By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey revealed for Nintendo DS

OH DS, pleeeease, stop! I can't study, no more RPGs PLEASE! And look at what you gave to me DS, a new SMT game, I hate you soooo much!

Around the Network
mai said:

Some pieces of art remind me of old (really old, ancient) sci-fi movies and their naive representation of future technology =) Good art as always. Though gameplay seems generic in vein of old SMTs (that plays much like rogue-likes). Good for old school gamers, but I'm already tired of these jRPG manstream games. Could we be a little (just a little) more innovative, ple-e-ease?

Atlus constantly do that with the series.  Persona 3 and 4's marriage of RPG gameplay and school sim elements was an innovative experience that hadn't been done before.  SMT has been well regarded even by Western critics since the series as a whole tends to be very refreshing compared to the average non FF JRPG.  There is a rumor that this new SMT is a main game but I'm not buying it unless Word of God says so.

Riachu said:

Atlus constantly do that with the series.  Persona 3 and 4's marriage of RPG gameplay and school sim elements was an innovative experience that hadn't been done before.  SMT has been well regarded even by Western critics since the series as a whole tends to be very refreshing compared to the average non FF JRPG.  There is a rumor that this new SMT is a main game but I'm not buying it unless Word of God says so.

True, Personas on my top list. My complaint wasn't addressed to Atlus particularly, though besides Personas they're making a lot of old school stuff targeted at niche.

keep making more SMT games and you'll have my money atlus.

even more DS RPG's, wow

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Why is this first person? =/ Oh well.

Also, I really don't like that Kaneko dude's character designs (I like Persona's designs better) but whatever...

Nice to see it on a system I own though.

Because the main series is first person (maybe this game is Shin Megami Tensei 4). I play Shin Megami Tensei since the first games on snes, and man.... the storyline is... is... deep and amazingly well done! I am very excited for this game.

a maybe for me, first person view?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

More details:

- spatial rift appeared over Antarctica
- humans call the place the rift leads to “Schwarz-verse”
- protagonist's goal is to explore this rift
- rift is full of demons that were thought to be legend and myth
- you play as an elite soldier assigned to the ship 'Red Sprite No. 1'
- other ships include Blue Jet No. 2, Elves No. 3, and Gigantic No. 4.
- ship is filled with scientists and soldiers
- No. 1 is the commanding crew, No. 2 and 4 specialize in battle, No. 3 is nothing but scientists
- Captain Gore: captain of the exploration team “So long as all in this ship cooperate, investigation is not an impossibility.”
- Himenez : American volunteer that is looking forward to gaining accolades after this mission “As long as I get what I deserve, I plan on contributing what I can as long as I’m not dead.”
- Selenin: Russian scientist with great knowledge of the rift “The populace is being deceived with the false information that there is a large blizzard storm, but the truth is…”
- 3d dungeons
- first person view on top screen
- collect items to unveil items you couldn't see before
- bottom screen shows vitals, which are displayed on an arm-piece of your Demonica suit
- map function on arm-piece
- Demonica Suit was created by scientists, can adapt to your surroundings, and can even boost stats for an impending attack
- Demonica Suit can also see enemies that aren't in view yet, and identify various life forms
- various aspects of the suit are a mystery that you'll find out about as you progress
- around 300 enemies
- Kaneko Kazuma returns to create monsters
- use recruited monsters to fuse into new ones
- use conversations with monsters to fuse them
- monsters can be used during battle to perform combo moves, or exploit enemy weaknesses
- some monsters give you quests to find rare items
- must work with crew members to complete missions
- working with crew awards you new items
- crew conversations can impact game's story path

From GoNintendo

Another SMT for DS huh? Hope this will release soon in the west. Glad to see it follows the old-school SMT-style.

What timing. Playing Devil Survivor and loving it.