By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Next Grand Theft Auto game to be PS3 EXCLUSIVE!

Rumor Buster http://www.1pstart.com/rumor-buster-gta-7-not-sony-exclusive/

For the record, a “Rumor Buster”… kind of like “Bunker Buster”… we use it to debunk rumors. Moving on…

It is being reported that in the latest issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, Sony has been able to lock up the rights to the next Grand Theft Auto title, which would be the seventh in the franchise. The quote being supplied to support this, from HDGameNews, is the following:

“Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of the Cell and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that” as said by Sony’s Michael Shorrock in a statement to the press. ” We handed Rockstar a signed blank check because we were short sighted enough to let Grand Theft Auto’s exclusivity get away from us. Oops!”

I’m here to tell you that this is wrong. I’ll explain why after the break.

First off, if you want to get technical, Grand Theft Auto 4 is already the 9th game in the long-running franchise (Not counting the GTA London games):

• Grand Theft Auto
  • Grand Theft Auto 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto Advance
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

And now, we have GTA IV. Secondly, the first part of that quote. When I read it, it sounded very familiar. Like I’ve heard it before. So, I went to my good friend, a Mr. Griswold Oogle, and had him look into it for me. You know what I found?

We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies.As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new.

Pay special attention to the text in the bold… look familiar? It should: It’s the same damn text, taken from a PlayStation blog post that was made on July 27th by Michael Shorrock, talking about how Sony locked up the rights to a NEW franchise from Rockstar. Outside of mentioning that Rockstar MADE the actual game, there is no mention of the GTA franchise anywhere in that post.

Thirdly, and finally, while I have yet to receive my copy of OXM, no one I’ve talked to has said that there was any mention a Sony buyout of the GTA franchise in the pages of the November issue, which I guess is running late.

So, boys and girls, until I see some definitive proof (aka I either see the magazine article with my own eyes, or Sony comes out and says “yup”)… I call shenanigans. Balderdash. Plain ol’ bullshit. Quite frankly, this rumor… 99.8% not true.

• URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
    PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

well, we do that R* is making two exclusive PS3 games.

L.A. Noire and maybe this? Who knows.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
    And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
    Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
    To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

WEWdeadeye said:

Are you guys nuts saying the 360 version is holding up the development? OTHER WAY AROUND!! The only version rockstar has been showing to the public IS the 360 version. The ps3 version HAS YET TO BE SEEN IN MOTION!! Wow, you guys are amazing sometimes.

(edit) oh yeah, forgot to mention, this is totally a joke. Obviously a good one considering how quickly the ps3 hopeful all jumped on it, haha

It is the 360 version holding it up.  Part of what MS paid rockstar was so they would show just the 360 clips and only those to help promote it on the 360.  There is no solid evidence that it is the PS3 that is holding it up and from rumblings of those "in the know" have stated it was the 360 version that was holding the game back.

For it to be a joke, it would need to be April, not November.  Why would they make a joke like that in their magazine stating something that would be a huge hit against MS?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Apostrovich said:
    lol Missions suck. Me and my brother go for "runs". Whoever can go the longest without dying, being busted, or using the wanted level cheat wins. Of course you have to do crazy shit the whole time.....for example, drive on the sidewalk at all times. Cheats allowed are weapons cheat, armor cheat, and health cheat. Each of which I can enter in less than a second.
    BTW GTA3 is what I'm talking about, and it's still the best.

Haha, that's what I use to do with GTA3.  Then I got bored, sold it, and haven't bought a GTA since.

azzer100 said:
    sony domination starts with GTA7! lol

But seriously this could be hugh. But im willing to bet that Rockstar will wait and see how the sales of GTA4 does on both the 360 and the PS3. I mean just look at the sales of Madden. EA would have been crazy to make it a PS3 exclusive considering how well it sold on the 360

EA has to release madden on all viable consoles as part of the NFL contract.

