By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google is set to launch an PC OS

Google and Sony should ally now and put this new OS on the PS3, since you already can install Linux anyway.

It would be a huge blow to MS and the 360.

Around the Network
shio said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think I would use a Google OS, not immediately at least. Google's privacy practices are very bad. I don't know if this will be the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Google OS constantly sends information about what I'm doing on the computer to Google, for targeted ads or whatever.

What you're saying is pretty much what every single major website does. Amazon for example takes information of what products you have visited, and then recommends you products based on that.

Also, there's no company as "evil" as Microsft, which absolutely abuses their monopoly status and illegaly makes pressure on the retailers just to stab rival companies. On a 1 to 10 scale of "evilness", Google is a 4/10, while Microsoft is a 10/10.

What does this have to do with websites? I'm talking about potentially everything you do with your computer. I also said so clearly in my post, so I don't know why I have to repeat it.

Regarding evil companies... yeah Microsoft is evil, but privacy-wise they're better than Google. Most of Microsoft's evil actions have little to no effect on me, certainly not in a privacy-invading way.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

disolitude said:
shio said:
NJ5 said:
I don't think I would use a Google OS, not immediately at least. Google's privacy practices are very bad. I don't know if this will be the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Google OS constantly sends information about what I'm doing on the computer to Google, for targeted ads or whatever.

What you're saying is pretty much what every single major website does. Amazon for example takes information of what products you have visited, and then recommends you products based on that.

Also, there's no company as "evil" as Microsft, which absolutely abuses their monopoly status and illegaly makes pressure on the retailers just to stab rival companies. On a 1 to 10 scale of "evilness", Google is a 4/10, while Microsoft is a 10/10.

Wow...you are completely full of it.

I work with Google...infact its right across the street and we play rockband at lunch sometime(on a 360).

Also I work with Microsoft who are great. Both companies employ smart and hard working people. Again, the point here is that you are full of it and don't know what you're talking about at all.

wow, listen to yourself. Microsoft has a HUGE negative rapsheet and have done so many dirty deeds that it's nearly unlimited. That is a known fact, and the fact that you base your opinion of Microsoft on the characters of just a few people you know that work there is silly. They may be hard-working and smart, but is irrelevant because unless those people are all the honchos at MS your statement has no credibility. And even if you know Gates, Palmer, etc.. anyone, no matter how virtuous he is, is able to the most horrendous action, especially if he thinks he won't get caught.

If you want a sample of how "honest" Microsoft is, then look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

And what I talked earlier, it's called Behavioral Targeting, I would know because I wrote a paper about it for college. So maybe you should do some research

NJ5 said:
shio said:
NJ5 said:

What does this have to do with websites? I'm talking about potentially everything you do with your computer. I also said so clearly in my post, so I don't know why I have to repeat it.

Regarding evil companies... yeah Microsoft is evil, but privacy-wise they're better than Google. Most of Microsoft's evil actions have little to no effect on me, certainly not in a privacy-invading way.

What is this Google "privacy abuse" you peak of? I have no idea what you mean then.

Considering the price reduction of the soon to be Google OS base netbooks, the Google OS might stand a chance against Windows in the portable market. The netbook market will be a great Trojan for the Google OS into MS territory. People are burned over Vista and because of that I don't see "7" doing anything major for MS, the competition is welcomed and it is about time.

Sony should consider launching a cheaper model netbook with the Google OS when it hits the market next year or even put it in every PS3..... nahhhh what am I talking about? Sony will never make an affordable netbook, kinda funny if you think about it.

Around the Network
shio said:
disolitude said:
shio said:
NJ5 said:

Wow...you are completely full of it.

I work with Google...infact its right across the street and we play rockband at lunch sometime(on a 360).

Also I work with Microsoft who are great. Both companies employ smart and hard working people. Again, the point here is that you are full of it and don't know what you're talking about at all.

wow, listen to yourself. Microsoft has a HUGE negative rapsheet and have done so many dirty deeds that it's nearly unlimited. That is a known fact, and the fact that you base your opinion of Microsoft on the characters of just a few people you know that work there is silly. They may be hard-working and smart, but is irrelevant because unless those people are all the honchos at MS your statement has no credibility. And even if you know Gates, Palmer, etc.. anyone, no matter how virtuous he is, is able to the most horrendous action, especially if he thinks he won't get caught.

If you want a sample of how "honest" Microsoft is, then look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

And what I talked earlier, it's called Behavioral Targeting, I would know because I wrote a paper about it for college. So maybe you should do some research

lol...you list about microsoft criticism yet have absolutely have no idea of Google business practises.

Behavioral targeting is cookie based and works on the principal of - user clicked on BMW banner A...lets show him BMW banner B... This is notcriticism of google as everyone does it.

Google owns the largest ad server in the busines called Dart doubleclick and they also own the most used website analytic tool called google analytcs. Therefore they know exactly howmuch microsoft is charging for thier search and yahoo charging for their display ads. They have the info right there in Dart.

Also they know how much traffic any site that uses google analytics has...

Now tell me if anyone that kows how online advertising works wouldn't have a problem with this. Also what is this called...I believe a monopoly. Even worse monopoly than MS in OS department...who can't even include IE in their Windows OS's anymore in Europe.

Tony_Parker said:
Google and Sony should ally now and put this new OS on the PS3, since you already can install Linux anyway.

It would be a huge blow to MS and the 360.

great! then sony will even more confident  to increase their prices! great!

To anybody talking about possible evil practices by Google: the link states explicitly that the project is open-source.

That means that the code can be audited by any private individual or official organization interested in doing so. There won't be any stealth activity, something that can't be said of the computer of the majority of people today.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:

To anybody talking about possible evil practices by Google: the link states explicitly that the project is open-source.

That means that the code can be audited by any private individual or official organization interested in doing so. There won't be any stealth activity, something that can't be said of the computer of the majority of people today.

I don't think anyone here is saying they will boycott the Google OS because google are evil. I for one, am just saying that both MS and Google play dirty and have very smart people running the show. Hence let them play it out and let us benefit.

I don't like people spreading propaganda of one company being evil when its obvious the evil road goes both ways...

I always thought Linux would get bigger at some point. I guess thats not going to happen.

Oh and MS are evil. Google is cool, but you can't trust any of them. Guess how much money they make off tracking and monitoring browsing information, a shit ton.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.