By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - JRPG'S sales figures as of right now

Simulacrum said:
Wonder why Tales of vesperia was outsold by new ip:s, since Tales is well known.

How is tales well known outside of Japan? I am not talking about forum geeks but the general public. How many tales games have been published outside japan? :P

Around the Network

Confirmed Famitsu Numbers

SO4 - 209k
Blue Dragon - 204k
ToV - 192k
TLR - 150k
IU - 113k (Platinum version to release this week)
LO - 110k

These are VERY good numbers, as you can see, LO and BD had good sales over time, but whats more interesting is that so did SO4 and ToV. This means that these games have had a good long term effect. MS needs to continue the hardware sales too keep interest in the 360, because if theres hardware sales, games like these or RE5 will sell steadily with them.

Unfortunately last three weeks have been dire for MS and i hope Gears 2 can have a good effect on hardware. VGC is reporting that software sales havent been any better than when the 360 was around 700-800k so who knows, maybe those people who bought 360s for those JRPGs are already losing interest.

As for Magna Carta II, its difficult to say what will happen. If you look at IU which wasnt bundled, it had a HUGE first day, bigger than ToV in fact and yet its first week sales were only a little bit more, and offcourse it didnt sell for long either. MCII will do something similar, but will sell well alone on the fact that the 360 is now at 1.1 million.

Tales of Symphonia sold very well in the west and did get less marketing than LO, TLR and SOIV (at least here in Europe), no price-cut at all, and was released on a console which wasn't really known for it's J-rpg's either.

TotA dind't sell that well for a 3D entry in the series, but then again, it did get less marketing than ToS and ToV from what I have heard, and it was released to close to FFXII's release.

They have been quite poor, chances are WKC will beat them all when it releases WW, and those companies really should have released them on PS3 if they want their game to sell well in Japan (or even Wii)

When all of you say bring on LO 2, I assume you mean a series like FF, because I thought the story was done, and I would just like a game in a similar vein to the original

Yeah but by going 360 first, tri-Ace got funding for the development of their engine. By getting an engine up and running for IU (which was entirely financed by MS), they got SO4 out early on the 360.

Same with TLR, the game was having issues and the 360 seemed the easiest choice to bring it out first on. Most importantly, those games got huge helping hands in promotion from MS.

Around the Network

Yeah, but you are then making your Japanese install base tiny and damaging the strength of those franchises

Tales had a Symphonia game for the Wii, as well as many spin-offs for the handhelds. And as we know its going to get ported meaning that itll outsell the Wii as well as the PSP game.

SO4 is so far an exclusive but it wont remain that way. The game wouldve sold a little bit better in Japan for the PS3, but worse in the rest of the world. And its going to get ported, mark my words.

They havent lost out on anything, theyve only done the best they can with the limited HD userbase.

@munkeh111, by saying the dev's should release thier jrpg's on the ps3 if they want sales, is narrow minded i think. the ps3 isnt the ps2 in japan, so i think the sales wouldnt have been much better than they are on the 360. wkc sold good in japan, but not that much better than those released on the 360, and wont out sell the others total in ww sales, unless ppl really play the online part of the game which is its major selling point.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

^^ Actually it did loads better, WKC has probably sold more than ToV worldwide.

But again, the upside is that Bandai got it out earlier, did MS favours and in turn MS paid them back through funding for promotion.

Egghead said:
Yeah but by going 360 first, tri-Ace got funding for the development of their engine. By getting an engine up and running for IU (which was entirely financed by MS), they got SO4 out early on the 360.

They funded entirely a multi-platform engine?

I'ts known they funded IU and probably paid for SO4, but i'm not to sure about the engine.