By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SmashBros could it take the record from Halo3?

A question I have been wondering for a while is could SmashBros take on Halo3. SmashBros games in the past have been just as successful or in Smash64's case more successful then Halo's titles on average. This is because Smashbros has almost all of Nintendo's core demographics covered through the utalization of all of Nintendo's properties simultaneously.

So what enabled Microsoft to sell so many copies of Halo3 so quickly? Hype and Microsoft's superb marketing skills. Microsoft used their hype machine and started hyping Halo3 back at E3 last year and have been pushing it ever since. With press conferances regularily released trailers and massive ad campaigns having been carried out on a regular basis.

So could Nintendo match this success I believe it is very possible if Nintendo changes their strategy from one of secracy to one of publicity. Rather then simply releasing limited info on their SmashBros.com website Nintendo could hold a mini-conferance every week or two. Announcing a new character every week or two and hyping it up on TV and in store.

Releasing a demo edition for the press like next month would give Nintendo an opertunity to hype Brawl up beyond belief as all of the magazines would shift their attention over to Brawls hype. If Nintendo was to show off a ton of info on the online network with a playable online demo for press and unleashed a butt load of footage Brawl would gain an unstopable momentum.

Lastly the main ingrediant to Halo's success was pre-orders Nintendo could begin offering incentives for people who pre-order now months in advance. Essentially if Nintendo utalizes all of its press power, publically offers pre-order incentives and uses the Nintendo hype machine to its fullest as well as make large quantities of software availible day one could they over take or match Halo3's success. Keep in mind Brawl is releasing right before Christmas which should give it a major advantage boost in sales!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Half of it was just how much microsoft had hyped the game. It was just ridiculas, but bloody hell did it work!

Also SSBB is much bigger in Japan, so that should help it.

So while I dont think it will sell as fast, I do think overall it will sell more.

Slighty off topic (already :p) what interests me the most is weither or not SSBB will be bigger than Halo 3 online or not.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

I think it will be interesting to see how SSBB does opening week. I don't think it will reach Halo 3 highs but I do think it will get pretty close.

Also, you can bet Nintendo is going to market this one, though not nearly as much as Halo 3. We still have a few months until the game is released so we won't see any heavy advertising for a while.

As for the website, it's a great thing. You have the die hard fans that check it every day and then news sites like Kotaku comment on it every week. There's really no need to change how they're doing it.

the record for Halo 3 is most games sold in a day or a week or something isn't it?

So no it won't, SSBB will sell more copies, but it won't sell 2 million on the first day, not even if you add up the seperate 1st days for the three regions.

Snow flakes chance on satans ass of it even doing half of what Halo3 did.

Around the Network
Thanatos said:
Snow flakes chance on satans ass of it even doing half of what Halo3 did.

You simply dont know how big SmashBros realy is do you?

For a start, it will at least 10 times more than Halo 3 in Japan. At least!

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Smash Bros. Melee sold as a new game to roughly 1/3 of all Gamecube owners and there were also a lot of people who bought it used so it potentially was owned by nearly 50% of all Gamecube owners ... We have seen games like Mario Party 8 which are selling better than their Gamecube counterparts so it is plausable that Super Smash Bros. Brawl may surpass the sales of Melee.

The one thing I don't know about is whether it will sell at such a rapid rate as Halo 3 ... Smash Bros is released in the holiday season which both works for it (many people will buy it as a gift) and against it (many people will buy it over several weeks to give it as a gift).

Magic 8-ball says: Not likely.

It could happen, but it doesn't launch in "others" this year (I think) and I don't think it will have the crazy level of marketing hype. It's also going to be really interesting to see how the new gamer contingent reacts to it...Smash Bros. isn't the most complicated series, but it's not "casual" either.

Overall, it will outsell Halo 3, but I doubt it will do better in the first day/week/month.

Nintendo franchises are like a slow cooked meal. They take a while, but they usually sell (taste) better.

I don't think it will beat Halo 3's opening week sales record.

Are we comparing first week sales in the US alone, or first week sales world-wide? SSBB isn't receiving a simultaneous world-wide release, so comparing the later will cause a few problems. In the US alone, I don't think it stands a chance of beating Halo 3's first week record. World-wide, I still think Halo 3 will win, but by a smaller margin.