By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Super Mario Galaxy live up to the hype?

This game will be huge, especially for all of us hardcore Mario fans! It obviously has a ton of nostalgia, which is my favorite part about it, memorable music, great colors and graphics, and the fact that it is Mario! lol. I have it preordered and I cannot wait until it comes out! I hope that it has a Midnight launch.

Around the Network

i find it hard to forget the promise of mario sunshine and the utter disapointment when i read is wasnt to hot (although, its far from a bad game)

I hope its as good as i want it to be.

it will be fantastic, but living up to hype is one thing. In history few games, and in my mind only 1 game has lived up to that hype and thats Zelda OoT

there will always be people who review it low, its just that way, even Zelda OoT didnt get complete awsome scores

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Trust me, this will not be like Sunshine. I knew Sunshine would not be the greatest before it came out...you could just tell.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It will be better than Halo 3!

It will be better than Metal Gear Solid 4!!

It will be better then Final Fantasy 13!!!

Dare I say it, it will be better then SSBB!!! (sorry BenKenobi)

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

Few games ever live up to its hype.

Oddly enough, I didn't see much hype for NSMB, despite its craaaaaaazy sales.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

it's amazing how much hype there is for SMG even though Nintendo hasn't done any advertising for it, not in other parts besides Japan anyways (i think). Just shows how amazing this game looks =]

azzer100 said:
It will be better than Halo 3!

It will be better than Metal Gear Solid 4!!

It will be better then Final Fantasy 13!!!

Dare I say it, it will be better then SSBB!!! (sorry BenKenobi)

Err matter of opinion, to many it wont beat alot of those games, also to many it will

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
fkusumot said:
shams said:
This has to be the first time I know a game is my GOTY - and I haven't even played it (or seen it in real life action).

This will do for the Wii what NSMB did on the DS - only more so.

The only question is how much more.

1up has already said: "Tired retread of the Mario series. It appears Nintendo has run out of new ideas."

I made that 1up qoute up. 

what did 1up say this about? nsmb or smg?

its comments like this that really confuse me. take the gta's for example, correct me if im wrong but didnt all 3 of the ps2 games get very high marks all round. the second 2 were basically 'tired retreads' of gta3. as great as halo 3 is, that to is deep down just more of the same. im not saying that these games are overrated, im just saying that reviews these days seem very inconsistent.

in away i feel sorry for nintendo. they're dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. when they try something a bit different like mario sunshine it gets harsh press and if they dont they are criticised all the same. just recently the 1up review of zelda ds stated: 'this series is really beginning to wear itself out by using the same old conventions and game mechanics'.

metroid prime 3 (which im yet to play) has some of the weirdest reviews ive ever read. 9.5 from ign and 7 from edge. edge went as far to say that the controls are spot on and very new and innovating yet they gave it a 7 cos the first couple of hours are to action packed and not atmospheric enough. wtf? when did video games stop being about gameplay??

i hope smg doesnt suffer the same fate.

yes because although there alot of great wii games coming out, there are mainly only two big ones left this year: SSBB and Super mario galaxy. Mario's fame is high.