By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS3 going to finish in a distant third place" says analyst

@Pristine : no MS can't, the 360 is already basically free right now, the 'sweet spot' was already reached for the 360, any subsequent price cut would have little effect now, anybody who wants a 360 already has one now.

When Sony cuts the price, I see no reason the situation doesn't go back to what it was before MS price cut last september, with the PS3 outselling the 360 every week worldwide.

Around the Network
rodrz34 said:
@Pristine : no MS can't, the 360 is already basically free right now, the 'sweet spot' was already reached for the 360, any subsequent price cut would have little effect now, anybody who wants a 360 already has one now.

When Sony cuts the price, I see no reason the situation doesn't go back to what it was before MS price cut last september, with the PS3 outselling the 360 every week worldwide.

Not necessarily although I do agree that a ps3 price cut would have a larger effect than a 360 one. However, if the ps3 is still losing money per console sold then every new ps3 purchaser would have to buy a ton of games for the price cut to be worth it for sony. So sure the ps3 may outsell the 360 for a few weeks till the price cut wears out but I don't think it's worth the losses and it will never be enough to come close to even catching the 360 so why bother?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

^wow soriku posted something that is not related to JRPGs :) /jokes

@Pristine : PS3 is already nearly profitable, Sony will be able to cut the price and go on top soon without losing much, don't worry for them.

rodrz34 said:
@Pristine : PS3 is already nearly profitable, Sony will be able to cut the price and go on top soon without losing much, don't worry for them.

frankly, I hope for a price cut myself and even more for a slim console with better heat management and durability because I need to buy a new ps3 myself. I'm just looking at the chances f such things happening based on the few facts we have.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Rodrz: I'm sick and tired of people like you. Ps3 won't close the 30 million gap between the wii just because it gets a price cut... Don't be a fool.

Ps: You said on top which means first place. It will also not close the 8 million gap between the xbox360 for the record.

Whether its a distant third or not its still gonna be 3rd.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think ultimately, the 360 will finish third, at least is Sony cuts the PS3 price, which they will do.

Frappz said:
I think ultimately, the 360 will finish third, at least is Sony cuts the PS3 price, which they will do.

Nah, I think the reality is that the PS3 price cut will have little affect, especially by the time it arrives and at only a $50 cut.  The PS3 will ultimately end up third where it began.

LoL, some folks have some lofty expectations for what a price ccut will do for the PS3.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.