By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Confirmation on $399 PS3 (link inside with pictures)

dtewi said:
This is the October 12th announcment. Sony can never keep secrets.

Supposedly Sony is making 3 major announcements on October 12th.

Around the Network
dtewi said:
This is the October 12th announcment. Sony can never keep secrets.

Supposedly Sony is making 3 major announcements on October 12th.

the only thing this rumored price drop makes me think, is that at this rate if i wait till next Christmas, i should be able to get one for ~$250 or less. so go Sony, keep dropping that price maybe i'll adventually have that cool Blu-ray player that i've wanted that also plays games

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Although Sony may be losing money with this, I believe it's better for them to do this than take the risk of being completely blown out by 360 and Wii if they do have completely massive sales this holiday season. Sony must keep the price cut buzz all the way up until 2008 when their big games come out or they will be in a very deep hole.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

Well, I did call up a buddy of mine who works for BB and he gave me a series of "holy Sh&*" over and over which confirms this rumor to me. There are UPC numbers (Which the UPC site does confirm that it's registered to SCEA and the 40GB PS3 http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.asp?upc=711719800606 ) as well as the internal BB tracking number.

Looks legit to me.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

@jjseth

OMG

WHAT A HORRIBLE SECRET

NEXT 2 WEEKS PS3 GONNA SELL CRAP, cus people KNOW price drop is coming

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

darthdevidem: Does not matter PS3 sales are already crap.

darthdevidem said:
@jjseth

OMG

WHAT A HORRIBLE SECRET

NEXT 2 WEEKS PS3 GONNA SELL CRAP, cus people KNOW price drop is coming

How many people besides hardcore gamers like us?

it makes sense. like i've been saying for about a month now. basically, sony's backed into a corner.

what i don't get is why so many sony fanboys (none in this thread), a month ago, actually thought a $399 40Gb PS3 would be bad. that was the one time i realized that fanboys ignore reason and logic, for real.

should be the first real contribution of Kaz. of course, it also makes it likely that kaz won't last more than a couple years; you can bet in his analysis and presentation to sony manageent that he was much more bullish with the sales potential of the PS3 than it really would be even with a $399 ps3, and there is no way it will reach the sales he projected. in other words, his division will continue to lose tons of money, if not even more now, and he'll be responsible for the financial hemmorrhage.

or maybe ps3 manufacturing prices really have come down $200 in the past year; even then they'll still be losing $200 on a $400 machine. sayanora Kaz, we hardly knew ya. oh, did i say it was a gamble? the downside is truly scary this time around. if it only increases sales to a 40,000/wk baseline, like with the $499 60Gb ps3, i'll have real concerns for SCE--they could be running out of ammunition and faith from upper management.

back to ps3 sales. will it have an impact? certainly not enough to pass 360 in the US; the 360, by now, is firmly established as the US gaming machine, and a $399 ps3 isn't gonna change that. and i think a $399 40Gb ps3 is exactly a 40,000 baseline US sales gaming machine with its current library of games.

this generation is shaping up EXACTLY the way nintendo has envisioned. Sony and Microsoft gets drawn out in a war of attrition, and while 6 months ago i thought both makers would survive to 8th gen, the likelihood one of them doesn't make it next gen has increased, in my mind.

now we'll find out how Microsoft pushes back. this battle between ps3 and 360 is gonna be so darn fascinating. neither side stands to win. Yep, there would have been no way nintendo could survive a fight between these 2 titans. Even if the Wii isn't selling as well as it is, say it's only selling the level of ps3 right now, it's still the right direction for Nintendo.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis, a month ago I didn't say this would be a bad thing. If anything I said it would be good for Sony, but I didn't really believe that the price would actually be that until my buddy confirmed that with me when I saw this article.

And at the time of the "clearance" of the 60gb, Sony was quoted as saying that production costs had dropped to the point at that time of breaking even. (So basically it was close to a wash, but only a small loss.) With the removal of some parts, and production costs continually dropping, they can still offer a $399 version while only losing a small amount and not the $200+ like you incorrectly assume without any concrete proof of this.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.