By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza 3

lestatdark said:
ironman said:

1. Dude, Have you not been reading? I want to play both games...unlike you. Turn ten has not talked any Bullshit...they are very proud that they have been able to do in less than half the time, and only three games, what it took PD to do in 5 plus games. No, it goes deeper than that I say, And you are playing right into their little ruise...but thats another topic. Oh, hey, you never answered my question btw.

2. Dude, did it not occure to you that a well tuned Lemans car could actually stick to the road like a Formula One (BTW what little of the video I watched was not that outrageouse) infact...they do. As for the catipulting between cars...see my comment towards lestat.

3. How does that even apply? You used "think" instead of know...but the way you are talking, it's quite obviouse that you "think" you know that GT5 is WAY better that Forza3, if you were reffering to past games, I would agree with you for the most part, but between the two new games...there will be no huge differance to the average consumer other than name brand,. and what console it is on. I want both games, I am not too blind to see that they will both be great. I want to get a PS3 just so I can play GT5 (I have a soft spot for good NASCAR racing), I can see that there will be very little differance between GT5 and Forza3. I don't really care about the minor shortcomings of either game save to shit on the faces of fanboys such as yourself. I am able to see that both games are going to be freaking awsome...how about you? My posting history in other threads...even in this thread shows that I am not a fanboy towards either game...you on the otherhand, can't seem to say anything reasonable.

@ Lestat, I can respect your opinion, you don't strike me as a blind fanboy since you seem to realize that both games will be awsome. I have never played the GT series, but, I want to play GT5. I started playing on an Xbox, and just recently got a 360. Now I was repeating something I have heard a lot, that a Noob can win by bouncing off cars, it seemed very plausable since I have played other games where that was true when damage was off. You don't strike me as a noob...so how could you play like one??? Anyway, I can concied that I am wrong on this point as well (giving you the benefit of the doubt)...but I guess I am a fanboy because I am able to admit where I am wrong.

I really don't think you've been having a Fanboy attitude, you're just trying to be neutral when it comes to both games as well as giving your personal insight, there's nothing wrong about that ;)

I know what you mean when lots of people say that you can win in GT by bouncing of walls, I've heard that a lot as well from a few friends of mine who just don't like GT because it's hard for them. In some city tracks that is actually possible if you have a car that's over 100 BHP over the other cars, because hitting the walls almost puts you to 0 Km/h, so you'll need to have a really strong aceleration to compensate. The downside of that strategy is that city tracks aren't that common in the game, there's like 7 in the whole game (14 if you count their reverse counterparts) and in 3 of them (6 as well) if you hit a wall you get a 5 second penalty in which you are stuck at 50 Km/h (because they are a part of the Special Conditions championship races, the rally version of GT4) that's pretty much a lost race if you keep hitting the wall. Also since there is a total of 96 tracks in the game (48 not counting reverse version) the % of you actually pulling that Hit-On-The-Wall-and-win strategy in the actual races is very very slim.

But I concede as well that it's really annoying to see people using that strategy, that's why I have been wanting for damage to be in GT since GT3 A-Spec released on the PS2, but Yamauchi once said, when GT Concept 2001 Tokyo was released, that they have  been wanting to put car damage on GT since GT2, but they didn't have the permission of the car manufacters to do so, since they use GT as a showcase for their cars. Maybe it was just an excuse at that time, but now, since it seems that GT5 will have damage (I still want more confirmation than just a trailer), GT can finally be played as it was meant to be.

Of course that won't deter people to use simpler playing modes with Damage off and all the assists on and still exploit the same old strategy, but at least, they will be at a bigger disavantage than they already are when they have a showdown with the Vets of GT ;)

I know you don't think so, you actually have a bit of sanity left. I wrote that last part for the benefit of Taz and his ilk...I probably should have made that a little clearer lol.

Anyway, I would assume that PD plans on doing what T10 is doing in that it will be impossible for anybody using default settings, with all the assista on, to win a lot of races since they want you to tune your car. That to mee, is the most fun, dialing in your car for the specific tracks, and then running it as best you can. I spent hours shaving seconds off my lap time by doing this in NASCAR 1999 back in the day. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

@ironman

That's actually how I play every racing sim, I fine tune every part that I can tending to the specifications of the track and the car that i'm driving, trying to see how much can I improve my times.

The game that actually made me see that it was the way to trully improve your driving skills in games was Grand Prix 2. To me it's still one of the best racing games ever, it was made by the legendary Geoff Crammond of MicroProse. It was a F1 game, which had over 200 parts that you could tune so you could get the best out of your car, at first it was completely overwhelming, but with time, you actually see that it helps you improve ;).

For both GT and Forza, I think that both PD and Turn 10 will try to make their games as broader as they can, giving a chance for the less skilled to get the hang of the game, but allowing the actual racing vets to get the most out of the whole experience

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Yeah, and TRUE FOOTBALL FANS will only buy PES even if they have to get a ps3, and even gt PES2010.

Same line, same argument, same bull.

Racing fans with one system will get the racer for their system they like the most. Multiplatform racing fans will get racers for any of their systems. 

That's how it works.

It can work, you just have to flip it around a bit: Anyone who doesn't buy GT5 is NOT a true racing fan

As for PES, that is actually considerably better than FIFA and any football fan (or anybody with anything resembling taste) will buy it over FIFA, but that's a topic for another day.

It doesn't work yet, because there's no reason as to why given how on the raw simulation side there are better options on PC.

