By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stop Bashing Halo 3's Graphics

Halo 3 looks greats but it's textures arent HD. Bungie didnt make a bad looking game but didnt make an insanely high quality game either. Like Zero Punctuation said "Its average"

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
Sinha can you get some actual in-game pics to make your point, you know the kind that actually have the HUD.

I don't doubt the game looks good but its really silly to point to pics that could have been pre-rendered (and some/a lot of these are) to show how good the game looks. There are plenty of good shots with the HUD and there is no question about how those were rendered.

Sqrl don't let not knowing what the hell you're talking about keep you from stating your uninformed opinion.

Obviously you've never played Halo 3 or you'd know you can watch videos of all your games and take photos. Actually, you don't even have to have played it, just read a freaking review or something, I'm sure almost every one mentions the videos and pics.

Those shots are all (not "the majority" as someone else said, but ALL) taken by Halo 3 players, in game, and then posted online. The HUD doesn't show up because... why the hell would you want the HUD to show up??

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

I should have expected the "omg kill him" response. So let me say this again.

If you look at my post I said clearly that "I don't doubt the game looks good". And I don't doubt that the game can produce graphics on that level. Thats not what I was saying at all. You assumed that I was trying to infer that those showed detail beyond what it was capable of.

When the reality is I am saying if you get pictures WITH the HUD nobody can doubt the legitimacy of the pictures. Its been standard in video games for a long time to pass off pics of pre-render as in-game, so in general its better to show the pics with the HUD so its blatantly obvious and you cut people off before they get started. Even one or two pics just for reference would be probably be plenty.

So breathe a deep breath and settle down. Just because I didn't know about theater mode doesn't mean I hate Halo and want to bash the game. The reason I asked for "in-game" shots is because I assumed the pics were in-engine cutscenes. This is pretty much the same thing as in-game but minus the HUD where as pre-render is way beyond what the engine can handle etc. If you read what I said I think you will see where I was coming from.

PS - Never claimed to have played the game, but thanks for being rude about it just the same. I'm sure you have always been 100% correct about everything, and you would surely appreciate someone jumping down your throat for a minor missunderstanding when you don't even disagree with them in the first place.

Edit: I just grabbed these from 1up

http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=0&mt=0&cId=3144308&mId=3401894

http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=0&mt=0&cId=3144308&mId=3401892

http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=0&mt=0&cId=3144308&mId=3401882

But the last one looks like it might be multiplayer. So there might be better shots elsewhere.

To Each Man, Responsibility

BTW I just re-read what you said, and if I am reading you correctly you play through the game and you can come back later and watch it from any angle and pause and play right? Just want to make sure I have that correct.

Saying no HUD means the pics "could" have been pre-rendered is fine, but then you went on to say that "some/a lot of these are" which is false (that's why I bolded it). None of these are pre-rendered, they're all pics taken by gamers and posted on the internet.

Wikipedia:

Halo 3 has a feature called Saved Films. This feature allows players to save a copy of the game data of a multiplayer match or campaign session to their Xbox 360's hard drive, so that they may watch it later on.

Players are able to view the action from almost any angle and any player's perspective (including a free-roaming camera), as well as being able to slow down the speed and also play the recording in reverse. The Saved Films can even be edited in game to create a shorter clip of a particularly amazing or special moment. Players can also use the tool to take still pictures from films and upload them to the Bungie website.

As the Saved Films are only the game data (not an actual video), this allows the file sizes to be relatively small. A recording for a typical "long" game is in the region of only 6 MB. Films are also be played back at whatever resolution the Xbox 360 is set to, regardless of the resolution at which the player was using at the time of the recording. All games are recreated in real-time on the Xbox 360 using the Halo 3 engine. This allows them to be shared amongst any other Xbox 360 without any compatibility issues because they all run off the same code. The Saved Films feature is described as an "excellent training aid" since players can gain valuable tactical insight into the strategies of other players by viewing the saved films. Alternatively, they could have a look at other games uploaded through the fileshare.

This feature will also facilitate the creation of machinima and other game-related videos, as well as give the creators of such videos advanced tools to enhance the quality of this medium. Video game montage creators can save games to the hard drive of their Xbox 360 console for later use, so they never have to miss a camera shot, while machinima directors and cinematographers will have expanded camera options, instead of having to resort to using a first-person, gameplay perspective.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Yup sounds like it works exactly like I thought. Which means its actually being re-rendered, which by itself is enough to give folks a (bad) reason to doubt them.

Like I said, I am familiar with the hardware and don't doubt what its capable of but the reason I said some of them were pre-rendered is the angles they were done at. While I was wrong that they were pre-rendered I was correct that they were not in-game. The theater mode is not in-game, but its being rendered almost certainly in either the exact same way or a very similar fashion.

My original point still stands in light of the way theater mode works, and that point was that having some shots with the HUD provides a basis for people to see undeniably what it looks like in-game while being played. That was the entire point of my original post and even though I may have not had all of the information you still way overreacted to it. Especially considering the point I was trying to make was in support of your point, and not opposed.

If I get something wrong I want someone to correct me, by all means please do. I am happy to learn something new, but I don't think I need to be talked down to and insulted just for not knowing about a feature in a game when my point wasn't really based on that to begin with.

Halo 3 was really unimpressive graphically from the two hours of gameplay I saw, It remembered me of Halo2 a lot.... Gears of War and Eternal Sonata look WAY better in my opinion, but thats just my opinion...

This is the one complaint I have about Halo 3. It could have looked alot better, but instead one of the worst looking 360 games to date that I've played, except maybe Perfect Dark Zero. There wasn't too much of an excuse not to work harder in this department.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

IllegalPaladin said:
Leave Halo 3 ALONE!

It's going through a rough time! It's loved by many. . . It's causing some problems to some people's 360's.

All you people care about is bashing all the other systems while promoting yours!

LEAVE IT ALONE

Dont worry. It's like this.

Halo is Star Wars.

Star Wars has massive cult following.

Star Wars is regarded as the pinnacle of films.

Star Wars also has people hating just because it's awesome.

Halo is exactly the same but for Gaming.

SALES SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.

halo SHOULD have looked better for a 1st party MS effort...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man