By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Dragon Age: Origins Official Hype thread

Slimebeast said:

Barozi can u guide me to those screens? They dont work now - 'no deep linking' ' forbidden' bla bla.

EDIT: found them. 'Vergleichsbilder' seems to mean comparison shots lol.

Interesting about this 'double Gothic' thing due to nameing rights (like Far Cry 2 vs Crysis, Operation Flashpoint vs Arma, F.E.A.R. vs canceled/merged Project Origin etc). Both look very similar. Both have nice looking environments.

That German PC site seems gold BTW, lots of info about European games that I havent seen elsewhere. But it's all in German. :/

damn hotlinking.....

Anyway the creators of Arcania should better call it "Gothic 4 - Arcania" or something. They are just killing sales....

Hehe if you have improved you're German a bit then you might also wanna check out gamestar.de (homepage of Germanys biggest PC gaming magazine)

Around the Network
Riachu said:
gergroy said:
Riachu said:
I want to be excited for it but there is something not right about the trailers. I want to play a new WRPG but there is something wrong with this game. I am not sure if either this or Alpha Protocol(bad name, good concept) are going to turn out any good. Sucks that the console version of The Witcher was cancelled.

i wouldn't be worried about this game.  It's Bioware, it's going to be amazing.  Also, as annoying as the narrator is on those gameplay videos, the gameplay still looks incredible.  I've read the prequel book and the setting is awesome.  The possibilities with this game are going to be insane :)

I had a bad experience with there previous game, Mass Effect.  The storytelling was great but the technical issues and frustating combat system was a turn off.  The PC version was a llittle better from what I played of it but my computer broke and had to get a new one.  I tried to play it again but the new computer had serious trouble running it.  That experience is kind of souring Dragon Age as well as BioWare in general.

I wouldn't say mass effects technical flaws impacted the gameplay at all.  Combat system might be frustrating at first before you have actually leveled up your character.  I can, however, apreciate the fact that you didn't like it, as no game is universally appealing.  But I don't think you should jump to conclusions on dragon age, as it is very different.  The only thing that seems similar is Biowares narrative style, which you seemed to like.

Riachu said:
gergroy said:
Riachu said:
I want to be excited for it but there is something not right about the trailers. I want to play a new WRPG but there is something wrong with this game. I am not sure if either this or Alpha Protocol(bad name, good concept) are going to turn out any good. Sucks that the console version of The Witcher was cancelled.

i wouldn't be worried about this game.  It's Bioware, it's going to be amazing.  Also, as annoying as the narrator is on those gameplay videos, the gameplay still looks incredible.  I've read the prequel book and the setting is awesome.  The possibilities with this game are going to be insane :)

I had a bad experience with there previous game, Mass Effect.  The storytelling was great but the technical issues and frustating combat system was a turn off.  The PC version was a llittle better from what I played of it but my computer broke and had to get a new one.  I tried to play it again but the new computer had serious trouble running it.  That experience is kind of souring Dragon Age as well as BioWare in general.

well, Mass Effect is more of a shooter RPG than an RPG with shooter elements, so I wouldn't take it as an example of Bioware games. after all, every other Bioware game is more like DA than Mass Effect and it runs on UE3 too, while Dragon Age runs on their own engine.

I hope the limited edition arrives here, EA brought Spore and The Sims 3, so I'm quite optimistic.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Riachu said:
gergroy said:
Riachu said:

I feel bad for you since the PC version was quiet abit superior, if it works I guess.

salaminizer said:
Riachu said:
gergroy said:
Riachu said:

well, Mass Effect is more of a shooter RPG than an RPG with shooter elements, so I wouldn't take it as an example of Bioware games. after all, every other Bioware game is more like DA than Mass Effect and it runs on UE3 too, while Dragon Age runs on their own engine.

I hope the limited edition arrives here, EA brought Spore and The Sims 3, so I'm quite optimistic.

exactly:)  Where do you live that you might not get the limited edition?

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:

Barozi can u guide me to those screens? They dont work now - 'no deep linking' ' forbidden' bla bla.

Interesting about this 'double Gothic' thing due to nameing rights (like Far Cry 2 vs Crysis, Operation Flashpoint vs Arma, F.E.A.R. vs canceled/merged Project Origin etc). Both look very similar. Both have nice looking environments.

That German PC site seems gold BTW, lots of info about European games that I havent seen elsewhere. But it's all in German. :/

damn hotlinking.....

Anyway the creators of Arcania should better call it "Gothic 4 - Arcania" or something. They are just killing sales....

Hehe if you have improved you're German a bit then you might also wanna check out gamestar.de (homepage of Germanys biggest PC gaming magazine)

aren't the gothic games suppose to be some of the glitchiest games ever made?

gergroy said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:

damn hotlinking.....

Hehe if you have improved you're German a bit then you might also wanna check out gamestar.de (homepage of Germanys biggest PC gaming magazin

I think only Gothic 3 was a glitchy game. But that's because their publisher forced Piranha Bytes to release the game even though they knew it wasn't finished. That's the reason why they split up.

Despite the bugs Gothic 3 received very well scores from German speaking websites/magazines and sold far more than 500k units.

In the meantime many patches were released and the game is perfect playable. (As it was already 6 months after release.....at least I never had a bug)

Barozi said:
gergroy said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:

damn hotlinking.....

Hehe if you have improved you're German a bit then you might also wanna check out gamestar.de (homepage of Germanys biggest PC gaming magazin

I think only Gothic 3 was a glitchy game. But that's because their publisher forced Piranha Bytes to release the game even though they knew it wasn't finished. That's the reason why they split up.

Despite the bugs Gothic 3 received very well scores from German speaking websites/magazines and sold far more than 500k units.

In the meantime many patches were released and the game is perfect playable. (As it was already 6 months after release.....at least I never had a bug)

that makes sense.  I haven't played them, but I think it was in game informer that were talking about how they changed the name to arcadia because of the bad rap the previous games got (at least here in america).

This game looks damn good!  I think it will almost be as good as Mass Effect.

As much as I love Bioware's stories and paths, I don't like the gameplay they use here. This hybrid real-time/turn-based doesn't appeal to me. Why do we have to pause every time, switch character, choose skill, push space to make time flow, wait that all characters have executed their actions, reapeat ? Either make it real turn-based to get rid of this tedious process or make it action-based with customizable strategy for the party. KotOR did it right by allowing to chain actions and set some basic strategy for each character at least. I hope Dragon Age has customizable strategies, because I don't want to pause time a number of times for each battle.

Any info besides gameplay and story/plot ? Is there any alchemy, synthesis, blacksmithing? Can characters upgrade to stronger classes later on i.e. by joining a guild and completing their quests?