By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hates America, PSP-200 is without S-Video for joo

Source:  http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/920B4F8A-2BC3-4F52-B7CF-6BE9AB808070.htm

Sony Won’t Bring PSP Slim S-Video Cables To U.S.

hile they’re available in Japan and elsewhere, Sony has decided not to offer S-video cables for its new PSP Slim handheld in North America. Why not? A company representative told us that they wanted to streamline their selection, giving owners a choice between cables supporting composite, “the de facto standard,” and component inputs, which are now available on the majority of new televisions. Those S-video lovers among you all will have to take a stand. Either way, it’ll set you back $19.99—for once, picking the deluxe option won’t cost more. Unlike the first version of the PSP, the revised PSP Slim is capable of outputting video signals to compatible televisions, letting users watch media on larger displays. The PSP Slim can output game video on televisions, too, but only through the component cable. (The system’s output is in a progressive-scan mode, which other cables don’t support.) Additionally, the PSP Slim is less bulky and lighter than the original and is more battery efficient.

Around the Network

Seriously ... who would buy a cable that cannot support gameplay-out ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

*raises hand*

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Ehh. Who really uses S-video anymore, anyway?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

ssj12 said:
hunter_alien said:

*raises hand*

Well , Im sorry for you than ... youl still have import as a chice :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

The majority of the public who doesn't have an HD set 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I wasn't aware that S-Video was any good. I thought it was like...between composite and component...aka who cares.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I wasn't aware that S-Video was any good. I thought it was like...between composite and component...aka who cares.

Let me put it this way.

RF = 10 points
Composite = 100 points
S-Video = 190 points
Component = 200 points

On a TV without progressive scan support (99% of all SDTVs), there is very little, if any, discernible difference between S-Video and Component. S-Video cables are notably cheaper and give you just as good a picture, and a far better picture than Composite, I might add. All three of my game systems, my SNES, my PS2, and my Wii, are all connected through an S-Video switch to my TV.

I really liked the TV-out feature of the PSP Slim. It's a shame I'll have to settle for a crappy Composite picture if I ever hook it up to my TV.

EDIT: Err, apparently, not at all, since it only outputs games over Component?  That's just silly. 

sieanr said:
Garcian Smith said:

The majority of the public who doesn't have an HD set

If you don't have an HD set, then there's not much point to using the video-out feature in the first place. The PSP Slim outputs in standard widescreen, as I recall, so on older TV sets you'll be playing letterboxed games. The main appeal is that the Slim can output in 480p widescreen - something which us HDTV owners will benefit greatly from.

Aside from that, hasn't component-in been standard on even lower-end CRTs for years now? I bought a little $100 flatscreen CRT about a year back, and even that had component-in.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

What's the cable that plugs into three coloured slots in my TV, and if it's no on the list how many points does it get? What I mean is, would I see any difference with Wii + SD Widescreen TV by changing cables?

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.