By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Super Mario Galaxy live up to the hype?

BenKenobi88 said:
Yes...if it's long enough. It needs to be as long as Super Mario 64 at least...I must be one of the only people who didn't like NSMB because it was REALLY short.

And being able to go back and get all the little collectibles is one thing...I want a lot of actual levels to go through. SM64 had plenty of levels, and plenty of unique things to do in each level. Sunshine had that too...though I feel it had less. SMG needs to have a lot of content...the more the better I say.

Well, NSMB was about as long as a 2D mario can be.

There are 40 unique levels with 3 stars each to collect. So far, I haven't seen any red (or worse, blue) coins, so those may be gone. Then again, I have seen collecting of little white stars, such as in the Stard Dust Galaxy, to get a Star. I'm pretty sure the majority of starts will be acquired by finding paths to the Stars.

I'm not sure there will be secret levels, but there will definately be secret paths to take on certain levels; probably stemming from how you manipulate the unique gravity of certain planets/asteroids in the level.

@fkusumot,

I believe he was talking about NSMB, and I agree. 

Around the Network
DonWii said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Yes...if it's long enough. It needs to be as long as Super Mario 64 at least...I must be one of the only people who didn't like NSMB because it was REALLY short.

And being able to go back and get all the little collectibles is one thing...I want a lot of actual levels to go through. SM64 had plenty of levels, and plenty of unique things to do in each level. Sunshine had that too...though I feel it had less. SMG needs to have a lot of content...the more the better I say.

I'm not sure there will be secret levels, but there will definately be secret paths to take on certain levels; probably stemming from how you manipulate the unique gravity of certain planets/asteroids in the level.

I think it's safe to say there will be secret levels. I beleive that's how you find some of the stars.

I'm not that hyped about this game. It's mostly Brawl I want, but reading what people have said, I'm sure everyone will love it.

Maybe, I worried about three things.

1. Length
2. Replay Value
3. Will I get dizzy playing it?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@DonWii & shams

Ah, didn't get that from the context. Hehe.

Unlockable content is always cool. Secrets and real easter eggs are even better. I can't remember where I read it (an online review?) but I recall something like 20 hours of gameplay for a first time through SMG. I highly doubt that is with a completionist take on the game. I know I'm a little slow on the uptake so it's no surprise that it took me a few hours to finally figure out that flying cloud platform level in Mario 64 to get all the red coins. And I spent a couple hours figuring out how to get that jump out of the half-pipe race to get a 14 second time. The discovery with Mario games can go on for years and years. I'm very interested to see how many things the developers will leave in that can be utilized for things like speed runs. 

Not really... Maybe if I were still 11 years old it may live up to the hype, but that was a long long time ago for me. No matter what someone says about this game, it won't encourage me to buy a Wii for this game.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

The factors that would define if it is or not (have already been mentioned, but reiterated)
1. It needs to be longer than Mario64/Sunshine
2. It needs to have quite a few hard levels (shouldn't be too worried about this one, since we have only seen the first few levels of the game that introduce the controls)

that is all

and for people worried about 1up, in their latest preview they wrote

"What we like: The bee suit is a welcome addition that hearkens back to the crazy animal-based power-ups from Super Mario 3. And we're banking on plenty of other possible suits as well; the bee power seems very specific to a certain set of honeycomb-themed spheres, and even the tiny glimpse we've been given of the game suggests a ton of diversity in the environments.

But most of all, we simply love the way the game feels. Many gamers are of the opinion that Super Mario Sunshine strayed too far from the fundamentals of the series by focusing so heavily on the water cannon/jet pack, but Galaxy puts the emphasis right back on jumping and stomping foes. The controls are tight and the graphics are crisp, if not exactly a dead ringer for top-of-the-line Xbox 360 visuals. And tiny references to games past are everywhere, from the usual coins, to Goombas of unusual size, to "?" blocks that appear as crystalline squares that can be kicked around the levels as weapons or stomped on to yield rewards.

What we dislike: Not much, actually -- Galaxy is unconventional, but it absolutely feels like Mario. The camera angles can be a little tricky, although that's by design. Still, we wouldn't mind having a little more direct control over how we see the game. And there really needs to be some way to get revenge on a second player who keeps screwing you up by freezing you in place while enemies are near or wasting your stars. (Besides a well-deserved punch to the face.) "

I don't think there is much to worry about there, gamespot however ....

jjseth said:
Not really... Maybe if I were still 11 years old it may live up to the hype, but that was a long long time ago for me. No matter what someone says about this game, it won't encourage me to buy a Wii for this game.

Answer me this: How can a game that you are not hyped for, not live up to the hype?

tabsina,

Very easy. It's hyped by the wii fans and those who are infatuated with Mario. However that hype fails to get me hyped up for the game.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

SMG looks to be trying to do for the series what SM64 did on N64, get a fresh perspective on the series and do something new with it (That game is still fun to play). The game looks awsome. You don't have to reinvent the wheel every gen, just do something new and exciting with it. Yeah "its just mario" but an icon is an icon, and when you do something that looks good and is fun to play then whats their to complain about. I just hope it doesnt end up being another Mario is Missing, man that game sucked!

And yet, you would be praising high heavens if a new Mr. T movie were to be announced. That or be pitied. Like a fool.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.