By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Confirmation on $399 PS3 (link inside with pictures)

darthdevidem said:
@jjseth

OMG

WHAT A HORRIBLE SECRET

NEXT 2 WEEKS PS3 GONNA SELL CRAP, cus people KNOW price drop is coming

Sure, sales may go down a small bit, but there are many who are not as obsessed with gaming like we are.  They would have no idea about the drop in the consoles price, or they really do want a 60gb version and know that it's basically close to the end before they are sold out and gone.

But I think that sales will truly pick up once this happens.  I don't see Sony "announcing" the price until a day or two prior to the system being released.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

I dunno. While anything Sony does to increase sells has got to be a good thing at this point. Do you guys think this is the 'magic bullet' or is it 'too little, too late?'
Even at $399.00 I don't think they can catch the 360 (which has the best games line-up this Christmas), let alone the still much cheaper Wii.

isn't going to help that the ps3 version of ut3 is delayed til 08.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Lingyis said:
it makes sense. like i've been saying for about a month now. basically, sony's backed into a corner.

what i don't get is why so many sony fanboys (none in this thread), a month ago, actually thought a $399 40Gb PS3 would be bad. that was the one time i realized that fanboys ignore reason and logic, for real.

should be the first real contribution of Kaz. of course, it also makes it likely that kaz won't last more than a couple years; you can bet in his analysis and presentation to sony manageent that he was much more bullish with the sales potential of the PS3 than it really would be even with a $399 ps3, and there is no way it will reach the sales he projected. in other words, his division will continue to lose tons of money, if not even more now, and he'll be responsible for the financial hemmorrhage.

or maybe ps3 manufacturing prices really have come down $200 in the past year; even then they'll still be losing $200 on a $400 machine. sayanora Kaz, we hardly knew ya. oh, did i say it was a gamble? the downside is truly scary this time around. if it only increases sales to a 40,000/wk baseline, like with the $499 60Gb ps3, i'll have real concerns for SCE--they could be running out of ammunition and faith from upper management.

back to ps3 sales. will it have an impact? certainly not enough to pass 360 in the US; the 360, by now, is firmly established as the US gaming machine, and a $399 ps3 isn't gonna change that. and i think a $399 40Gb ps3 is exactly a 40,000 baseline US sales gaming machine with its current library of games.

this generation is shaping up EXACTLY the way nintendo has envisioned. Sony and Microsoft gets drawn out in a war of attrition, and while 6 months ago i thought both makers would survive to 8th gen, the likelihood one of them doesn't make it next gen has increased, in my mind.

now we'll find out how Microsoft pushes back. this battle between ps3 and 360 is gonna be so darn fascinating. neither side stands to win. Yep, there would have been no way nintendo could survive a fight between these 2 titans. Even if the Wii isn't selling as well as it is, say it's only selling the level of ps3 right now, it's still the right direction for Nintendo.
 Why is SCE hemmorrhaging money?  Because of Blu-Ray.  Sony did this to SCE in an effort to win the format war.  It's working, and I'm sure they'll forgive Kaz a few billion in losses because of it.  Ken, however, I can see why they let him go.  Under him the ps3 saw delay after delay.  If the ps3 had launched in Spring '06 like it was supposed to, the format war would've been long over by now.

By next summer Sony will be paying people $50 to take a PS3.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
it makes sense. like i've been saying for about a month now. basically, sony's backed into a corner.

what i don't get is why so many sony fanboys (none in this thread), a month ago, actually thought a $399 40Gb PS3 would be bad. that was the one time i realized that fanboys ignore reason and logic, for real.

should be the first real contribution of Kaz. of course, it also makes it likely that kaz won't last more than a couple years; you can bet in his analysis and presentation to sony manageent that he was much more bullish with the sales potential of the PS3 than it really would be even with a $399 ps3, and there is no way it will reach the sales he projected. in other words, his division will continue to lose tons of money, if not even more now, and he'll be responsible for the financial hemmorrhage.

or maybe ps3 manufacturing prices really have come down $200 in the past year; even then they'll still be losing $200 on a $400 machine. sayanora Kaz, we hardly knew ya. oh, did i say it was a gamble? the downside is truly scary this time around. if it only increases sales to a 40,000/wk baseline, like with the $499 60Gb ps3, i'll have real concerns for SCE--they could be running out of ammunition and faith from upper management.

back to ps3 sales. will it have an impact? certainly not enough to pass 360 in the US; the 360, by now, is firmly established as the US gaming machine, and a $399 ps3 isn't gonna change that. and i think a $399 40Gb ps3 is exactly a 40,000 baseline US sales gaming machine with its current library of games.

this generation is shaping up EXACTLY the way nintendo has envisioned. Sony and Microsoft gets drawn out in a war of attrition, and while 6 months ago i thought both makers would survive to 8th gen, the likelihood one of them doesn't make it next gen has increased, in my mind.

now we'll find out how Microsoft pushes back. this battle between ps3 and 360 is gonna be so darn fascinating. neither side stands to win. Yep, there would have been no way nintendo could survive a fight between these 2 titans. Even if the Wii isn't selling as well as it is, say it's only selling the level of ps3 right now, it's still the right direction for Nintendo.

Becaue you know everything you know better then the people working at the top in the industry.

LOL opinion as fact.

Engelos said:

Becaue you know everything you know better then the people working at the top in the industry.

LOL opinion as fact.

One doesn't need to know more or be wiser than an industry's leaders.

One need only be wiser than the poster they are debating with.

@sinha

typical over the top trolling

@Everyone

THEY NEED SOFTWARE

Ok $399 will get them upt for lets say 4 weeks n maybe Price cut buzz will make a stellar xmas

But if We get FANTASTIC titles then impact will be huge

e.g

Ps3 Price cut BUNDLED with GT 5 would've seen a mega huge impact

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

wow that would have taken all of what 5 minutes in illustrator, really whay not an ad page, generaly they are at press within the next week. i will be convinced when i see a scan or better a picture of a stack of ads with one zoomed in on top.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Finally. Sony needs to be competitive, and this should help them considerably.

Engelos, are you against a 400 PS3? Why, do you want the system to get killed this christmas?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"