By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google is set to launch an PC OS

If it's Linux-based, then doesn't that mean that it must remain free? Which means that Google will try and get the revenues elsewhere?

But where?

Around the Network

Advertising, monitoring usage habits (and selling that info) and Google merchandise like t shirts and coffee mugs.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

This is the best thing ever. A little competition from Google and now MS is removing that stupid 3 app restriction from Windows 7 lite? I doubt I would use a Google OS in the near future, but I am already reaping the rewards from MS. The 3 app restriction probably cost MS a ton of revenue.

The Cloud computing initiatives are the bigger threat to MS with companies like Google chipping away at the Office suite. Also, Netbooks are probably appropriate for 75% of all home users (pulled the number from thin air).

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

SamuelRSmith said:
If it's Linux-based, then doesn't that mean that it must remain free? Which means that Google will try and get the revenues elsewhere?

But where?

Since you're speaking of revenues, I assume you meant free as "at no cost", not free as in "free speech". That said, you can sell Linux and derived software for money according to its license. But you're obligated by the same license to also release the source code to any buyer.

An always online OS will likely gather revenue through the ads placed in the web applications, though.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

dbot said:
This is the best thing ever. A little competition from Google and now MS is removing that stupid 3 app restriction from Windows 7 lite? I doubt I would use a Google OS in the near future, but I am already reaping the rewards from MS. The 3 app restriction probably cost MS a ton of revenue.

The Cloud computing initiatives are the bigger threat to MS with companies like Google chipping away at the Office suite. Also, Netbooks are probably appropriate for 75% of all home users (pulled the number from thin air).

Cloud computing is gonna give Google OS users lots of things for free. MS are in trouble.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

cool, for some time i wanted sell my pc and pick up a netbook cause i'm only using my fatass pc for lurking on the internet for news, store data and use MS Office for my work and studies. if Chrome will be fully compatible with MS Office files and i will find netbook that would work with my printer and with D-Sub for my LCD monitor(for my parents and other people if they would need to use it) for less than 500$ i would get it for x-mas if i could get some decent $$$ out of my pc. if not i will probably get one with Windows XP.

imo google is biting off more than it can chew

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

well i like google so if they release an OS i'll probably give it at least a look-see on my personal computer.

the work computer on the other hand is firmly entrenched in MS and I don't see that changing any time soon.

famousringo said:
This might finally be the big push Linux needs to go mainstream. I think I'd be willing to try a Chrome-based netbook.

Man I sure hope so...Linux is like an EX that no matter how much she may have disappointed you in the pass you still have a secret place in your heart for her...

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

So we will have the choice between a reckless, data mining company and a data mining, reckless company.