By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 3 can still win.

You mean will win, the only thing holding back the PS3 was its massive price. 399 seems to be really happening, its set to open a can of whoop ass on the competition.

Around the Network

It was said to be one of the greatest games of all time. To come out average when it was supposed to be AAAA is floppage.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

URNotE said:
Biggerboat said:

mitsuhide said:
1)If the PS3 was dead in the water it wouldn't be selling and Sony would be giving up (like SEGA).

2)If MGS4,Killzone2,GTAIV,FFXIII,LBP,Wardevil,GT5 etc etc are all AAA titles(which they will be)

1)It's debatable whether the PS3 is selling. It continues to flounder in Japan and the GBA is slowly creeping up on it in the US, not sure how it's doing here in Europe though I heard that a big chunk of it's install base is made up of launch units. You can't really compare Sony and Sega, the latter being almost insignificant in terms of size and financial clout. I'm pretty confident due to PS3, Sony has haemoraged multiple times the losses Sega ever did with DC.

2)I thought after the disappointments of Lair & Heavenly Sword people would be more cautious before deeming unproven games AAA before release, guess I was wrong.

1...actually the ps3 is still on the same track as the 360 in its lifecycle..... its selling below average in japan i admit.. the gap between it and the wii is closing as of recent which actually does mean somethin if you read between the lines......

2...I admint i was one of the people who hyped lair and heavenly sword... but why wouldnt I??? For what possible reason would i want  a game to Flop for a system i own???.. but when i think about it now why would those two games be AAA system sellers??? why???? No reason at all.. not even BioShock did that for the 360.... its very rare that a New IP becomes a system seller... Gears of War Did it.. but the timing was perfect for it.. which is why the timing is perfect for MGS4 Killzone GTA and all the other games named by the other guy... .. last time i checked none of those games were unproven exept Wardevil and LBP

1)The thing is though that devs don't care about what consoles are selling at respective times in their life cycles they care about what their install bases are now. If the PS3 doesn't start gaining on 360 why would any sane dev choose to exclusively put their game on that system? Wii has fallen away in Japan recently but I think this will be remedied by Mario Galaxy, it's much easier for a game to be a system seller when said system is cheap!

2)I specifically bolded the games which aren't established. Killzone is definately not proven as it's prequel was very ordinary. If KZ2 is considered AAA then so is Red Steel 2 and an abundance of other upcoming sequels which had less than stellar 1st installments.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Even at the $399 price point Wii will continue to outsell it because it has the casual market, appealing controller, Mario, and low price. If Sony drops the price of the PS3 Nintendo will drop the Wii's price. Sony isn't the only one who can cut prices.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Actually it was to supposed to be SS.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:
No, I'm pretty sure Killzone was an average game. Screw opinions of people. Some people think PS3's 2008 line-up is horrible. If we go by your logic, it is horrible.

ummm i didnt even say whether i liked the game or not so what are you talking about???

You must be A. having a convo with yourself..

B. Misunderstood when i said this is mine Or.

C.  already have a list of statements ready to apply for people who own a ps3

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

"To alot it was an average game... but to alot of other people it was one of the best games in the world...so thats just your opiniion just like this is mine... but theres no denying that this game has a huge following of fans...theres no denying it... not as big as halo but nevertheless...."

The professionals say it was average. People's opinions may be different, but it came out average.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

As we stand right now both 360 and PS3 share identical sale curves with Wii in clear advantage (according to vgchartz: http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1)

So, if you think the PS3 is dead then the 360 should have died 1 year ago :)

Now, if we believe in the PS3 price drop rumor, this alone should be enough for the PS3 to outsell the 360 breaking apart those pretty similar sales curves. With the price drop and a few good games I strongly believe the PS3 will take 2nd place by the end of 2008 (WW).

Now looking into 2009 and later... Wii is not "next gen" hardware, its a lot of fun but it will age faster than both the PS3 and the 360. So, how long do you think it can stay ahead? My guess is that in 6 months or so Wii sales curve will stall and it will eventually be passed by the PS3. Maybe it will stay ahead for the next 2 years but eventually the PS3 will win due to the 100+ million of PS2 owners waiting for a $200-$300 PS3.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Does it matter?

Till you get your most anticipated games?
i mean, by the end of 2008 there will be over 20 must play and must have games for me on ps3. it`s like around 1000$ and over 1000hours of gameplay.

If you people think, developers will stop making exlusives for ps3 or the game graphics will be only worse compared to x360, then you are really stupid.
PS3 FTW. It has everything, what is needed to be a winner.

But most important for me, in 2008 ps3 will have so many games which i wanna to play so much.

p.s. as xbox also was getting ps2 games, so and ps3 will get a lot of multiplatform games. But ps3 being more superrior to x360 (hdd, blu-ray, cell, free online) will get also a lot of exclusive 3rd party games like Heavy Rain or Rockstar Project. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

dtewi said:
"To alot it was an average game... but to alot of other people it was one of the best games in the world...so thats just your opiniion just like this is mine... but theres no denying that this game has a huge following of fans...theres no denying it... not as big as halo but nevertheless...."

The professionals say it was average. People's opinions may be different, but it came out average.

when i said this is mine...i was talking about my statement as a whole not... killzone is the best game in the world.. sorry for the confusion... i was just trying to give examples..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732