By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who thinks $400 is still expensive?

W29 said:
For me $400 is alot of money when I think about it. I just scarficed $450 to get an Xbox 360 Elite. And I don't even think about wanting another console no time soon. Just for the simple fact $250 is alot IMO. I'm not that obsessive with video games to have all three. I like all three, but the 360 satisfies my needs for gaming. My sweet price is aroung $150 or $200. Thats how much I paid for my PS2, Gameboy Color, Genesis, PS1, PSP. I made my first ever purchase on a console and it was the 360. Those previous consoles I mentioned, my parents bought for me. But when the money is coming from my pocket its a huge different story. I find it that I don't want a DS, PS3, or Wii. Because I'm already gamed with PSP which is $180, 360 which was $450. I'm happy.

But to end it $400 is alot, when your in a situation as far as paying bills, helping your household. Most of the people who own all systems are either rich or extreme gamers, meaning you like to play video games alot. I put my myself in a category of not having alot of money to waste on video games. Its just not me.

Well said! ^_^

Around the Network
Enlightment said:
Ahhh zit je aan de verliezende kant kerel...Xbox360 fan zeker :)

stupid troll

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

If you think 400 is still too much for the PS3, then you need to not play video games anymore.

millions can afford it though, for those who can not, do not worry or dis it cause it?s the best system out. Eventually you will know the truth and afford one. TRUTH

"Don't get brainwashed by the propaganda that 400$ is expensive.
You know what's expensive, the Xbxo360 that's expensive.... do your math."

Ok, we shall do the math as you ask. Let us compare the cheapest PS3 to the midrange Xbox 360. The PS3 is (supposing the price translates directly if/when announced in the US) $400. The premium 360 is $350. Going for the cheapest 360 model you get a comparison with $280, which is over 25% cheaper than the PS3. If the 360 is expensive, then the PS3 must also be expensive. Simple math.

"If you think 400 is still too much for the PS3, then you need to not play video games anymore."

If you think $400 is not too expensive for a game console, then you need to no play video games anymore. Cheap entertainment will always have a place in a capitalist society.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
If you think 400 is still too much for the PS3, then you need to not play video games anymore.

Why?

The majority of gamers purchase consoles when they're sub $200. Maybe they should just stop playing and let the industry die.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

koffieboon said:
Enlightment said:

It is not really polite to write in Dutch on an international forum.

On topic: 400 dollar is still very expensive for a game console, specifically for a console where the most anticipated games won't be released before 2008. The whole move from Sony does seem like a bit of a desperate act to me. I mean, first they discontinued the 20GB version because there was no consumer interest and now they more or less reintroduce it again with the 40GB version. It just doesn't seem like they really know what they're doing and just try some things hoping it will somehow miraculously improve sales.

Well my bad for using the dutch language..

How can it be expensive...do you rember how much youhad to pay for the PS2 when it was first introduced??

I payed like 1000NF that's about 450euro's (excluding inflation)

The 20gig had a short lifespan because it did not feel like a fully optional PS3...they gave the costumer the choise to choose.The customer choose for the 60 gig version....Then they came with the 80 gig version and still they sold, but the 60gig version sold faster becoz of the price reduction. (BLING learning curve BLING)

The 40gig is released and it's fully optional and hounastly will you be playing a lot of PS2 games or PS3 games on your PS3? 

The 40gig was the solution a cheaper version of the fully optional PS3....so two usb ports and a memory card reader were pulled out. Does it affect the gameplay, design or atrracktiveness of this console?

THe Pricereduction proved that people want to pay less. The product of this learning curve is the 40gig version.

Video games are expensive.....but hey.....these guys work their ass of for 2,5 year....without income.

Don't you think they deserve it (SIEANR). Like U2 & eminem thay work hard to produce soemthing you can enjoy.

Is it bad that they ask a lot for something they can only sell it to you once? 

Don't you think the price will get lower in a few years.

Gnizmo....

don't forget the WI-FI and the High dev DVD player. The design

I think the theoretical price difference is like 400$. So the Xbox360 is more expensive for what you get.

The Blu-ray palyerr will get more valuable if the games get more bigger then they already are.

What happens if a game is like 50 gig, are you willing to load 5 discs just to play your game? 