Around the Network
    URNotE said:

Rumor Buster http://www.1pstart.com/rumor-buster-gta-7-not-sony-exclusive/

For the record, a “Rumor Buster”… kind of like “Bunker Buster”… we use it to debunk rumors. Moving on…

It is being reported that in the latest issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, Sony has been able to lock up the rights to the next Grand Theft Auto title, which would be the seventh in the franchise. The quote being supplied to support this, from HDGameNews, is the following:

“Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of the Cell and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that” as said by Sony’s Michael Shorrock in a statement to the press. ” We handed Rockstar a signed blank check because we were short sighted enough to let Grand Theft Auto’s exclusivity get away from us. Oops!”

I’m here to tell you that this is wrong. I’ll explain why after the break.

First off, if you want to get technical, Grand Theft Auto 4 is already the 9th game in the long-running franchise (Not counting the GTA London games):

• Grand Theft Auto
  • Grand Theft Auto 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 3
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto Advance
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

And now, we have GTA IV. Secondly, the first part of that quote. When I read it, it sounded very familiar. Like I’ve heard it before. So, I went to my good friend, a Mr. Griswold Oogle, and had him look into it for me. You know what I found?

We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies.As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new.

Pay special attention to the text in the bold… look familiar? It should: It’s the same damn text, taken from a PlayStation blog post that was made on July 27th by Michael Shorrock, talking about how Sony locked up the rights to a NEW franchise from Rockstar. Outside of mentioning that Rockstar MADE the actual game, there is no mention of the GTA franchise anywhere in that post.

Thirdly, and finally, while I have yet to receive my copy of OXM, no one I’ve talked to has said that there was any mention a Sony buyout of the GTA franchise in the pages of the November issue, which I guess is running late.

So, boys and girls, until I see some definitive proof (aka I either see the magazine article with my own eyes, or Sony comes out and says “yup”)… I call shenanigans. Balderdash. Plain ol’ bullshit. Quite frankly, this rumor… 99.8% not true.

•  The next GTA will be the 7th CONSOLE GTA.  If they're going to include GTA: Advance, GTA: LCS, and GTA: VCS, then they have to include GTA: London 1969 for the pc as well.

I'm sort of skeptical about this site for posting ridiculous articles like this.

I suppose it's possible, but pretty unlikely that they'd do a move as stupid as this.

jjseth said:
    WEWdeadeye said:

Are you guys nuts saying the 360 version is holding up the development? OTHER WAY AROUND!! The only version rockstar has been showing to the public IS the 360 version. The ps3 version HAS YET TO BE SEEN IN MOTION!! Wow, you guys are amazing sometimes.

(edit) oh yeah, forgot to mention, this is totally a joke. Obviously a good one considering how quickly the ps3 hopeful all jumped on it, haha

It is the 360 version holding it up.  Part of what MS paid rockstar was so they would show just the 360 clips and only those to help promote it on the 360.  There is no solid evidence that it is the PS3 that is holding it up and from rumblings of those "in the know" have stated it was the 360 version that was holding the game back.

For it to be a joke, it would need to be April, not November.  Why would they make a joke like that in their magazine stating something that would be a huge hit against MS?

First of all, you must be the one "in the know" then, huh? Yeah, anyways...I digress. Obviously it was a joke, because someone thought it would be funny to throw this around on the internet. Since when does a joke have to be in April, not only that, there is no confirmation it is ACTUALLY IN THE MAGAZINE. Jokes on you.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

redspear said:
    azzer100 said:
    sony domination starts with GTA7! lol

But seriously this could be hugh. But im willing to bet that Rockstar will wait and see how the sales of GTA4 does on both the 360 and the PS3. I mean just look at the sales of Madden. EA would have been crazy to make it a PS3 exclusive considering how well it sold on the 360

EA has to release madden on all viable consoles as part of the NFL contract.

Oh ok. Sorry I didnt know that, thanks. :)

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Umm the story is a joke as others have already mentioned.