By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - hardware in Spain

Enterbrain numbers for the week ending 15 july: 1,01 million

http://www.gamekult.com/finances/articles/A0000059626/

Media create numbers for the week ending 15 july: 976673

http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000059672/

Vgchartz numbers for the week ending 15 july: 1,014,665

I'm suprised. It's enterbrain numbers. So, there is a difference for end july (because of the week ending 29 july, minna no golf 5, big difference between enterbrain and media create this week, and vgchartz in the middle), but not more that 20000 units.

edit: week ending 29 july:

vgchartz: 34,247

enterbrain: about 40k http://vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=468

media create: 28829 http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000059993/

really in the middle the vgchartz numbers, strange it's not the case for the ltd numbers the week ending 15 july. 

Around the Network

i agree that what i said doesn't automatically prove everything is ok, but having been so close only two months ago a 70k difference seems odd.....especially as using your above post VGC numbers should have been slightly higher than enterbrain therefore slightly higher than the financial Times. (clearly Japan isn't the country Spain is taking slack from)

I would still put most of my eggs in the basket saying 250k sell-through is bull, but i also find it hard to believe there is a massive 70k sitting around in Spanish stores, so i think Spain numbers probably are undertracked, and may be nearer 210k.

Didint diomedes explain something about GFK? That it is SOLD not shipped?

mM
leo-j said:

i don't see the word GFK mentioned anywhere. And you talk about diomedes..lol..

talking about the worst person you can quote 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

They shipped 250,000 and they plan to ship 425,000.

If you read the original article it seems pretty clear... the orignal article by the way is a 40 Gig announcement has the comment at the end.

It also mentions the 60 Gig bundle will be 499.

Around the Network
Neos said:
leo-j said:

i don't see the word GFK mentioned anywhere. And you talk about diomedes..lol..

talking about the worst person you can quote 

GFK isn't mentioned.  It's just a sony exec throwing in a comment on to the back of the 40 gig announcement.

@Kasz: Where are you getting that it iss shipped and 'it's clear'. My Spanish isn't perfect but as far as I know 'ventido' means 'sold' not 'shipped'. So show me where in the orginal article is it clear and post it here, it can be in Spanish.
And Armstrong says about "previsiones" when he talks about 425k at Christmas. Previsiones means predictions. And it is more sense in predicting how much you are going to sell than predicting how much you are going to ship. The shipping isn't the hard part, the selling is.

PS. ioi already changed numbers, not to 250k but to a bit less (236k after 7th october)

kamil said:
@Kasz: Where are you getting that it iss shipped and 'it's clear'. My Spanish isn't perfect but as far as I know 'ventido' means 'sold' not 'shipped'. So show me where in the orginal article is it clear and post it here, it can be in Spanish.
And Armstrong says about "previsiones" when he talks about 425k at Christmas. Previsiones means predictions. And it is more sense in predicting how much you are going to sell than predicting how much you are going to ship. The shipping isn't the hard part, the selling is.

PS. ioi already changed numbers, not to 250k but to a bit less (236k after 7th october)

When Sony talks about how many they sold, that means sold to retailers.  When GfK/MC/NPD/Fam talk about sold, they are estimating sell-through to customers.  This post clearly reflects information taken straight from Sony, so that means that the 250k means Sold as in Sold to Retailers in Spain.

Is this concept really that hard to understand?

From Manufactures Sold = Sold to Retailers

From Tracking Companies Sold = Sold to Consumers 

It's not hard to understand, it's just you have nothing to support your assumptions. Im pretty sure that guy has all the information form Gfk or any other company that does that kind of research. So he can talk about numbers of PS3 sold to customers and he can talk about numbers of PS3 shipped.

And for sure: in orginal article it isn't in any way clear that the number apply to shipped as Kasz says.

kamil said:

like cowbourne said, its a sony guy saying sold, both Nintendo and Microsoft say how many they have sold all the time, but no one even thinks they mean anything other than to their customers (retailers)

"shipping isn't he hard part, the selling is" yes you are right, Sony can easily ship the PS3s where they want (though it does cost them money) but selling them to a retailer is hard if the retailer knows they wont sell well. (admitedly not the case in Spain) and the prediction is clearly for how much supply there will be (what is wrong with estimating that?)

The numbers have changed to somwhere in between what i thought and the 250k retail figure (if you take 5-10k away for the last week or two to coincide with the 250k statement date it's nearer my guess)....Like i said, i thought they were undertracked in Spain but i still knew the Sony figure is shipped, so i guessed they should have been around 210k leaving 40k circulating around (40k out of Sonys hands but not in gamers hands)

Now the numbers are 236k, i am not sure of the date for the 250k figure but it was either a week ago (231k) or two weeks ago (225k)...meaning 20-25k was circulating.