By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: 24 months, 25 million sellers

HappySqurriel said:

I have to ask why anyone would bring up a Turok game at all ... The series has become so awful over the years that it should NEVER be talked about again.

The last Killzone sucked it up hardcore, but people are still talking about the new one. All the gameplay footage I've seen from Turok makes it look like its turning over a new leaf. Check out the stealth attack game videos on Xbox LIVE... it looks great.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I have to ask why anyone would bring up a Turok game at all ... The series has become so awful over the years that it should NEVER be talked about again.

I never understood why people liked that game in the 1st place. It just never appealed to me, but then again neither has Metal Gear Solid. Although I can see why people like Metal Gear Solid.

On Topic

With Ninja Gaiden I can see the MSMM (Microsoft Marketing Machine) building that game up heavy. As we learned with Halo and Gears hype = sales. Also with the new Core aka Xbox360 Arcade I think MS may really be going after some of the casuals. Therefore I think they may give Scene It a nice hype push as well. It could still flop though. It happened to Viva Pinata... :(

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I think they will be crazy to not offer an "easier" mode in Ninja Gaiden II. The simple fact that it is so hard will sell a LOT of copies to hardcore folks, but NONE to casuals like me that just want to pick up and play and get frustrated. If they don't offer an "easy" mode, sales will suffer.... With the cost of next gen titles I think they will... I guess we'll see.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Goddbless said:
HappySqurriel said:

I never understood why people liked that game in the 1st place. It just never appealed to me, but then again neither has Metal Gear Solid. Although I can see why people like Metal Gear Solid.

On Topic

With Ninja Gaiden I can see the MSMM (Microsoft Marketing Machine) building that game up heavy. As we learned with Halo and Gears hype = sales. Also with the new Core aka Xbox360 Arcade I think MS may really be going after some of the casuals. Therefore I think they may give Scene It a nice hype push as well. It could still flop though. It happened to Viva Pinata... :(

The thing I don't understand about Scene It is why aren't they including Xbox LIVE play? The success of Catan and Carcassone must have made MS realize that former board games on LIVE will be an excellent seller. Part of the reason I don't play Scene It now is because when I have friends over, we go out -- we don't play trivia together. Being able to play against random people over LIVE would solve the very real problem of people not having others to play against.

With this much software sold, MS Games (or whatever that division is called) may turn a profit sooner than later. Plus even if the Wii sells more hardware, but the 360 sells the most software, the 360 can still call a major victory.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I would put Banjo 3 in the million seller list.

You know what Microsoft really needs to do is help with the advertising on some third party games. Like everyone says hype = sales and it is soooo true. There are many great games that bomb cause people don't know about them and there are many shitty games that explode because they are everywhere in the public eye.

I dont know how much it costs to make a 360 game but I honestly believe that if you put the same amount of money into marketing and advertising that you do into development (ie. $20 mill to make the game, then $20 mill to advertise it) even moderate games (7.0 reviews) should sell like hotcakes and everyone should make some money off them.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

Adam540 said:
You know what Microsoft really needs to do is help with the advertising on some third party games. Like everyone says hype = sales and it is soooo true. There are many great games that bomb cause people don't know about them and there are many shitty games that explode because they are everywhere in the public eye.

I dont know how much it costs to make a 360 game but I honestly believe that if you put the same amount of money into marketing and advertising that you do into development (ie. $20 mill to make the game, then $20 mill to advertise it) even moderate games (7.0 reviews) should sell like hotcakes and everyone should make some money off them.

Microsoft has been doing that. For one thing, they paid for the marketing for the 360 version of Guitar Hero II.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

One thing is very true as mentioned above... You have to bet that 3rd party companies are looking at the number of Million Sellers on the 360 and thinking that they need some of that action... With the cost of some of these next gen games, I suspect 1 million copies is what it takes to get a decent ROI...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Adam540 said:

These numbers put Microsoft in the driver's seat. Game companies will want to come to them to release games, instead of MS courting developers to work for their platform. Advertising or not, something is clearly working in terms of software for the Xbox.