LOL at your PES fandom, see that's pure brand intertwining at best... playstation, gran turismo, pro evolution soccer... euro stuff.

Not saying FIFA is any better, but PES is a joke. I have a friend that buys it every single year and I've played all versions quite a bit... the game's pure facade, everything's baked (animations, ball physics[actually there are no ball physics in PES, ball behaviour is baked in], AI) and thus very prone to exploits.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Yea, Im out of this thread.........since Im such a big fanboy.
I guess sitting on the fence is only accepted here, cause having a popular opinion and backing it up with solid points is obviously not.

@Bitmap Frogs

This is getting a bit Off Topic, but I'm just curious, why do you say that there isn't any ball physics in PES? Since it's actually the most valued point in the entire series and it's what it gives it an edge over FIFA. Also I would like to know those exploits that you are naming, since i've been a PES player since the ISS days of the SNES, and there hasn't been that many exploits in the latest editions of PES, when compared to previous versions.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Yeah, and TRUE FOOTBALL FANS will only buy PES even if they have to get a ps3, and even gt PES2010.

Same line, same argument, same bull.

Racing fans with one system will get the racer for their system they like the most. Multiplatform racing fans will get racers for any of their systems. 

That's how it works.

It can work, you just have to flip it around a bit: Anyone who doesn't buy GT5 is NOT a true racing fan

As for PES, that is actually considerably better than FIFA and any football fan (or anybody with anything resembling taste) will buy it over FIFA, but that's a topic for another day.

It doesn't work yet, because there's no reason as to why given how on the raw simulation side there are better options on PC.

LOL at your PES fandom, see that's pure brand intertwining at best... playstation, gran turismo, pro evolution soccer... euro stuff.

Not saying FIFA is any better, but PES is a joke. I have a friend that buys it every single year and I've played all versions quite a bit... the game's pure facade, everything's baked (animations, ball physics[actually there are no ball physics in PES, ball behaviour is baked in], AI) and thus very prone to exploits.

As I said, this is no time to discuss the suckiness of FIFA.

I will, however, say that FIFA feels robotic, unfinished, unpolished and basic, and it thinks it's so great with its "OFFICIAL LICENSES" and "AUTHENTIC HAIRSTYLES" and the like, while PES is far superior in terms of gameplay.

I will not comment on the Forza 3 vs. GT5 war, because I've never played a Forza OR a GT, and I hate racing sims, but I will say that GT5 will sell more, because it's a much bigger brand name, regardless of which game is better.

Also, PlayStation, Gran Turismo and PES are all Japanese, not European.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Seriously whats the point of this? Its as obvious as night and day which will sell more and you already know that, you're only trying to piss people off.

Kantor said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

As I said, this is no time to discuss the suckiness of FIFA.

I will, however, say that FIFA feels robotic, unfinished, unpolished and basic, and it thinks it's so great with its "OFFICIAL LICENSES" and "AUTHENTIC HAIRSTYLES" and the like, while PES is far superior in terms of gameplay.

I will not comment on the Forza 3 vs. GT5 war, because I've never played a Forza OR a GT, and I hate racing sims, but I will say that GT5 will sell more, because it's a much bigger brand name, regardless of which game is better.

Also, PlayStation, Gran Turismo and PES are all Japanese, not European.

FIFA might feel like that, but PES is a borefest since everything's pre-baked so given enough play you can predict everything the AI and the ball will do which eventually leads to exploit-based play. That's not being far superior in terms of gameplay. It's being sucky, which is precisely what PES is, albeit for different reasons. But hey, if you are happy with doing 5 seconds of gameplay to get the ball to the other side of the field to exploit the AI and score a goal 5 seconds later as long as the coin drops the right way, the more power to you.

Gosh, learn2read. The heavy intertwining of these three brands is strong in Europe. Nowhere it's implied they are euro-developed games. But kudos to you, apparently you were trying sooo hard to find a flaw in the post you had to missread it to find one.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@Bitmap Frogs

I don't know if you blatantly ignored my post or if you didn't read it, but you strike me as the kind of person who doesn't know anything about PES. Tell me one thing, the few times you've played PES, was with a team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, M.U, with the A.I in the average difficulty, am I right?
Do yourself a favor, next time you play PES, do it on Top Player difficulty, on the Master League, with the Default Players in your team, those are players that average 75 on stats, which are far from good, using only manual pass (you do know there is a manual pass on PES do you not?). Then come back and tell me that the AI is predictable, and that you can score at every 5 seconds, hell, it will be a good experience for you if you aren't suffering a goal each 5 seconds.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
@Bitmap Frogs

I don't know if you blatantly ignored my post or if you didn't read it, but you strike me as the kind of person who doesn't know anything about PES. Tell me one thing, the few times you've played PES, was with a team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, M.U, with the A.I in the average difficulty, am I right?
Do yourself a favor, next time you play PES, do it on Top Player difficulty, on the Master League, with the Default Players in your team, those are players that average 75 on stats, which are far from good, using only manual pass (you do know there is a manual pass on PES do you not?). Then come back and tell me that the AI is predictable, and that you can score at every 5 seconds, hell, it will be a good experience for you if you aren't suffering a goal each 5 seconds.

I've played (and watched playing) a shitton of PES since one of my friends is an absolute fan that buys it every year and no matter what the difficulty level the game's utterly exploitable since everything's pre-baked.

And by the way, I preferred the older, slower PES to the newer seizure-inducing no middle-play editions.