By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google is set to launch an PC OS

Apparently, this announcement was to head off a big announcement MS has for Monday.

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Laptops-PCs/Did-Google-announce-Chrome-OS-fearing-Microsofts_3164.html

Will it be Gazelle or Office Web?

Around the Network

If this was done to counter a big announce by M$ on monday...it was a stupid move by Google!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Windows 7 will do better.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I am sure that I am not alone in that I experience the internet through google. I hardly use the address bar because searching google is so much more efficient that the search engine most sites have.

If this can play my videos and music let me browse photos I don't really need windows. I haven't wanted it since 2000 but was too intimidated by what I'd heard of Linux and never enjoyed using Mac OS much. Guess I need to try Chrome.

Aion said:
Windows 7 will do better.

It's going to do AWESOME...alot of corporate IT and givernment agencies skipped Vista...but they won't for 7, so I expect some pretty stunning sales figures, when compared to Vista.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Around the Network

Competition is great for all of us.

sguy78 said:
Competition is great for all of us.

I think competition is good, but Google is entering into a crowded marketplace, with Intel also trying to launch a low cost OS, Moblin, for netbooks and the like.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-google-chrome-partners,8226.html

"TG Daily today reports that an Intel representative has confirmed the company collaborated with Google on the project. Not only that, but the Intel-insider also said that the company is happy about Chrome."

Ultimately, I think all of this OS work is great, but M$ is going to sqush ALOT of it with Windows 7, just like Intel did with Core Duo and beyond.  Once Corporate and Governments start turning over to Windows 7, the CBA for msot seeking to make an impact in this space will skrink...this is alot like airline...their best CBA points to first/busines class. 

Asking a genuine question to which I don't understand the answer:Why must corporations or governments turn to windows 7? They skipped Vista why can't they skip this?

nitekrawler1285 said:
Asking a genuine question to which I don't understand the answer:Why must corporations or governments turn to windows 7? They skipped Vista why can't they skip this?

The government isn't...ans I'll leave it at that.  As for corporations...some could stick with XP, but in asking that question, you have to ask, WHY are they still not using Windows 98?

Yep, it was free Office 2010 over the web with cloud services offered.

Is this a bad idea to take away possible sales for the desktop suite? Or is it a good idea because the will be able to tie in MS's other cloud services and Bing? Maybe implemented in Silverlight so adoption of that will increase?