By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK GfK Chart-Track Hardware Installed Bases through June 27

BKK2 said:
Reply get!
I specifically asked Chart Track if the 360, Wii and DS figures reported by GamesIndustry.biz were correct:

Originally Posted by Chart Track:
Dear Gareth,

These figures are as published by GfK Chart-Track and concern the total UK retail hardware markets.

Regards,

Dorian

That's Dorian Bloch, Business Group Director.

Link

Also the software figures corroborate the correctness of the GAME figures released several days ago:

The number of home and portable gaming consoles in the UK now stands at 24m - which ELSPA says is 'around the same number as there are UK households'.

They took these numbers directly from Chart-Track and not the GAME report, so we have two different organizations obtaining the same numbers.

source

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
lombard2578 said:
haxxiy said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
lombard2578 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

So: it is adjustments-time!

even with roundings... the Xbox360 sold at least 550,000 units and the Wii 349,999 units. Thats still quite a gap. But ioi told us that those numbers were wrong?

Same error as a lot of body.

360 sold at least 501,000 and the wii 399000 at maximum (between februrary and june).

LTD number have the precision +/-50k, yes, but number for a period have the precision +/-100k. Except for the DSI because, it's really between 251,000 and 349,000.

If Wii sold 399000 wouldn't it round up to 400k?

Even worse, he's also suggesting 501k would  round up to 600k.

I am math teacher, so i can explain you (i take the wii):

if februray number is rounded to 5,1m, it can be 5,050,500 in reality

If june number is rounded to 5,4m , it can be 5,449,500 in reality

So between february and june, it can really be 399,000.

End of the proof.

I'm not even going to bother.

ioi said:
Potentially, but adjustments could be over 3 years

The Wii drop is certainly a recent phenomenon, only a few months old, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be so bullish in their End-of-Year projection for 2009-2010. The 360 on the other hand probably dates all the way back to the last price cut.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

ioi said:
Potentially, but adjustments could be over 3 years

Why not.

Just a remark, chart track is supposed to track 90% of the UK market. So it's certainly the better tracker in the world, so how can it be possible they make so big mistake to estimate the 10% they don't track. I think particulary to the DSI which was preliminary tracked at 100k during its first week and then at 92k.

If with the coverage they really track, they had obtain 90k sales, they could have extrapolate to 100k for the entire UK market, and so they have primary estimate to 10k the sales they don't know. But with their adjustement next, they give 92k, and so they change the 10k by 2k (or it's absolutely not that!!!!). It's enormous i find.

What do you think about that?

Edit: it's certainly not that, because, it's 103,000 and not 100,000, as i thought remember:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dsi-sells-9-000-in-two-days

Update: Chart-Track has now revised its figures for the DSi launch, down from 103,000 to 92,000 units.

This is all very exciting and am looking forward to the clarification.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
ioi said:

Anyone who thinks 360 has outsold DS in the last 5 months in the UK is delusional.

Common sense tells me that 600k Xbox360 vs 400k DS vs 300k Wii isn't correct.

Exactly what I have been saying when I saw those numbers.  I don't see anyway the 360 could be outselling the DS and anyway PS3 could be selling as much as Wii.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

ioi said:

Sure, there is no denying that Wii has dropped off a lot (more than we have it dropping off in Europe) but it is the apparent Xbox360 "boost" and poor DS sales that are most illogical in these figures...

Offficial GfK numbers from France put Xbox 360 up 50% YoY through May, official GfK numbers but Xbox 360 at up 127% through March in Switzerland. In Japan Xbox 360 numbers are up over 200% YoY, I really don't see anything illogical about the UK Xbox 360 numbers. When you take rounding in to account these figures are well inside what we have seen in other countries.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52214&page=1

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=78344

To be fair about the DS:

Since GfK rounds, and they are tracking TWO DS properties, it does not mean that the Xbox 360 beat the DS 2:1. For all we know, both DSes sold closer to 400,000 but were rounded down.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I know this is irelivent but i went into my local Game on saturday and had a quick chat with the manager. He told me that they had actually not sold a PS3 in a week while the 360 had been doing a lot better then the Wii of late. He informed me that the PS3 sales had dropped severely a month ago and to try and combat that Game had now put together a new bundle. He said it was a bundle with a 80GB PS3 and 4 games, being Ghostbusters,Infamous,Fight Night 4 and Call of Duty 4 Game of The Year Edition, he did not say a price but said around £300. For three brand new games and a game that is possibly the best on any format this generation that is pretty amazing. So i think from what he said if it really is true that he had not sold a PS3 in a week then these numbers could actually be on the right path. Guess we will see.

@hruken

so did he not sell a single wii either?

otherwise your "conclusion" is weird

as PSWii are tied in UK according to these numbers

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey