Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve: PS3 Orange Box Players "Got the Stepchild Version"

crumas2 said:
dahuman said:

They make games that require a lot of actions and keys, a game pad isn't enough, aka they make more complex games suited for PC, console games are usually a lot more dumped down, and lately PC games are suffering in depth and tech advantages because of the multi-plat too. I'm glad they are sticking to PC only so they don't get held back on those aspects, hmmmm, sounds awful a lot like the HD consoles vs Wii situation all of a sudden, only the Wii has the controls to win more people over apparently .

I would have agreed with you on the bolded statement a year ago.  After playing Halo Wars, however, I began to understand that a controller was enough IF the right company was able to re-think how a controller could be used with an RTS game.  I've sent thousands of hours on PC/Mac based RTS games, and Halo Wars felt more intuitive and natural with a controller than those games did with mouse and keyboard.  I guess RTS creators just couldn't think outside the box enough until recently.

Personally, I believe World of Warcraft *could* be done well on a 360 or PS3, but that Blizzard simply doesn't need to worry about the incremental money they would gain from porting/supporting on consoles, not to mention the increased costs of doing so.

and somebody in Korea does 600 actions per minute with every move making sense in the SC2 beta atm, you can't do that with Halo Wars, you are gimped by the controls hence making it more console casual friendly( and WoW is as causal as it can get as a PC game lawl,) just like the FPS, the TPS, the WRPG on consoles, basically all western games. In a competing environment which a lot of the PC games are centered around, game pads are ass. World of Warcraft is all about key binding, macros, reaction times and the tons of spells you have to use to counter many things in pvp with every millisecond counting, or sometimes pve, it'd be a gimper game on consoles. They don't care about the money since they are rich to start with, they are free to do what they want instead of having to bring a lesser experience which is against their ideals as game makers, that's why they are one of the top devs in the gaming industry.

Around the Network

It's funny because heres another source on valve.. this posted like what 2 days ago or something:

Lombardi: Valve is still 'up on the idea' of PS3 development
http://www.psu.com/Lombardi--Valve-is-still-up-on-the-idea-of-PS3-development-News--a007691-p0.php

Valve Corporation’s Doug Lombardi has stated that the company is still very much "up on the idea" of developing for Sony’s PlayStation 3 console, though noted the firm must first rack up a dedicated team of coders to work on the system.

Speaking to Joystiq in London this week, Lombardi commented, "If you look at The Orange Box -- PC: 96 on Metacritic, 360: 96 on Metacritic, PS3 like... 84 or something. That's not even close to where we are right now with the 360 and PC and the reason is people."

He added that "we have to get people under our roof who are dedicated, talented PS3 guys and then all bets are off. We can take the same sort of strides and get the quality out of the box and offer the same support post-launch on that platform, as well."

Quizzed on whether Valve was in the process of scouting out new talent, Lombardi concluded: "Valve is always looking to hire people. So yeah, definitely."

Let us know your thoughts on Valve in the comments section below.

I concidered making a thread called something along the lines of "valve wants to make sweet love with the ps3" but realised I couldn't be arsed to put that much effort into spreading the word. :p

Check out my game about moles ^

when I wake up i think about what Valve said...oh no wait. fuck valve and its primitive looking games

ps-button said:
when I wake up i think about what Valve said...oh no wait. fuck valve and its primitive looking games

graphics isn't everything, that's why KZ2 isn't the end of all FPS on consoles, we've already covered that ground too.

They haven't got any of my money since Half-Life. I would've bought Left 4 Dead for my PS3 if it existed, since I'm not much into PC gaming anymore these days, except for Civ4 and some WoW every 4 months or so.

Around the Network
tedsteriscool said:
Valve loses a lot of respect in my eyes. At least their PC versions are good.

AGAIN, Valve did not do the port to PS3, blame EA CHRIST

They only did the xbox 360 version which came out good (minus tf2 updates)

This lis like a broken record

Argh. This is not a good thread to see when visiting the site for the first in ages. -_-

Look, Valve is not a very large company. They have a limited amount of resources, and after putting the numbers together, decided to not support the PS3. It's not stupid or lazy to not avoid unprofitable investments. If they could manage PC+360+PS3 multiplats with their resource AND it'd be worth it, then of course they'd do it. Valve is a company, which means they're in it for the money.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with half the people in this thread? Are the mods being too easy on the banhammer again?

dahuman said:
ps-button said:

graphics isn't everything, that's why KZ2 isn't the end of all FPS on consoles, we've already covered that ground too.

Yeah? untill you play KZ2 and all of the sudden every game on 360 looks extra regular. Why are you talking about KZ2 again and again ? do you want one ? go get it...stop crying about it

ps-button said:
dahuman said:
ps-button said:

Yeah? untill you play KZ2 and all of the sudden every game on 360 looks extra regular. Why are you talking about KZ2 again and again ? do you want one ? go get it...stop crying about it

And then I play HL2 again and realize HL2 is still one of the best FPS games ever made, period. And there are a ton of reasons for this too and it isn't jsut because of the graphics (which are amazing).

The story is very deep with a ton of background that spans a time period of over 40 years. Half the story you don't even get to see but you hear what happened and have to figure out what you, and the G Man, caused.

Character development is another strength of the franchise. Each character is uniquely different and has their own personality.

The physics in the game are perfect.

Enemy AI is actually very well done. One of the smartest AIs found the in genre.

So before you start saying KZ2 is better then everything on the 360 stop and realize Half-Life 2 is on the platform and eats KZ2 for breakfast.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
I hate valve.

Heaven forbid they don't make a games for the precious PS3.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press