By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says "the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region"

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/scee-ps3-60gb-nixed-for-uk-too-307651.php

I can't believe this... Probably another trick to make people rush and buy the 60 GB units now.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I thought the press release was pretty specific. Then again most posters seem oblivious to the fact that they are phasing out the older models, and more importantly there will not be any backward compatibility. Were they able to modify the system to do so with code later on. They would have said so in the press release.

Dodece, it could be that it's in process of being worked on to have full software BC, but in case they just cannot get it to work they don't want to make that claim now and bring it out later as an added surprise.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Wasn't it the last time the Americans had to read also from Kotaku that the "60GB SKU" would eventually drop after Sony officially announced the 80G version in the US? And did it? YES, it did.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Wii fanboys are morons.

lack any common sense.

Around the Network

If this is true Sony is making a very bad move. But I really hope they make software emulation or else they are really screwed in Europe 2008 and later.

*~Onna76~* said:
Wasn't it the last time the Americans had to read also from Kotaku that the "60GB SKU" would eventually drop after Sony officially announced the 80G version in the US? And did it? YES, it did.

Yes, they're basically threatening their customers. "Buy our console now, or lose backwards compatibility".

Later, they'll say "ohhh due to popular demand here's a 80 GB unit with the same gimped European BC you used to have".

I'm sorry but Sony has officially jumped the shark with the PS3. They have no respect for their customers at all, especially in Europe!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
*~Onna76~* said:

Yes, they're basically threatening their customers. "Buy our console now, or lose backwards compatibility".

Later, they'll say "ohhh due to popular demand here's a 80 GB unit with the same gimped European BC you used to have".

I'm sorry but Sony has officially jumped the shark with the PS3. They have no respect for their customers at all, especially in Europe!

I hate that.  I love my PS2. Please don't do this to me Sony.  Meh, this whole thing has put me in a really bad mood.  I'm gonna go play Phantom Hourglass to have fun again.

Yojimbo said:
If this is true Sony is making a very bad move. But I really hope they make software emulation or else they are really screwed in Europe 2008 and later.

If I remember it right, they've said to drop BC eventually, but that soon???!!! And why Europe... again? I'm the 0,01% who was planning to buy a JP import console, but the 99,9% of the Europeans who're buying a Pal console are literally being forced to buy the 60GB right now or buy the PS2 later with their 40GB console for those who own PS2 games. To me it sounds like a complete sale stunt!!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Whats the bet that next time 'round its going to be a 100GB PS3, just so the can have gone 20, 40, 60, 80, 100.

In fact I'm going for 100GB PS3 completely chromed.