By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are most games worth $50-$60, even today?

vaio said:
salaminizer said:
vaio said:
bardicverse said:
vaio said:
bardicverse said:
Personally, I think 50-60 is too high for a game. The problem is that there are too many people with their hands in that pie. Digitally distributed games will hopefully cut down on a few key areas:

Developer to Gamer format is a good example of this - Cut out the publisher, manufacturing and shipping costs via digital distribution, cut out the store that sells the game. Developer can easily make the same money, but at more than half the cost, at $20-$25

Or Digital Redistribution - go from the developer to a digital kiosk in a store, where the player can acquire the game. Frees up limited shelf space (as it turns into server space), and the game can sell for $30.

Only situations that require game funding from a publisher would be keep at the higher end, which with digital distribution, should only be a max of $40.

I was hoping for that too but seeing Sony charging people the same for DL games on PSP GO as they do for physical media makes me want to cry as I am afraid the others will follow.

This is what happens when a publisher is also a console designer. Too many fingers in the pie, they won't be consumer-minded. Ultimately, there will eb two parties, the party that bends over for the company abusing them, and the party that tells them to piss off and doesn't buy their products anymore.

I wouldn't expect one of the big names to bear the flag of revolutionary change, it will happen with a small fry that comes out with a great game that becomes popular.

The revolution will be Tivo'd.

But i dont get why people buy into this crap methods.

To me its a rip of to charge someone the same ammount of money for a DL game as the same game would cost to buy in the store, there is no middleman, no box, no artwork that comes with the box and all those saves should go to the gamers pocket so they can buy more games.

I just dont get what they are thinking with and how people seem to accept the rip off.

they are thinking that retailers are still their partners. unless the publisher drops retailing altogether it doesn't make sense to piss them off.

So pissing of existing and potential customers is a better way to go?

well, it's still an option (to buy it digitally). it happens in Steam and other DD sites, and sometimes it's even worse, when it's more expensive in digital distribution sites than in retail (esp. in Europe, since Steam has higher prices for a while now).

in the end they know that the customer will buy the games anyway, it's the same with $50-60 games. obviously it was a risk when they tried, but they saw that the customers were still buying the games, why not continue with it?

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
salaminizer said:
vaio said:
salaminizer said:
vaio said:
bardicverse said:
vaio said:
bardicverse said:
Personally, I think 50-60 is too high for a game. The problem is that there are too many people with their hands in that pie. Digitally distributed games will hopefully cut down on a few key areas:

Developer to Gamer format is a good example of this - Cut out the publisher, manufacturing and shipping costs via digital distribution, cut out the store that sells the game. Developer can easily make the same money, but at more than half the cost, at $20-$25

Or Digital Redistribution - go from the developer to a digital kiosk in a store, where the player can acquire the game. Frees up limited shelf space (as it turns into server space), and the game can sell for $30.

Only situations that require game funding from a publisher would be keep at the higher end, which with digital distribution, should only be a max of $40.

I was hoping for that too but seeing Sony charging people the same for DL games on PSP GO as they do for physical media makes me want to cry as I am afraid the others will follow.

This is what happens when a publisher is also a console designer. Too many fingers in the pie, they won't be consumer-minded. Ultimately, there will eb two parties, the party that bends over for the company abusing them, and the party that tells them to piss off and doesn't buy their products anymore.

I wouldn't expect one of the big names to bear the flag of revolutionary change, it will happen with a small fry that comes out with a great game that becomes popular.

The revolution will be Tivo'd.

But i dont get why people buy into this crap methods.

To me its a rip of to charge someone the same ammount of money for a DL game as the same game would cost to buy in the store, there is no middleman, no box, no artwork that comes with the box and all those saves should go to the gamers pocket so they can buy more games.

I just dont get what they are thinking with and how people seem to accept the rip off.

they are thinking that retailers are still their partners. unless the publisher drops retailing altogether it doesn't make sense to piss them off.

So pissing of existing and potential customers is a better way to go?

well, it's still an option (to buy it digitally). it happens in Steam and other DD sites, and sometimes it's even worse, when it's more expensive in digital distribution sites than in retail (esp. in Europe, since Steam has higher prices for a while now).

in the end they know that the customer will buy the games anyway, it's the same with $50-60 games. obviously it was a risk when they tried, but they saw that the customers were still buying the games, why not continue with it?

Thats my point they have been doing this for a while and noone is even trying to counter it, If we the consumers say nothing and just accept it, it will keep on going up.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

No... I miss the 50$ days...

4 ≈ One

I think games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion should cost $75 since they're so incredibly big, taking on average 80-100 hours on a first playthrough.

Short single-player only games should cost $45-50.

Pipedream24 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
I paid 50-60$ and even more for games ten years ago (Remember N64 games).

In those ten years I saw that a lot of things got more expensive around me. Beer, watch a movie/rent a movie/ Go to an attraction park etc.

So yeah for me it is fair to pay 50-60$ for a game because they can give me entertainment for more than 10-50 hours and be serious their is not much else where you can have 10-50 hours of entertainment and pay less than 50$ today.

This is exactly how I feel as well.  A decent night at the bar and you easily spend $60.  My wife and I took our daughter to a Matinee showing of Ice Age 3-D the other day and spent over $50.  Gaming is the best value for your entertainment dollar. Without question  And if you by a retail version of a game, you can either sell it when your done or lend it out for others to play.  I have no problem spending $60 on a game when it first hits the shelves.

This can't be stressed enough. Games are in general insane value compared to other forms of entertainment.

Around the Network

Only if they're multiplayer, or a really long RPG, like Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

You got it lucky. Here in Finland new games cost 80-85$, so I would say 50-60$ is worth it easily. I know the difference is so big because dollars current course but you get the idea.

Currently playing: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3), Comet Crash (PS3), Super Stardust HD (PS3), League of Legends BETA (PC), Heroes of Newerth BETA (PC)

Finished recently: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)

Thretau said:
You got it lucky. Here in Finland new games cost 80-85$, so I would say 50-60$ is worth it easily. I know the difference is so big because dollars current course but you get the idea.

Actually its more like $75-100(~50-70€) for HD console games and PC games are $40-65(30-45€).

Well we fins have VAT which means 22% more price to every game. So new games are usually 50-70€. Only game this gen I have paid for over 50€ is metal gear solid 4 because I'm a huge mgs-fanboy, every other game I own I've bought for 15-30€. I'm very patient so I usually wait 6-12 months for a price drop and then get the games I've been wanting to play. Right now Valkyria chronicles is propably the next game I'm getting since I've seen it as cheap as 30€ at some places.

Thretau said:

U got it completely upside down.

1. The Euro is record high compared to the Dollar - which actually means you have to pay less for US goods than a couple of years ago.

2. As others have said, 22% VAT is included in that $80-85, while in the USA a 5-7.5% VAT is added on the $60 for a new game. And a high VAT tax forces the retail to increase the markup margin since the retailer will sell less, which increases the final price even more. So blame your government for high taxes.