By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who thinks $400 is still expensive?

Some people here talk like they have all the money in the world... I know my money isn't used only for gaming and when I buy a console, I buy it for the fun value and the games on it. Also, keep in mind that I don't use my consoles for anything else beside playing games.

So far, I see the PS3 as a media device than can play games, not a console, that's why it turns me off and the price is a major factor for me. There are some games I like on it but 3-4 games isn't enough for me to spend that much for so little games.

Xbox has almost no games I like on it.

There's only Wii left, which has games I know I would enjoy and great price. The Wii-mote makes the games even more fun to play.

So that's my conclusion, spending 400$ on a console, is kinda throwing away money... Now if you use it's media then I can undersand... It's just not a valid point for me, but it is for other people.

Around the Network

everyone can hate all they want but sony is definitely doing the right thing.. introducing a 400 dollar system is definitely a step in the right direction....even though it takes away ps2BC it opens up a world of other things like current gen gaming blu ray wifi. and free online account gaming.. i definitley dont think thats a step in the wrong direction.. it definitely holds more value than a 360

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Enlightment said:

I have bought mine this year when it was released in Holland. I will be buying the value pack in November (one when I travel the other stationary at home :) )

Wow. Two profit sapping consoles with the same software library effectively halves Sony's profit making from the games you buy. Good job!

Enlightment said:
This is plain crap......400euro/$ is cheap for what you get.
Wii is just another PS2 with controls that wear you out. After all the kiddie stuff are released, I can't see what else they can come up with.
Next-gen start when Sony says so. Why?
PS2/PSP/DS/Wii are still selling like hot cakes..... that's why.
So nxt gen will be a standard in the following years to come.
Ready yourself when Sony has it's act together. You all wine to much(but it helped you guys to ower the price).

It is NOT expensive you don't see me running of to buy a Wii, because I already ahve a PSP & a Weeyippie.
Games my friend GAMES.....
Personally I played Zelda(I think on the Amiga or was Zelda a game stolen from the Amiga, can't remember). But I don't like any games release on the Wii specially 1st party.

So it all comes to games...what games do you like.
What console can't perform that great to play that game you want.
Personally my bet is on the PS3.
I have bought mine this year when it was released in Holland. I will be buying the value pack in November (one when I travel the other stationary at home :) )

Don't get brainwashed by the propaganda that 400$ is expensive.
You what's expensive the Xbxo360 that's expensive.... do your math.

god sorry for this guy, embarresment for my country =(

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

SlorgNet said:
sieanr said:

Inflation calculator; What cost $300 in 2000 would cost $351.26 in 2006 - http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

I don't know where that site is getting its numbers, it seems to be talking about buying the same product over time, which isn't an accurate metric of inflation. The official inflation numbers are from US Bureau of Labor Statistics, right here: http://www.bls.gov/cpi/#tables

According to the BLS, $299 in 2000 would be $361.02 in 2007. So the $399 PS3, assuming it's actually released this holiday, really is quite close to the price-point of the original PS2.

Oh shit, $10 off makes all the difference in the world. Still, $40 is almost the cost of a game or the price of a controller. Oh wait, both those things have gone up too.

Really now, the price point is almost where the PS2 was at launch - do you realize how absurd that sounds? That the system has had its biggest price drop, and yet it just hit the almost the cost of its predessor at its most expensive.

Once more, people have gone on and on about how this will "send the PS3 through the roof" - but thats just silly. With the cost of the next gen systems people have lost perspective on how expensive $400 is. That early adopter price, thats "we accidentally killed timmys dog and need to make up for it" range, not sort/kinda expensive Christmas gift. Furthermore, the PS3s competitors are still cheaper, and in some cases significantly.

Basically, when the PS3 hits $200 you can start calling the price "mainstream", until then acknoledge that $400 is still too much for most people. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
Neos said:
Enlightment said:
This is plain crap......400euro/$ is cheap for what you get.
Wii is just another PS2 with controls that wear you out. After all the kiddie stuff are released, I can't see what else they can come up with.
Next-gen start when Sony says so. Why?
PS2/PSP/DS/Wii are still selling like hot cakes..... that's why.
So nxt gen will be a standard in the following years to come.
Ready yourself when Sony has it's act together. You all wine to much(but it helped you guys to ower the price).