I can understand that people say 400$ is expensive. I rather have them say I can't pay 400$ now or I don't have that budget.

It's like saying Mercedes is to expensive knowing you can't afford it.

If you can't afford a mercedes(PS3) you buy a FIAT(wii) or a Alfa Romeo(xbox) 

A mercedes has all the luxuries and the design looks perfect

A Alfa Romeo has some luxuries but it aint it while the design is not bad

A FIAT is just a car with a cheap design

SO you have a budget it's so low you can't afford a Alfa....so the Alfa is expensive and the Mercedes is to Expensive...the truth is you just don't have the cash to buy it . It might be expensive to you but to Prince Ahmed ahud slumiben mumi it is small change.

31 million PS3's by end of this year

Enlightment said:
koffieboon said:
Enlightment said:

It is not really polite to write in Dutch on an international forum.

On topic: 400 dollar is still very expensive for a game console, specifically for a console where the most anticipated games won't be released before 2008. The whole move from Sony does seem like a bit of a desperate act to me. I mean, first they discontinued the 20GB version because there was no consumer interest and now they more or less reintroduce it again with the 40GB version. It just doesn't seem like they really know what they're doing and just try some things hoping it will somehow miraculously improve sales.

Well my bad for using the dutch language..

How can it be expensive...do you rember how much youhad to pay for the PS2 when it was first introduced??

I payed like 1000NF that's about 450euro's (excluding inflation)

The 20gig had a short lifespan because it did not feel like a fully optional PS3...they gave the costumer the choise to choose.The customer choose for the 60 gig version....Then they came with the 80 gig version and still they sold, but the 60gig version sold faster becoz of the price reduction. (BLING learning curve BLING)

The 40gig is released and it's fully optional and hounastly will you be playing a lot of PS2 games or PS3 games on your PS3?

The 40gig was the solution a cheaper version of the fully optional PS3....so two usb ports and a memory card reader were pulled out. Does it affect the gameplay, design or atrracktiveness of this console?

THe Pricereduction proved that people want to pay less. The product of this learning curve is the 40gig version.

Video games are expensive.....but hey.....these guys work their ass of for 2,5 year....without income.

Don't you think they deserve it (SIEANR). Like U2 & eminem thay work hard to produce soemthing you can enjoy.

Is it bad that they ask a lot for something they can only sell it to you once?

Don't you think the price will get lower in a few years.

Gnizmo....

don't forget the WI-FI and the High dev DVD player. The design

I think the theoretical price difference is like 400$. So the Xbox360 is more expensive for what you get.

The Blu-ray palyerr will get more valuable if the games get more bigger then they already are.

What happens if a game is like 50 gig, are you willing to load 5 discs just to play your game?

I can understand that people say 400$ is expensive. I rather have them say I can't pay 400$ now or I don't have that budget.

It's like saying Mercedes is to expensive knowing you can't afford it.

If you can't afford a mercedes(PS3) you buy a FIAT(wii) or a Alfa Romeo(xbox)

A mercedes has all the luxuries and the design looks perfect

A Alfa Romeo has some luxuries but it aint it while the design is not bad

A FIAT is just a car with a cheap design

SO you have a budget it's so low you can't afford a Alfa....so the Alfa is expensive and the Mercedes is to Expensive...the truth is you just don't have the cash to buy it . It might be expensive to you but to Prince Ahmed ahud slumiben mumi it is small change.

that's a lot of bullshit in a lot of text really..and use grammar next time please, then i might actually be able to read it properly

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Lol arguments that PS2 was expansive at lunch doesn't apply to me. I wasn't crazy enough to buy it then... I waited till the price drops to around 200$!

DMeisterJ said:

You must not know that between the price of $100 to $200 is the mainstream sweet price. And when your comparing consoles with other consoles the consumer and sometimes early adopters go after the cheapest console. Wii is the prime example, its cheap and affordable. The PS3 is $400 that is still rather expensive. And if your expecting the mainstream audience to pick up on a $400 console. Then your crazy, they will more likely go after the Wii or the Xbox 360 Arcade bundle. PS3 still has some problems. Now if the 360 only had the Elite then it would be some comparing but the PS3 has no chance against the Wii even.

Good luck Sony. Happy mainstream audience hunting!