By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan charts, week 26 2009, Wii Sport resort debut

This is going to ultimately prove that Wii Sports sold irrelivent of its pack in status.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

BIG first week sales! I was wrong in my prediction and I´m happy for it. Already showing signs of great legs as well.

wow didnt expect that, but maybe the lack of wii games hyped up this game even more. Awesome sales, already 2nd best wii seller this yr just behnd wii fit. Now it's important how the second week will be, thats what decides how strong the momentum of wii hardware will be. Hopefully it can sustain above the 150k level which i think is very possible

with the choice of bundles for WM+ and the popularity of WSR then it's safe to assume that WM+ will have a decent userbase and will get plenty of support.

I predict a star wars game with WM+ by the end of this year - probably holiday season.

Rhonin the wizard said:

First week sales for the Wii series games in Japan, according to VGChartz(I'm too lazy to look for Famitsu numbers):
Wii Fit - 252,510
Wii Sports - 181,902
Wii Play - 178,367
Wii Music - 106,910

Wii Sports Resort has higher week one sales than all of them, impressive.

I'm not sure what's so impressive in beating those games.

1. Wii Music is considered to be a faillure by most people.
2. Wii Sports and Wii Play were both lanuch titles. Thus they couldn't really break any record.
3. Wii Fit was supply constrained during its launch and was released on Saturday (had only 2 days of sales in its first week compared to 4 days for WiiSports).

350k is quite a good improvement compared to 155k for first day but for a sequal to 3.5  million seller 350k for first week isn't really that impressive. 

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:

First week sales for the Wii series games in Japan, according to VGChartz(I'm too lazy to look for Famitsu numbers):
Wii Fit - 252,510
Wii Sports - 181,902
Wii Play - 178,367
Wii Music - 106,910

Wii Sports Resort has higher week one sales than all of them, impressive.

Wasn't Wii Fit supply constrained in Japan?  As for Wii Sports and Wii Play they were launch titles, the Wii itself sold ~362,000 units and was supply constrained at launch, so I don't see how it's impressive that Wii Sports Resort outsold them given that.

^^ Could we just celebrate for a while :P

Pretty good first week if we compare it to its first day of 155k

megaman79 said:
This is going to ultimately prove that Wii Sports sold irrelivent of its pack in status.

It wasn't packed in.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Could have sold more but someone there fucked it up because it sold almost 100% of the initial shipment. Was it Nintendo not sending enough or retailers trembling with fear expecting another underperforming game? This is one of the worst news I've read all year, retailers or Nintendo doubting the sequel of a 3.5 million game, terrible.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies