition of max?

Even ph4nt's "1920 x 1080 + resolution with all setting at their highest, highest AA, AF, w/e." is tough demands.

Let's just for a moment define 'max' as:
Crisis on highest quality mode (I dont remember if it's called 'very high' or 'enthusiast gamer', depends on if it's the first Crisis or Warhead I think) and 1920x1080 res, and let's say only 8AF and 4AA.

Can a pair of 4870 X2s run this at +30 frames per second? I would think easily, yes?