By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sept. Wii software vs PS3 software

tarheel91 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I saw your point about Motorstorm, but it's only just started being bundled and the sales of the 80 gig are near irrelevant.

Also, Wii Play should be included, Wii Sports shouldn't be but will continue to be.

He's only considering September sales, so it is rellevant. If he's including it, how can he NOT include Wii Sports? How in the world can one pack-in be okay and one pack-in not be okay.

Ah, good point, I missed that.

Well, it's almost nit picking. The sales of the PS3 are low, and the 80 gig even lower, so it's almost seems fair to include Motorstorm. Whereas if the Wii is selling tons and Wii Sports is bundled with every system, all of a sudden it's unfair.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
count wii play but not wii sports and you got a a userbase double the ps3 moving more software. Expected.

This seems like a reasonable compromise (I'd actually be for counting half of each total, but that yields nearly identical figures).

Here's a simple question to anyone who thinks it's logical to discount both Wii Sports and Wii Play entirely: one of my friends bought a Wii about 3 months ago, and got Wii Play with it. He had those two games exclusively for about 2 months, until he bought Metroid Prime. He played about 5-10 hours a week, and was quite satisfied with those two games, usually bowling and tanks (from Wii Play).

According to your logic, my friend had an attach rate of zero. For two months. Despite playing the system regularly. And that makes no sense, whatsover. I could go over to my friends house, and play on his Wii, with his Wii games, despite his (supposedly) zero attach rate. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I get to use my sig so often. I'm not sure to be happy or sad.

I not even going to address some of the irrational claims, but you are right that, unsurprisingly, the hardcore PS3 owners buy more games than casual Wii owners. But so what?

First of all, there's more high quality titles on PS3 than on Wii right now.

2-What AAA 3rd party games are even on the Wii? RE4 which sells well. That's it. Okay, Madden maybe and I admit that's disappointing #'s on Wii

3-Supposedly 1/3 of Wii owners are girls. There's very little for them to buy yet. MySims is the first game in a long while. A lot more games are coming that they'll like, but don't except incredible first week sales from the ladies.

4- There's a hell or a lot more profit for developers in casual games than in PS3 games. Casual games are a lot, and I mean a LOT lower cost to develop, so require substancially lower sales to be profittable. Unfortunately, many excellent PS3 games are likely to be money losers because of the small base and high costs. So, who do you think developers are going to develop games for? Wii and the proven 360 with PS3 getting a lot of ports.

5- Wii is still outselling the PS3 more than 3-1, without either having much in the way of games. That's a fad? Go figure.

6 - both systems are in their first year with poor software line-ups that are typical to first years
(remember everyone bitching about 360's last year? Look at it now) Next year will be much more telling when both should have solid games line-ups and a library of back games.

7 - I wish the PS3 was selling better too, the PS2 rocked totally, but if it doesn't get momentum soon, like early 08 at the latest, it will follow the N64 path. But it can still be an awesome system irregardless.

MontanaHatchet said:
tarheel91 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I saw your point about Motorstorm, but it's only just started being bundled and the sales of the 80 gig are near irrelevant.

Also, Wii Play should be included, Wii Sports shouldn't be but will continue to be.

He's only considering September sales, so it is rellevant. If he's including it, how can he NOT include Wii Sports? How in the world can one pack-in be okay and one pack-in not be okay.

Ah, good point, I missed that.

Well, it's almost nit picking. The sales of the PS3 are low, and the 80 gig even lower, so it's almost seems fair to include Motorstorm. Whereas if the Wii is selling tons and Wii Sports is bundled with every system, all of a sudden it's unfair.

Oh, so you're saying that because the PS3 isn't doing as well, we should give it a handicap?  That's not how it works.  You don't forbid the better team from using their first string in a football game simply because the other team sucks and you want to make it more interesting.  Removing a console's strengths because it's owning another console makes no logical sense.

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
Let's see. Wii software killed PS3 software in September when several of PS3's largest games this year came out and only one major title for Wii came out. It makes perfect sense, the Wii is doomed! Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna go to Gamestop and trade in my Wii and all of the games for a $400 PS3 that doesn't even play PS2 games.

Reading your post fast, I thought wow, This post converted someone.

If it wasnt for the word "even" when you say   "$400 PS3 that doesn't even play PS2" - it is hard to pick up the sarcasm. It isn't that crazy of a thought to trade in your wii for the $400 PS3 you know

Despite the slight inaccuracies in the initial post, I was still very surprised by the results- very intersting.

Reguarding the loss of PS2 compatability in the $400 model-  There are alternating perspectives you can take here:

1) Who doesnt already own a PS2?, if you dont -sony will probably lower the price of it to $100 soon, so you could easily pick one up.

2) It does suck though because the PS3 bumps up the graphics of PS2 games, can easily stretch many games to widescreen, and is convenient to have it all in one system. 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Well how does releasing titles like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the first year help sales in the long run, unless Nintendo plans to release these titles every year like Mario Party, and thats the last thing you want to see. Granted in 08 Nintendo will have Wii Fit, but will that have the same success as Wii sports? I don't think so.

@FreeTalkLive rocks
A PS2 can play PS2 games, right? So I think the consumer (who probably has a PS2) could care less if the new PS3 is not backwards compatible.

I'll take the case!!!

Great post and topic dgm6780, i loved every word of it and all the wii fans crying :)

Don't underestimate the power of Animal Crossing and Pikmin, Mr. Birdman. We Nintendo fans love us some franchises and those two are certainly tops right now.

GranTurismo said:
Great post and topic dgm6780, i loved every word of it and all the wii fans crying :)

Don't become a fanboy. You were doing well for a bit