By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sept. Wii software vs PS3 software

--OkeyDokey-- said:
this thread is ridiculous.
the fact is, your paying ten dollars for wii play. it should be counted.
why dont you count the total software sold for both consoles thus far to get your attach rate, instead of just one month.

i could easily just cherry pick the week halo 3 came out and use it to say the 360 sells 3 million units of software every week. that would make as much sense as what the TC posted.

listen to the wise and handsome OkeyDokey.

QFT

Around the Network

doing what OkeyDokey said we get the following attach rates

wii PS3
overall 4.36 4.19
w/o sports/play 2.88
w/o sports 3.36

so essentially each Wii owner has as many games as a PS3 owner, except Wii sports is replacing that one game that is typically bought when the system is originally purchased.

of course, once brawl and Galaxy come out, we'll have to re-do this analysis and see how all 3 categories for the Wii skyrocketed.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Very disappointing, considering Nintendo's higher fanbase and higher number of games. Nintendo has to do something, but then again, Nintendo has always been about profits for Nintendo, and not for developers. I can't really see the Big N giving two ****s about developers.

mr-money said:

Very disappointing, considering Nintendo's higher fanbase and higher number of games. Nintendo has to do something, but then again, Nintendo has always been about profits for Nintendo, and not for developers. I can't really see the Big N giving two ****s about developers.

yeah right. and Sony and MS are the mother theresa of the gaming world. They do give them 3rd parties a proper loving.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

mr-money said:

Very disappointing, considering Microsoft's mountains of money and higher number of games. Microsoft has to do something, but then again, Microsoft has always been about profits for Microsoft, and not for developers. I can't really see the M$ giving two ****s about developers.

Fixed.

Around the Network
mr-money said:

Very disappointing, considering Sony's lower fanbase and lower number of games. Sony has to do something, but then again, Sony has always been about pushing formats for Sony, and not for developers. I can't really see the Big S giving two ****s about developers.

Fixed mo betta.

superchunk said:
Without going into details about how one did over the other while narrowing down the playing field for one competitor.

How many million+ sellers does Wii have?
8. 2 of which are third party.

How many million+ sellers does PS3 have?
2. 0 of which are third party.

4x the million sellers (3x if you remove the accursed two) and only 2.5x the userbase. I think the Wii is clearly the best software seller. Now if only 3rd parties would step up to plate and dish out software that actually compares to 1st party stuff.

Which has the most games available now?
Wii, but a lot.

Which has the most games coming out this fall?
Wii, buy a lot. I proved this in this thread.
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6863

Which is following the same pattern of all past gen leaders?
Wii.

This too me is the most important information. 

As far as attach rates, I always assumed that a system with a small adoption rate had been purchased by the most hardcore of the fanbase. Ergo those who would buy more games drive the attach rate way up only for it to come down a little as it reaches mass appeal. Just look at the 360 in Japan. Great attach rate, not strongly adopted. 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

usuing this logic you guys are using you got to change our all time best seller list, the new champ MINESWEEPER! its software and who cares how it got it my house!!

You dont include wii sports or wii play when you are trying to judge the interest in the userbase in actually buying games. Wii play = buying a controller. Most charts qualify games as greater then $20, and wii play = $40 controller + $10 game. Comparing the sales of a $10 game vs $60 Heavenly Sword is just stupid.

Is everyone ready to hail Minesweeper as the best selling game of all time???

dgm6780 said:
usuing this logic you guys are using you got to change our all time best seller list, the new champ MINESWEEPER! its software and who cares how it got it my house!!

You dont include wii sports or wii play when you are trying to judge the interest in the userbase in actually buying games. Wii play = buying a controller. Most charts qualify games as greater then $20, and wii play = $40 controller + $10 game. Comparing the sales of a $10 game vs $60 Heavenly Sword is just stupid.

Is everyone ready to hail Minesweeper as the best selling game of all time???

Using this logic we shouldn't include Eye of Judgement sales because people are buying it for the Eyetoy.

Or Warhawk because it includes the BT headset. 

we cant forget solitaire, hearts, freecell and pinball. all of which have sold more then SMB. So we have a new top 5 all time selling games.

Concerning Wii Play - Counting the $10 that pays for the game makes about as much sense as giving World of Warcraft a new sale every month for every account that pays $13 a month to keep playing!!! They paid for the software, count it as a sale!!!