By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Last information on PS3 sales in Spain

Don't you get it? There is no correct. All polling has a margin of error. There are differences between Famitsu and M-Create, but they don't change the numbers they already published because one doesn't match the other.

Around the Network

Well it's nice indeed. But be prepared, Sony will sell about 500k a week if the whole world has the 40gig version for sale.

I stick to my estimate of 8million pieces by end of this YEAR.
End of next week they will have 5million
next month it will have reached 6 million

The analyst is way off....HE forgot about the xbox720 and the slowdown of the Wii and the introduction of the PSP2

31 million PS3's by end of this year

Well if i can, yet again, refer back to the Financial Times results, which were compiled from NPD, Enterbrain? (or was it Media Create?) and GfK,...VGcharts has the numbers for PS3 and 360 spot on (with Wii overtracked by 100k).

The GfK number they used were for up to the end of July,....So VGC is correct for PS3 up to then (it could of course be under in spain and over somewhere else but the total is correct)

If we assume that as VGC total is correct, and thus assume VGC was correct for Spain as of the end of July (150k PS3s sold) then in the past two months PS3 would have had to sell more than 10k units per week to make it to 250k.

I would hedge (is that the right word?) a bet that someone from Sony would try to spin the numbers possibly mixing their own shipped with GfK numbers for Wii/360.

I will not however, rule out the possibility that PS3 numbers here are undertracked, in fact i think they probably are by maybe 20k or so, but not by 70k, i'll go with the shipped thing because Sony have been calling their consoles sold to retail as sold to consumers all over (ie Australia)

Whatever happens, it will sort itself out in the end, i think if VGC was so close at the end of July (total wise) that if the PS3 is undertracked in Spain it is definately overtracked somewhere else.

And @ enlightenment, i agree with that number, i have been estimating PS3 sell-through for end07 to be between 7.5 and 8.0 million for a long time (5M mid Oct, 500k more until mid Nov then 2.5M for the rest of the year),..... i may up that by 500k in light of the 40G and price drop stuff, so 8.0-8.5 million.

Though as it is for some of the "Sony tracked shipped numbers and now tracks sold to retailers " mantra faithfuls the fact is that Sony ,as probably Nintendo and MS as well ,does have full access to the data of Media Create ,NPD ,GFK ,Chartracks ,Adese or whatever .If it was your business of thousand millions wouldnt you spend like some 1000 dollars a year to have this vital information by being direct client of those services ?

This has been shown several times in many interviews .Interviews with this guy Armstrong of last year showed that he knew exactly what was being sold and not only their own products but Nintendo and Microsoft as well .I remember a concrete interview when he said they were selling like 10 K PS2 in Spain weekly while the 360 numbers were consistently 900-1000 consoles each week .He also compared weekly numbers for the PSP and the DS concluding that in some good weeks the PSP was on par with the DS and that while the DS sold better overall they had a grip on some 40% of the market (this was just at the beggining of the BT craze ) .Sony Spain has showed in many ocassions to have a full knowlodgement at the sales information updated weekly .

I know the "Sony only tracks shipped or sold to customers numbers " mantra is recomforting ,specially for some people that dont like Sony too much .But it isnt true .Sony ,as well as their internal numbers ,as full access to the data of the agencies .

And ,in the case of Europe ,when they talk about sales numbers they tell the "sold to customers " numbers .That was the case with Georges Fornay last week in France (that he backed mentioning GFK ) as he explicitly said and this is the case with Armstrong in Spain .

If ioi accepted the Fornay word on this in the French case he should do the same with this .More so ,it isnt a surprise announcement .The same guy gave mid-july the sales data for Spain and Portugal at the time and it was 194 000 for Spain and some 26 000 for Portugal for a total of 220 000 .It had already surpassed the 360 then .For the record ,Nintendo told as well when the Wii had surpassed the 360 in Spain and it was around february .THe only one here that doesnt open the mouth is MS and because they better dont .

As for the "if it is undertracked in Spain it is overtracked elsewhere " it is laughable .When the french data came ioi adjusted it without reducing the numbers elsewhere .Collecting european data is tricky and the site does its best ,but that doesnt mean it is infallible .It is fallible ,good thing is that when new data arrives they change the numbers .IF they now change the spanish numbers and dont change anything else what are you going to say ?Will you reclaim it to keep faithful to some predictions that have been proved incorrect by reality ?

THe PS3 is above 250 000 in Spain right now ,this is a fact that cant be spinned as some are trying to do .Just accept it .

The burden of proof is upon you, because you are making a claim. So far your only evidence is that some executive has reported sold to customer number in the past, therefor the current number must be a sold to customer number. To me that is speculation and not evidence.

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
Ok now that it's been proved it's undertracked I expect the Ps3 to be OVER 5 million at the end of week ending 7 october

OMG NOT OVER 5 million, Wii/360 is DOOOOMED!

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

@neos

why are you such a troll?

OT: well yeah the europe numbers are probably off for all consoles, now we know the PS3 numbers they should be adjusted, if/when we know the wii/360 numbers they too should be adjusted. Although I am not complaining, ioi does a fantastic job with this site.

when will we know officialy how many consoles have been sold in Spain?, anybody know it?