By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are most games worth $50-$60, even today?

Slimebeast said:
Thretau said:
You got it lucky. Here in Finland new games cost 80-85$, so I would say 50-60$ is worth it easily. I know the difference is so big because dollars current course but you get the idea.

U got it completely upside down.

1. The Euro is record high compared to the Dollar - which actually means you have to pay less for US goods than a couple of years ago.

2. As others have said, 22% VAT is included in that $80-85, while in the USA a 5-7.5% VAT is added on the $60 for a new game. And a high VAT tax forces the retail to increase the markup margin since the retailer will sell less, which increases the final price even more. So blame your government for high taxes.

Our Nordic countries are completly insane when it comes to tax stuff, we are paying thorugh the nose for everything and people just gladly bend over and take it. Nordic countries population = retarded sheep

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

^actually I mite have made an error with no 1. I think actually I got it wrong. I dont know, im confused lol.

Point no 2. is still true though. ^ And I agree about retarded sheep lol.

only a few games ill spend 60 bucks on, but i like how pc games are always the cheapest and they go down in price very quickly compared to console games :)

the aus dollar to the us dollar is currently US-$0.91c and tekken is 119.76 i think it is... ENJOY :D

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I've never found any game to be worth more than £30, except GTA: San Andreas. Hence why I usually get my games through alternative means. Its the industry's fault for ridiculous pricing.

Around the Network

I have to admit $60 is a bit steep for a consumer.

Game has to scream value for me to lay it down. RPGs, sports, etc.

Hmm... most games, no. There are a few that I think are worth $50, and ironically, many of them were released at less than $50! (I'm looking at P3FES for $30 and P4 for $40. And there's a slew of handhelds also.) But if you're going to tell me that a $50 game will last me 8 hours, I'm going to wait for a price drop. I have made mistakes on this in the past, though, thinking a game is worth it, only to find out that it was severely disappointing and/or short.

To counter a few of the things brought up in this thread. First, yes, I remember when games were more than $50. Heck, on the SNES, FF3 (now 6) was $80 new. I picked up a used copy for $50, and it was definitely worth it. But even then, most of the games weren't worth the $50-60 that they were. And the problem was exasporated on the N64. (I maintain that Quest 64 was the worst $70 I spent on a game.)

And then we have entertainment dollars and value. Yes, I would rather have 10 great hours over 20 mediocre hours. But there is a limit still to what I will pay for those hours. People have mentioned movie tickets, which I think are the absolute worst entertainment value. The last movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars Ep 1, and that was in a second-run theater for $1. But I'm not paying $11 for 1.5 hours of entertainment. However, I do still get hit hard with anime. Nowadays, I pay about $32.40 for about 5.5 hours. Better than the theater, but not by much. If I wanted sheer value alone, there's cable TV. A decent (not overstuffed) plan is $60/month. Allowing an average 30 days in a month, and 2 hours a day average, that's $1/hour, which I can make even cheaper by watching more! However, that's not really a fair rate, so I'll stick with what I pay for anime- a $50 game then should give me at least 8.5 hours. But I can't count on all those hours being amazing, coupled with the fact that things can take a downturn, or it can just not live up to what I expected. So I want a discount for buying that much entertainment up front. (Buying in bulk discount?) Now I expect 10 hours. Most games can't generate that much enthusiasm for me, and thus, aren't bought.

This doesn't mean that I set $50 as an absolute, however. There are a few games that just offered so much fun that I pay a sizable chunk for them, and they were worth it. From $67.50 for Persona 1 on PS1, to $135 for Suikoden 2, they aren't purchases I regret.

But there's one last category- the collector's game. Some of these are worth $50 just to have. My personal example for that is the Japanese playable demo cartridge of Chrono Trigger. In another case, you may be 1 or 2 Virtual Boy games away from having the entire library. They won't give the entertainment price, but damned if they don't make the collector in you feel good!

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

I've found that on average I get about 15-20 hours out of each game and can resell newer games for around $25-35 (after ebay fees) so that's about $2.50 an hour for entertainment, which is pretty good compared to many other cheap forms of entertainment.

Not really. I go to CAG for all my deals and rarely pay more then $40 for a game.
Theres a few awesome games out that with insane replay value, but I hardly think any game is worth paying more then $40 for.

Same goes for handheld games as I hate paying more then $20 for most of them.

It's just that simple.

Yeah but 70$ is ridiculous.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E