By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo sales down 40%, profit 60%?

It's perfectly fine for me to bring up Sony and Microsoft in this thread.  And if you noticed, I wasn't even the first person to mention them.  And Carl, pointing out that Nintendo actually has a dollar figure in the 'Net Profit' column isn't damage control.  Don't be mad.

I don't know how you all want to discuss Nintendo's financials OUTSIDE of the broader context of the industry.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
It's perfectly fine for me to bring up Sony and Microsoft in this thread.

I don't know how you all want to discuss Nintendo's financials OUTSIDE of the broader context of the industry.

It is not. That is called posting off topic and it is against the rules of this site.

It's interesting to see how the economy is effecting the gaming sector, along with the way new titles have been released.

But for those who will say Nintendo have to change there strategy and make games we want etc are missing the point they are still making huge profits and have a number of new things coming in the next few months that are going to sell in huge numbers.

These are things boardrooms worry about but I don't think we will see any change from them for some time yet.

Manos said:

Whoa. I was not expecting that kind of drop.

"For the quarter, Nintendo sold 2.23 million Wiis worldwide, just 43 percent of the 5.17 million it sold for the prior year's first quarter."

That is insane. What do you think?

I think the DSi has done a decent job of keeping the DS numbers from being much much worse. 

I also think it was inevitable that sales would plummet.  We've just come from about two years where it was a struggle to find a Wii on a store shelf to a year where it... well... isn't.  I don't think the new sales figures are insane, I think the sales figures of the past two years were insane and this year is just the opposite.

Maybe nintendo should be worried. 57% drop is a big drop, no matter how much you are selling.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Manos said:

Whoa. I was not expecting that kind of drop.

"For the quarter, Nintendo sold 2.23 million Wiis worldwide, just 43 percent of the 5.17 million it sold for the prior year's first quarter."

That is insane. What do you think?

I think the DSi has done a decent job of keeping the DS numbers from being much much worse. 

I also think it was inevitable that sales would plummet.  We've just come from about two years where it was a struggle to find a Wii on a store shelf to a year where it... well... isn't.  I don't think the new sales figures are insane, I think the sales figures of the past two years were insane and this year is just the opposite.

I thought about that too. Wii sold like crazy when it was not always available. Maybe it sold like that because it was not always available.

Really bad quarter for Nintendo. But, what I find most interesting is that Iwata did not change the financial forecast for the fiscal year. I really wonder what they have brewing that makes them so confident. Nintendo is usually very conservative on their forcasts...but they think they can make upt the almost 3M unit deficet.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Kenology said:

It's perfectly fine for me to bring up Sony and Microsoft in this thread.  And if you noticed, I wasn't even the first person to mention them.  And Carl, pointing out that Nintendo actually has a dollar figure in the 'Net Profit' column isn't damage control.  Don't be mad.

Before you edited, you didnt even mention Nintendo, the Wii or the DS. You didnt even mention any profits made by them.

You didnt point out a "net profit". All your post was, was damage control.

What are the wannabe mods telling people what they can post and can't post?? This is a sales discussion about financial reports of one of the "big 3". I think it is perfectly acceptable to mention the other 2 console makers in the dicsussion.

There is no way to spin the results, Nintendo did much worse Q1 09 than Q1 08. This is a fact, no one can say otherwise. However, they did make a profit (once again, fact).

Now, in discussing this, we can look at the other actors in the market Nintendo is in and try and compare. I think that is reaosnable no? MS I haven't looked at so couldn't comment. Sony I have (as came out today as well) and we see that they aren't in great shape either (everything down except PS2 HW shipments). And they are making a loss.

Now, taking this into account, you can conclude that maybe Nintendo's situation is not "that" bad and still be on topic.

Or am I way out of line here?

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

I wasn't expecting that from Nintendo!!! that is a huge drop!