By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kazunori Yamauchi Teases Us With GT5's 2009 Release Date Again

makingmusic476 said:

Honestly, I think it would be beneficial releasing both games just 1-2 months apart, for a few reasons:

1. The interactivity between the two alone is making me think of getting GTM to compliment GT5. The thought of unlocking cars while on the go that can be used in the console game is tantalizing. Releasing the games near each other would make the impact of this feature most effective, from sales perspective.

2. There are 50 million PSP owners out there. Not so many ps3 owners. Getting people hooked on GTM could nudge them towards buying a ps3, or at least towards buying GT5 in addition to GTM. The interactivity mentioned above would help here as well.

3. Marketing would be made much easier, from a mindshare perspective. Between the release of both games, you'll have people talking about Gran Turismo for a good three months straight. Plus you could do some joint advertising for both (advertising "Gran Turismo" moreso than either GT5 or GTM individually), and you could do promotions like FilaB mentioned above - possibly offering a voucher for one title via the other, or maybe something involving demos.

This 100%.

Around the Network
tedsteriscool said:

He's such a tease *blushes*

Edit: Maybe they'll release GT 5 and GT PSP side-by-side since they seem to have features that work with one another?

Buy GT5 and get a free PSP Go!

Now THAT would be successful.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

with the usual staggered release, I see a PAL version coming out 6 months after US version.
So, import it will be for me.
Japan will get it first anyway

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

makingmusic476 said:

Honestly, I think it would be beneficial releasing both games just 1-2 months apart, for a few reasons:

1. The interactivity between the two alone is making me think of getting GTM to compliment GT5. The thought of unlocking cars while on the go that can be used in the console game is tantalizing. Releasing the games near each other would make the impact of this feature most effective, from sales perspective.

2. There are 50 million PSP owners out there. Not so many ps3 owners. Getting people hooked on GTM could nudge them towards buying a ps3, or at least towards buying GT5 in addition to GTM. The interactivity mentioned above would help here as well.

3. Marketing would be made much easier, from a mindshare perspective. Between the release of both games, you'll have people talking about Gran Turismo for a good three months straight. Plus you could do some joint advertising for both (advertising "Gran Turismo" moreso than either GT5 or GTM individually), and you could do promotions like FilaB mentioned above - possibly offering a voucher for one title via the other, or maybe something involving demos.

Firstly, it's GTPortable, not GTMobile.

Secondly, I agree. Maybe a month exactly. Give GTP owners a beta for GT5, and a FREE PS3 (maybe) and then put all kinds of subtle advertising for GT5 in there.

Kantor said:
makingmusic476 said:

Secondly, I agree. Maybe a month exactly. Give GTP owners a beta for GT5, and a FREE PS3 (maybe) and then put all kinds of subtle advertising for GT5 in there.

It's actually simply Gran Turismo. I just used the "M" to differentiate it from other games in the series.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Kantor said:
makingmusic476 said:

It's actually simply Gran Turismo. I just used the "M" to differentiate it from other games in the series.

Is not!

Oh wait, it is. Whoops. But GT Portable sounds better than GT Mobile. Let's just go with GT PSP.

Spankey said:
with the usual staggered release, I see a PAL version coming out 6 months after US version.

I may be spreading misinformation, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview with Kaz Y saying that the game would receive a simultaneous worldwide release. I would dig up the article, but I'm lazy and trust my memory.....

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
Spankey said:

I may be spreading misinformation, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview with Kaz Y saying that the game would receive a simultaneous worldwide release. I would dig up the article, but I'm lazy and trust my memory.....

I don't see why it wouldn't.  GT PSP is, after all.  I'd assume worldwide releases will be the norm for Polyphony from here on out.