It is NOT expensive you don't see me running of to buy a Wii, because I already ahve a PSP & a Weeyippie.
Games my friend GAMES.....
Personally I played Zelda(I think on the Amiga or was Zelda a game stolen from the Amiga, can't remember). But I don't like any games release on the Wii specially 1st party.

So it all comes to games...what games do you like.
What console can't perform that great to play that game you want.
Personally my bet is on the PS3.

Don't get brainwashed by the propaganda that 400$ is expensive.
You what's expensive the Xbxo360 that's expensive.... do your math.

god sorry for this guy, embarresment for my country =(

Dont be sorry, he's quite the comedian

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Ahhh zit je aan de verliezende kant kerel...Xbox360 fan zeker :)

31 million PS3's by end of this year

People are still saying 400 dollars. It is not 400 dollars anywhere, it is 400 euros which is 565dollars.

And at that there seems to be no game or controller. While the premium is 350 euros with two AAA titles. And you don't feel you are getting the second string sku.

I suppose this is where the problem is for sony, in that premium from where i am standing still looks to be a better deal. You also get the component cables which believe it or not saves you 30 euros or 45 dollars approx. By the time you spend 60-70 euros on one game or 130 euros approx on two games and get the component cables you are spending a lot of money. I hope to buy one of these consoles early next year some time, but at the moment 360 looks a lot better deal in terms of software and hardware when it at least comes to gaming.

Please please please stop saying 400 dollars because there is not a ps3 in the world that is 400 us dollars new off the shelf. There might be in america but not in europe anyway. Speaking as a european, the 360 has brought on the xboxes image no end in europe especially since the disaster of ps3 so far.

I hope the ps3 gets it's act together, i was a sony fan before the ps3 and if they take out that bloody blu ray player and give me a gameing console which has the price of a piece of hardware that you play games on i will buy it. I also think that games like little big plannet and loco roco are very interesting and could be really great. I'm not really into GT or MGS, i have played those sort of games for years and the reality thing is a bit stale for me now, looking for different experiences, which by and large the wii is delivering for me till i get my next system.

So in summary sony is still going to have it tough in europe, they need to get lean mean and compeditive again.

I don't know if it is significant but I have seen a number of second hand ps3's in gamestop here in Ireland.

For me $400 is alot of money when I think about it. I just scarficed $450 to get an Xbox 360 Elite. And I don't even think about wanting another console no time soon. Just for the simple fact $250 is alot IMO. I'm not that obsessive with video games to have all three. I like all three, but the 360 satisfies my needs for gaming. My sweet price is aroung $150 or $200. Thats how much I paid for my PS2, Gameboy Color, Genesis, PS1, PSP. I made my first ever purchase on a console and it was the 360. Those previous consoles I mentioned, my parents bought for me. But when the money is coming from my pocket its a huge different story. I find it that I don't want a DS, PS3, or Wii. Because I'm already gamed with PSP which is $180, 360 which was $450. I'm happy.

But to end it $400 is alot, when your in a situation as far as paying bills, helping your household. Most of the people who own all systems are either rich or extreme gamers, meaning you like to play video games alot. I put my myself in a category of not having alot of money to waste on video games. Its just not me.

Enlightment said:
Ahhh zit je aan de verliezende kant kerel...Xbox360 fan zeker :)

It is not really polite to write in Dutch on an international forum.

On topic: 400 dollar is still very expensive for a game console, specifically for a console where the most anticipated games won't be released before 2008. The whole move from Sony does seem like a bit of a desperate act to me. I mean, first they discontinued the 20GB version because there was no consumer interest and now they more or less reintroduce it again with the 40GB version. It just doesn't seem like they really know what they're doing and just try some things hoping it will somehow miraculously improve sales.