By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hates America, PSP-200 is without S-Video for joo

hunter_alien said:

Hmmm ... you have a point there ... I dont know why ... just because its possible IMO ... on the other hand , I would like to play PSP games on the big screen , but movies I would rather watch on a regular DVD player ... I only watch PSP movies in my bed , when I dont want to disturb nobody ...

Well, had I owned one, I'd much more likely use it to watch movies when I go on holidays. Hook it up to the hotel's TV or whatever and you're set. That's how I use my video iPod, anyway. I don't think I've ever watched anything longer than a trailer on the little thing's screen.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
Morgyn said:
Who the hell uses S-Video, no one. That's why its not included.

Hands up who connects their Wii, 360 or PS3 via S-Video rather than Composite/Component?

OK... look about 5 posts back from yours.

@routsounmanman: I would much rather have the ability to play PSP games on a big screen than watch UMD movies on a big screen.  I already have a DVD player and I won't be re-buying any movies; as far as games, not all PSP games are ports of PS2 games, and maybe I'd like to play them on a 27" screen instead of a 4" screen.  I have the Game Boy Player connected to my Gamecube for the same reason.  Metroid Fusion is way better on a TV than a GBA.

KruzeS said:
hunter_alien said:

Hmmm ... you have a point there ... I dont know why ... just because its possible IMO ... on the other hand , I would like to play PSP games on the big screen , but movies I would rather watch on a regular DVD player ... I only watch PSP movies in my bed , when I dont want to disturb nobody ...

Well, had I owned one, I'd much more likely use it to watch movies when I go on holidays. Hook it up to the hotel's TV or whatever and you're set. That's how I use my video iPod, anyway. I don't think I've ever watched anything longer than a trailer on the little thing's screen.

Well the PSP has a batter screen IMO , and I would allways watch movies on it , and not on a TV ... games are a different issue ... simply because I want to play CoO and CC on the big screen :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

Well the PSP has a batter screen IMO , and I would allways watch movies on it , and not on a TV ... games are a different issue ... simply because I want to play CoO and CC on the big screen :D

I don't usually travel alone. 

Who uses S-Video?!? Component is the standard now, even then HDMI is taking over.

Around the Network
W29 said:
Who uses S-Video?!? Component is the standard now, even then HDMI is taking over.

Congratulations on being the third person in this thread to ask the same question that has already been answered at least twice.

Game_boy said:
What's the cable that plugs into three coloured slots in my TV, and if it's no on the list how many points does it get? What I mean is, would I see any difference with Wii + SD Widescreen TV by changing cables?

If the colored slots are Yellow, Red, and White, that's Composite. Yellow carries the video signal, and Red/White carries stereo sound (or Dolby Pro Logic II). If the slots are Green, Red, and Blue, it's Component. Green carries the Luminance signal (brightness) and Red/Blue carries two axes of Chrominance (color).

S-Video does something similar to Component, separating the signal into Luminance and Chrominance, and it sends the signals over different wires inside the cable. The separation of the signals eliminates crosstalk and produces a much clearer picture. Component allows even better separation than S-Video, but the difference isn't very noticeable on an SDTV. If you're going HD, you've got to use Component or HDMI. If you have an SDTV, S-Video is the cable of choice.

The answer to your question is, if you are currently using Composite, yes, you will definitely notice a difference by upgrading your cables. The difference is even noticeable on a SNES. S-Video cables weren't even around when the SNES was released, but the N64 and Gamecube S-Video cables are backwards compatible, and my SNES games have never looked so good. :)

EDIT: That point scale that I made up is just that, something I made up.  It's my (very subjective) take on the quality of each connection to my own 27" Toshiba SDTV.

Entroper said:
W29 said:

Congratulations on being the third person in this thread to ask the same question that has already been answered at least twice.

Thanks Woot Woot!!!!

KruzeS said:
hunter_alien said:

I don't usually travel alone.

So the point is ....

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said: So the point is ....

The point is, if I go on holiday with my girlfriend, and want to stay in one night to watch a movie with her, it's not going to be on a 11cm screen. Even more so if one or more of our friends, of which we often bring many, join in. Are you really suggesting a bunch of people should watch a movie toghether on the PSP's screen because it's better?

Anyway, I already have my iPod for that, no need for a PSP. But, for me, there's much more value in playing movies "portably" on a TV, than games. Games, I play alone (or on 2+ WiFi connected DSs). I'm not criticizing your usage, if that's unclear, I'm offering my perspective. OK?