By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says "the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region"

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

Around the Network
albionus said:
Chadius said:
Soriku said:
^ No. It's gone for good.

With all the bungles and (currently!) unproven PS3 library, I really, REALLY want to believe Sony will put BC back in.

Didn't you read the press release, this Christmas the PS3 will have 65 games across all genres, that's 65 GAMES ACROSS ALL GENRES!!!!!! With a lineup like that who needs access to 1,000 2,000+ PS2 games.

naznatips said:
albionus said:
Chadius said:
Soriku said:

With all the bungles and (currently!) unproven PS3 library, I really, REALLY want to believe Sony will put BC back in.

Didn't you read the press release, this Christmas the PS3 will have 65 games across all genres, that's 65 GAMES ACROSS ALL GENRES!!!!!! With a lineup like that who needs access to 1,000 2,000+ PS2 games.

Hey, 1000+ includes 2000+ .  I thought it was over 2,000 but I wasn't sure. The important thing is that for many future PS3 owners that number will be 0.

i have no intention of buying a console that isn't backwards-compatible

By the end of the year, I expect Sony to only be selling rebadged PS2s for 150 Euros and they will call them PS4s.

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe that people still support this company after the myriad of lies and bait-and-switches they've pulled on the public.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
albionus said:
naznatips said:
albionus said:
Chadius said:
Soriku said:

Hey, 1000+ includes 2000+ . I thought it was over 2,000 but I wasn't sure. The important thing is that for many future PS3 owners that number will be 0.

Actually, it's a clever ploy. Sony can re-release them for the PS3.

*~Onna76~* said:
Yojimbo said:
If this is true Sony is making a very bad move. But I really hope they make software emulation or else they are really screwed in Europe 2008 and later.

If I remember it right, they've said to drop BC eventually, but that soon???!!! And why Europe... again? I'm the 0,01% who was planning to buy a JP import console, but the 99,9% of the Europeans who're buying a Pal console are literally being forced to buy the 60GB right now or buy the PS2 later with their 40GB console for those who own PS2 games. To me it sounds like a complete sale stunt!!

Why would they have PS2 games without a PS2???

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wow ! Sony just outsmarted me !
They've got me now, as I didn't have a PS2 and was waiting for a price drop, but I wanted to wait until more of the games I want are out. Now, I'm basically forced to buy the 60 GB in 2 weeks (as I'm not at home next week-end) before they sell out.
What pisses me off, is that I'll have to buy a bundle for more money. The bundles are 500 €. Fortunately, I spotted one with Heavenly Sword. But I'll still get F1 that I don't care about at all, and a second useless controller without rumble. Perhaps I can sell that on eBay, as it has basically no value to me.
Anyway, I need BC, so this 400 € PS3 is even worse value to me.
Well, I guess I can't really cry, I'll just order BluRay content sooner.

I have to give it to Sony, there are very few companies that can turn anything (no matter how positive it would seem in it inital meetings) into a negative thing ...

I have a Crusty the Clown doll
That's good
The Clown is Cursed
That's bad
But it comes with a free Frogurt
That's good
The frogurt is also cursed
That's bad
But the frogurt comes with your choice of topping
That's good
The toppings contain potassium benzoate
That's bad!

outlaw makes a good point, who has a mountain of PS2 titles laying around that are so important to them but dont have a PS2???