By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soriku talks to JL: Inquiries about 8th Generation & more

Words Of Wisdom said:

•••Words Of Wisdom breaks the situation down•••

This explanation should be more than satisfactory and I have made every attempt to keep it simple in the hopes that Soriku will be able to follow the logical flow of my reasoning. I wonder if Soriku understands now. I hope he does. However, even if he still cannot comprehend it, at least I know that John Lucas will likely enjoy reading the above.

To those who managed to read all of the above, thank you for your time.

Yes I did enjoy it, W.O.W.

Sound logic and one of the primary reasons I said it was a natural on the Wii.

Nintendo is the Disney of the videogame world after all. It just feels right for these two to be together.

Besides, I don't know if anyone has blinked or not but Square-Enix has already returned to the N Side. Dragon Quest IX on DS was actually the Final Fantasy VII swerve of this generation.

Kingdom Hearts III is DEFINITELY coming to the Wii. Sorry leo-j but it looks like Soriku's wishes will come true. You know how that Disney song goes...When you wish....upon a star....makes no difference....who you are. Anything....your heart desires....will come....to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWiBeX33KU

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

I don't know whether to stab my eyes out or just do it in a corner.

KH3 has a big chance of being released on Wii:

A company needs profit. One of the main strategies companies use to accomplish this is the spreading of risk.
In the PS2 days there was virtually no risk in developing a (qualty) game for PS2, as the install base was enormous.

Now at the start of this gen, that's different. All 3 consoles have their good and bad points and no-one can say which one will win, if one wins at all, especially with the enormous differences. Wii has much weaker hardware, but sells like crazy. 360 is doing great in the States, but nothing in Japan. PS3 had a very dissapointing start overall.

In order for SquareEnix to make the safest profit, they will divide their projects over different consoles. Since it's a Japanese company they won't be focussing on 360.

PS3 gets main Final Fantasy
DS gets main Dragon Quest
PSP gets FFVII
Wii......no main series yet

Since Wii is doing great around the world, and Kingdom Hearts is perfectly suited for the Wii ("cartoony" graphics, "kids console", Zelda lovers=likely to like KH style)
it's clear that Wii has best changes to recieve SE 3rd biggest franchise.

For the people that say that SE has a benefit from the PS3 doing good and therefore bet everything on PS3 I say:
It's better to lose something on FF and win on other systems than to lose on all your franchise. That SE thinks like this is proven by the move of its biggest Japanes franchise DQ.

BengaBenga said:
KH3 has a big chance of being released on Wii:

A company needs profit. One of the main strategies companies use to accomplish this is the spreading of risk.
In the PS2 days there was virtually no risk in developing a (qualty) game for PS2, as the install base was enormous.

Now at the start of this gen, that's different. All 3 consoles have their good and bad points and no-one can say which one will win, if one wins at all, especially with the enormous differences. Wii has much weaker hardware, but sells like crazy. 360 is doing great in the States, but nothing in Japan. PS3 had a very dissapointing start overall.

In order for SquareEnix to make the safest profit, they will divide their projects over different consoles. Since it's a Japanese company they won't be focussing on 360.

PS3 gets main Final Fantasy
DS gets main Dragon Quest
PSP gets FFVII
Wii......no main series yet

Since Wii is doing great around the world, and Kingdom Hearts is perfectly suited for the Wii ("cartoony" graphics, "kids console", Zelda lovers=likely to like KH style)
it's clear that Wii has best changes to recieve SE 3rd biggest franchise.

For the people that say that SE has a benefit from the PS3 doing good and therefore bet everything on PS3 I say:
It's better to lose something on FF and win on other systems than to lose on all your franchise. That SE thinks like this is proven by the move of its biggest Japanes franchise DQ.

You basically said what I had planned to. It is about diversification this generation. Companies will find that unlike with the Ps2 different audience wil be found on different consoles. You would be taking an extreme gamble throwing all your properties in one place. SE already knows that something are beter on handhelds, some games are showpieces in the high end hardcore arena, and some things just need the widest user base they can find.

As far as the John Lucas prediction, I understand your reasoning but I disagree. There will be a Wii successor, and it will come no later than 2013. I have always felt that the Wii has been Nintendo's attempt to replicate the success of the DS for home consoles. The DS will get a replacement(somehat already has with the lite) and so will the Wii. One of the crucial parts of Nintendo is that they make money from hardware from the get go. Unlike Sony who wold just love to strech out a generation for 10-15 years, Nintendo will be content with 5-7 years. Passing on harware for a generation might cost them a billion dollars in profit.

People are right in that that they don't want to alienate people. The Wii 2 will do everything the wii does and be compatible with game cube games, your VC, everything. It will have a huge amount of internal storage by comparison, a build in high spped ethernet jack and hdmi. While there will be some HD games for the new system it will focus more than ever on Wiiware, VC, and other SD content.

I think they will be truely disruptive again with N7.  

And for thsoe worried about transfering it will be a snap. Bring home Wii 2, plug it in, set next to Wii, invidible bluetooth chatter, and it is done.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

I think that there are many different ways to look at what the next generation Wii system will look like ...

Hardware: I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is very happy with the processor core and GPU they have developed with the Gamecube and Wii, and it will likely be the base of all of their hardware going forward; their next generation handheld will potentially have very similar hardware to the Wii and will likely take advantage of a 45nm process.

For the CPU I anticipate Nintendo will move towards a asymetric multi-core architecture, where the base of each of their cores is based on the Gekko/Broadway core but that each has an extended instruction set to handle specific (game related) tasks. It shouldn't be that difficult to produce a core that is specifically designed to handle advanced physics calculations, animation, AI, or however they think the breakdown of work should be done. The processor's die size should be reasonably small (between the Gekko and Broadway) and the clock speed will probably be unimpressive (2.5GHz to 3GHz) but its design should enable it to perform at an excellent level for its cost and power usage.

I think the GPU is harder to predict and I'm not (really) sure of the approach they will take.

Overall I anticipate the performance of their system will fall between the XBox 360/PS3 and the XBox 720/PS4, but for its initial price of $200 to $300 it will be a moster (and most people won't notice the difference in power).

User Interface: I anticpate that Nintendo will move towards perfecting the Wiimote interface and will probably drop the remote-shape and will potentially gain buttons in an asymetric layout (like the Gamecube controller), the nunchuck will probably have a similar shape to the Wiimote and will lose one button in exchange for it's own "sensor". The sensor bar will disapear and the pointing fuctionality will become pixel perfect. Nintendo will include a head-set that is similar to the XBox Live headset and many games will take advantage of voice communication (people will talk about how revolutionary these games are).