By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 more than 2 to 1 worldwide

The Xbox 360 sold 138,000 approx as opposed to the PS3's 66,000 approx. The Wii is still way out in front with 197,000 approx (all numbers according to VGChartz). This is all for the week prior to the release of Halo 3. 

How long do people believe the 360 can stay so comprehensively ahead of the PS3 on a global scale?

I think it could maintain double the PS3's sales until the end of October when it appears that the cheaper, dummed-down PS3 will arrive (at which point the 2:1 ratio will abruptly stop).

For those that post in the next few hours, do you believe the 360 can triple or even quadruple the PS3's sales in Halo 3 week? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

For those that post in the next few hours, do you believe the 360 can triple or  even quadruple the PS3's sales in Halo 3 week? 

Quadruple of course. The first Halo 3 week will see more than 250,000 X360s sold world-wide.

I think quadruple is probably a done deal for two reasons... Increased 360 sales from Halo 3 AND reduced PS3 sales in anticipation of a price cut...

It will be interesting to see how well the $399 PS3 sells... That was the launch price of the 360 and it did do well, but didn't set the world on fire, either... Also interesting is what, exactly, will be in the 40 gig version. Wifi is in it according to the FCC dox. The card slots are probably gone... The only other thing I can think of is no backward compatibility but that would be suicide because PS2 owners would have to keep their ps2... I have a feeling they are just going to drop the 80 to $499 when the 60s are gone and the 40 will be 399 with wifi and no card readers. The $100 delta would be the bigger drive plus card readers...

I do believe the 360 is going to have a very, very solid holiday season and move a lot of units... With the cut, the PS3 will do so as well. If they end up with a virtual 4Q sales tie, that would still leave the PS3 with well over 6 million to go to catch up...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

i think xbox360 will sell 200k world wide
in the week of halo relesed

I say quadruple and disagree that the 360 will stop doubling the 360 WW just because of the new PS3. Games available far out weight the new PS3. Shouldn't be long before we see which is the case.

Around the Network

I think a 40gig PS3 with no backwards compatibility would be ridiculous. Its meant to be $700AU here in Australian, and I would buy it at $500 if it played PS2 games. But lets be honest, both the 360 and the PS3 are competing for the PS2's user base, they're not expanding the market like the Wii. Do you know anyone with a library of PS2 games that would buy a PS3 that didn't play them?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Sony is so clueless it's not funny. Sure, some folks will buy a PS3 because of the PS in front of it, too stupid to do research about the machine and the game lineup. Arrogance is what's making Sony stumble. I just love the comment by the Sony chief ...

"Without being too arrogant about it, I don't think we worry too much about building up the hype in the first six months, but where the rubber hits the road is going to be when all those hardcore gamers have bought PS3", said Reeves. "They have also bought Xbox 360 and they have probably bought Nintendo Wii as well."

However, Reeves maintained that shifting PS3s in the early days won't be a problem, such is the strength of the PlayStation brand: "We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games."

A lot of folks will buy the PS3 because Sony made it. Me, myself, I like to do research before just blowing $500 on something. I am not cheap - just an informed customer.

They have decided to run with a new playbook and falling squarely on their butts - and I am glad. I hope Sony is humbled - and will learn a valuable lesson from this - past street cred and $5 will get you a vente latte at Starbucks, fools ...

The only way Sony will win this is to go back to what made the PS2 pwn the Xbox - exclusives, exclusives, exclusives ... and the ones they have, folks are very excited about.

ioi said:
North American charts will be updated tonight, 360 sold about 125k this week so not as much of a boost as I was expecting but still very strong.

Thanks for the info ioi. That would mean that quadrupling PS3 sales will happen if PS3 sells 31.25k at most. Definitely possible.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Isn't it a bit more honest to compare aligned launch figures at this time? The 360 might sell more at this point because of multiple reasons like more games after 2 years, but Sony seems to be lining up the big games and features in the near future as well.

Looking at the hardware figures from launch till now shows the PS3 and 360 matching sales almost exactly even with the fact that the PS3 is way more expensive and has less games. Sony hasn't even had their first year in a heavily competitive market and with all the things that went wrong for them they haven't done so bad at all.

Just trying to put some perspective on the matters. I also prefer the PC so don't bother with the immature "fanboy" approach.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

ioi, perhaps you've undertracked the X360? If the UK saw double X360 sales during Halo 3 week compared to the previous week, there should have been a similar effect in NA. Let's just say 150k. ^^